ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Order Restored: PSU 2022 National Champs!

There should always be friendly banter. It makes the season more fun IMO. At the end of the day none of us decide the outcome. All of these kids pour their heart and soul into this sport and you have to respect them all. Looking forward to some great matches this evening.
@jmadden1998, it felt good for me to be able to root for a couple of your admirable Iowa wrestlers during the tourney once it was clear there were no negative PSU implications. Having a strong rival in Iowa is good for the sport and good for PSU. Thx for always being a good sport and good luck to your hawks next season.

Max Dean has been out of HS for awhile.

Remember - no RS in the Ivy League - Max wrestled for Finger Lakes WC in 2016-17.

He has now his natty - I bet he moves onto his next chapter.

But, just plug in Michael Beard.
Only question is what Aaron’s plans are. I’m sure he has aspirations of trying to make the next Olympic team at 86 kg. If Dean moves on, I see Beard getting his shot next year to grab a title himself. After that, I think Aaron moves up to challenge him at 197 to get his body ready for 86 kg and an Olympic run.

Reactions: diggerpup
Max Dean ....now his natty - I bet he moves onto his next chapter.

But, just plug in Michael Beard.

I swear I heard Byers announce at Bigs that Dean would not be back next year. If so I salute him. He came, he saw he conquered. He did what he set out to do, and is yet just one more incredible story in the PSU lineage.

Selfishly, I want him back for sure.

I guarantee Michael Beard is a better wrestler given working with Max over the past year and he should be very hungry.

Looking ahead 22/23 , Anyone willing to take a shot at the starting lineup for:
1) Iowa
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State

will look back this coming November

Carr comes in and then Haines and Facundo fight it out for 165 after a Haines RS. SVN moves up to 157 after Carr finishes. #yougotaplan??

1) Iowa
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State

Assuming no transfers

Iowa (Pretty obvious here minus 157)
Spencer
Schriever
Henson
Murin
Reyna/Riggins/Siebrecht
Kennedy
Nelson
Abe
Warner
Cass

OSU (I think their seniors come back and Ryan sends his elite freshman out, he's ready to at least get a trophy again)
Heinselman
Bouzakis
Mendez
Sasso
Paddy
Kharchla
Smith
Romero
Hoffman
Feldman

Michigan is harder to figure out, they will decline in a big way IMO, they lose a lot but haven't particularly recruited well so I'll go off a guess from WrestleStat
Medley
Ragusin
Mattin
Lamer
Lewan
Amine
Walker
Embree
Rogers (guessing they just wrestle him)
Parris

Reactions: diggerpup
1) Iowa
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State

With the transfer rules, my hat's off to anyone that comes close o_O. McSorley's appear solid for today.

Reactions: hlstone
Assuming no transfers

Iowa (Pretty obvious here minus 157)
Spencer
Schriever
Henson
Murin
Reyna/Riggins/Siebrecht
Kennedy
Nelson
Abe
Warner
Cass

OSU (I think their seniors come back and Ryan sends his elite freshman out, he's ready to at least get a trophy again)
Heinselman
Bouzakis
Mendez
Sasso
Paddy
Kharchla
Smith
Romero
Hoffman
Feldman

Michigan is harder to figure out, they will decline in a big way IMO, they lose a lot but haven't particularly recruited well so I'll go off a guess from WrestleStat
Medley
Ragusin
Mattin
Lamer
Lewan
Amine
Walker
Embree
Rogers (guessing they just wrestle him)
Parris
If you’re correct, it seems Ohio State will have the best overall lineup of those three, IMO. Not enough to challenge Penn State next season, barring injuries, but a solid lineup with some potential for some young studs emerging.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Over on Mat.com, someone (I think an Iowa fan, Vak Attack) claimed the following:

"Penn State won the team title 2 hours ago in front of me and about 3k people. It's silly and detrimental to the sport. Dual tournament should decide the team title."

So, I had to chime in:

Well ... Penn State beat Michigan, Iowa, Arizona State, and Nebraska in duals this year: the # 2, 3, 4, and 5 teams at NCAAs.

