ADVERTISEMENT

Opposing Coach Appreciation Thread

PSUbluTX

Feb 7, 2018
I like to poke fun at TnT as much as anybody, but I watched their docu on BTN last night and gained a greater appreciation for what they have done for the sport. For 2 guys from a podunk town in Iowa who had a challenging childhood, the Brands boys have done pretty well with the cards they’ve been dealt. I admire their drive to excel and effort to give their wrestlers every advantage to succeed.

I’d much rather have Cael, Cody, and Casey at the helm of my team for myriad reasons, but I can see why many Iowa wrestlers and fans like TnT a lot. Plus they provide a nearly endless supply of zaniness to give opposing fan bases stuff to laugh about or be outraged about.

I also admire many things about Tom Ryan. For all the ribbing we give TaTo, he seems like a standup guy.

Who are some of your favorite opposing coaches and why?

chatted with Azevedo a couple of years ago at the Scuffle when he had Austin. Liked his demeanor. Kolat seems composed

Reactions: therod
I like to poke fun at TnT as much as anybody, but I watched their docu on BTN last night and gained a greater appreciation for what they have done for the sport. For 2 guys from a podunk town in Iowa who had a challenging childhood, the Brands boys have done pretty well with the cards they’ve been dealt. I admire their drive to excel and effort to give their wrestlers every advantage to succeed.

I’d much rather have Cael, Cody, and Casey at the helm of my team for myriad reasons, but I can see why many Iowa wrestlers and fans like TnT a lot. Plus they provide a nearly endless supply of zaniness to give opposing fan bases stuff to laugh about or be outraged about.

I also admire many things about Tom Ryan. For all the ribbing we give TaTo, he seems like a standup guy.

Who are some of your favorite opposing coaches and why?
Has the BTN done similar programs on other wrestling coaches in (or out) of the conference? (Just curious- I don’t really watch the BTN).

After seeing the TnT documentary on BTN, I am really glad they are employed in a university setting where there are at least some guardrails on their behavior. They could be loose in society where there may be fewer constraints and our awareness of them may be occasional appearances on the evening news.

I had the pleasure of talking to Cael for a few minutes up at the ESU Open when Nolf and Cassar were redshirts. They had 6 or 8 mats on floor, no place to sit. I went over to watch Mcutchen match and Cael ended up standing right next to me. I talked to him when there was an injury to the kid Matt was wrestling. He was very cordial and accommodating.
I met Greg Strobel twice. The one time in a shopping mall , our wives were shopping in same store and we were waiting near entrance of store. He was a classy and very down to earth. He passed away about 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Terry is a moron. Fortunately I don’t need access and have to suck up to that raging lunatic.

Eggum seems like a good guy.
I agree there is definitely some loose screws in Terry's head. Tom actually came across as fairly level headed and likeable in their BTN special. Tom certainly is passionate and extremely animated. I used to lump the 2 of them together as both nuts but it's really just Terry.

I don't know why I think this, but I think Tom Ryan would be awesome to kick a couple back with. Just hits me as a cool guy to hang out with if you get him outside the coaching element.

I agree there is definitely some loose screws in Terry's head. Tom actually came across as fairly level headed and likeable in their BTN special. Tom certainly is passionate and extremely animated. I used to lump the 2 of them together as both nuts but it's really just Terry.

I don't know why I think this, but I think Tom Ryan would be awesome to kick a couple back with. Just hits me as a cool guy to hang out with if you get him outside the coaching element.
well, based on that feature he would be a favorite kids soccer or little le league coach - just gotta win :)

Reactions: PAgeologist
I had a nice chat with JRob a few years ago at the Las Vegas open and he was very cordial and friendly. I know some PSU fans aren't real high on him, but I found him very likeable.

BTW, about kicking back a few with Tom Ryan, I heard he's a pretty straight guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he ordered root beer for the occasion

I had a nice chat with JRob a few years ago at the Las Vegas open and he was very cordial and friendly. I know some PSU fans aren't real high on him, but I found him very likeable.

BTW, about kicking back a few with Tom Ryan, I heard he's a pretty straight guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he ordered root beer for the occasion
Wouldn't shock me if Ryan stayed away from alcohol completely. Or had that occasional one on a beach in Aruba.

Reactions: Ski
First I’ve seen. Made me wonder if Cael would ever agree to be featured in one. Seems doubtful given how disinterested he seems to be in media attention.
Somebody from the Athletic department would have to mandate Cael's participation and even then he would bump up the ladder and point out it taking me away from preparing my guys to kick Iowa's rears and somebody from the Athletic Department would be overruled.

ADVERTISEMENT