No need to appeal to appeal to counterfactuals. It's a done deal no matter how you figure it. The race was just for second.
Weird flex, but ok. I never claimed that Penn State would have lost, they'd be heavy favorites in any dual they entered. My one, sole point was that it is lame and weird the way we decide the team champion, and notably bad for the prestige of the award. I am also on the record for years and years wanting it. Penn State was great in this tournament. Starocci, in particular, looked as good as I've ever seen him. But the fact that Penn State actually won the title was when Will Lewan beat (but didn't pin) Jacori Teemer without a Penn State wrestler in sight just sucks as an idea.

I'm the minority on this subject, including among Iowa fans, but it would be a better overall product (and make for better moments) for the title to be decided by a dual meet, where the championship team gets to storm the mat after their championship is won and celebrate.

I was in the building when Penn State won. It was a graveyard, and it takes away from our sport (IMO, and yes, I understand this is very much only my opinion). It was the same last year when Iowa won. The winning of the team championship should be an exciting moment, and in the way we do it now, it's an afterthought. Think about almost every successful sport after the team wins the championship; they're celebrating there on the field/court/playing surface. We don't get that in wrestling (for the teams; individuals obviously get it), and we could.

Weird flex, but ok. I never claimed that Penn State would have lost, they'd be heavy favorites in any dual they entered. My one, sole point was that it is lame and weird the way we decide the team champion, and notably bad for the prestige of the award. I am also on the record for years and years wanting it. Penn State was great in this tournament. Starocci, in particular, looked as good as I've ever seen him. But the fact that Penn State actually won the title was when Will Lewan beat (but didn't pin) Jacori Teemer without a Penn State wrestler in sight just sucks as an idea.

I'm the minority on this subject, including among Iowa fans, but it would be a better overall product (and make for better moments) for the title to be decided by a dual meet, where the championship team gets to storm the mat after their championship is won and celebrate.

I was in the building when Penn State won. It was a graveyard, and it takes away from our sport (IMO, and yes, I understand this is very much only my opinion). It was the same last year when Iowa won. The winning of the team championship should be an exciting moment, and in the way we do it now, it's an afterthought. Think about almost every successful sport after the team wins the championship; they're celebrating there on the field/court/playing surface. We don't get that in wrestling (for the teams; individuals obviously get it), and we could.
I hear what you're saying but the team is competing as individuals over a 72 hour period with many other teams and you can't be there all together all the time... From a PSU perspective, those still wrestling probably don't celebrate until everyone is done wrestling.... I hear you though, was great watching Bo clinch it

Reactions: The Vak
I hear what you're saying but the team is competing as individuals over a 72 hour period with many other teams and you can't be there all together all the time... From a PSU perspective, those still wrestling probably don't celebrate until everyone is done wrestling.... I hear you though, was great watching Bo clinch it
I don't blame the Penn State guys for not being there, most of them had matches that night they probably needed to prepare for, lol.

I had no idea you were on this board!

Reactions: CreggSchinkle
200.gif

so I guess you were thinking this when iowa was winning all those team titles or ok state??well its always been this way!!

For myself, I never went so far as to say 4 National Champions > National Championship. What I DID say was that I thought the PSU fanbase was having a Hell of a lot more fun on that Saturday night than the Iowa fanbase and that we were able to steal some of their thunder even in a year when they won the title. I still believe those 2 comments are accurate today.

Nonetheless, the BEST is winning the title AND having 4 or 5 Champions like we will tonight!

WE ARE!!!
Iowa won their 24th team championship last year which was a helluva achievement. However, there were two conversation points that completely overwhelmed the 24th title. First was Penn State was 4 for 4 in the finals and if you were an HR Iowa fan second was PSU stalls and just prepares wrestlers for specific bouts while Iowa still had the better wrestlers.

Even in HRville the 24th national championship was 3rd or 4th fiddle that did not gets it recognition until Sunday.

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT