ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions, what's the #1 thing an OC brings to a staff

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
There's been a lot of "shallow" discussions on here regarding CJF's motivations, and expectations, in hiring Mike Yurcich imho.

Much of the lack of substance in these conversations accrues to the fact that there has been no discussion as to what the most important element an OC brings to a staff... Is it position coaching, recruiting, "Playbook" (i.e., offensive schemes, philosophy...).

IMHO, the success of OC's at Bama and duhO$U (let's not forget that Ryan Day was hired by Urban Meyer as his OC in 2017 and one year later was named as the heir-apparent) suggests that the #1 thing the OC brings is an impact on the Offensive Playbook and schemes (actually JoeMo was good proof of this at PSU). Watch the films of Bama - their incredible passing success is not just great receivers - they had offensive schemes that put defenders in conclict... look how often Devonta Smith was running wide-open against duhO$U. He was not beating single-coverage on most of these plays, he was running free due to defensive breakdowns - IOW, Bama's OC's schemes beat duhO$U's DC's schemes.

Play design has a massive impact on the success of a play and all the "arm-chair Lombardis" on here who say it doesn't matter at all and the only thing that matters is who you line up at WR (or RB, etc...) are completely full of shit.

i was highly impressed with 'Bama and what they did to free up WRs that were clearly being keyed on by tOSU. That was a clinic. JoeMo, I thought, was really good at running multiple plays with a similar formation and player package so that the D couldn't key from tendencies gleaned from film study. JoeMo's offense was simple, yet complex. I also feel that a good OC, calling plays, can do a good job of anticipating what the D will do and call a play to exploit it. It is the NFL, but the OC of the Browns, made Mayfield comfortable and put him in a position to succeed.

Overall, an OC puts players in a position to succeed in their assigned task. That is no matter if they are playing left guard, WR or QB. It is a daunting task given the lack of maturity and turnover in college ball.

I feel bad for our old OC. He was in a position, with COVID, where it is hard to fault him (unless the staff and CJF hated him). But Yurcic is a step up and is the real deal IMHO. I commend CJF for having the balls to do this. My biggest question is how we can use our offense to sustain drives and protect leads. This has been a weak spot for the entire CJF era.

i was highly impressed with 'Bama and what they did to free up WRs that were clearly being keyed on by tOSU. That was a clinic. JoeMo, I thought, was really good at running multiple plays with a similar formation and player package so that the D couldn't key from tendencies gleaned from film study. JoeMo's offense was simple, yet complex. I also feel that a good OC, calling plays, can do a good job of anticipating what the D will do and call a play to exploit it. It is the NFL, but the OC of the Browns, made Mayfield comfortable and put him in a position to succeed.

Overall, an OC puts players in a position to succeed in their assigned task. That is no matter if they are playing left guard, WR or QB. It is a daunting task given the lack of maturity and turnover in college ball.

I feel bad for our old OC. He was in a position, with COVID, where it is hard to fault him (unless the staff and CJF hated him). But Yurcic is a step up and is the real deal IMHO. I commend CJF for having the balls to do this. My biggest question is how we can use our offense to sustain drives and protect leads. This has been a weak spot for the entire CJF era.

Jones is a really good example - for the season, he completed over 77% of his passes, threw 44 TDs and only 4 INTs. Jones was 36 of 45 (80%) for 464 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs against duhO$U!!!

Now Jones is not the "second coming" of Johnny U or something - those stats have a lot to do with the success of the OC's Playbook and schemes (including anticipating how the defense will react to formations and running the play off that formation that takes advantage of the defensive alignment just as you say). The loudmouth, know-nothings who say the OC, playbook and schemes make no real difference are utterly clueless.

Reactions: 81b&w and Obliviax
Being in sync with the development of the QB, his reads, and reactions to the receivers and their routes.

Unfettered excitement, enthusiasm and unrestrained optimism. As if merely firing a coach isn't enough to get the juices flowing here.......a new OC is always better than the old OC. Once they actually coach a game.....the only good coach is a fired coach.

How many of Nick Saban's coordinators O or D have won a national championship after they left Alabama (where they are hailed as very creative)?

How many of Nick Saban's coordinators O or D have won a national championship after they left Alabama (where they are hailed as very creative)?

There's a huge difference between being a great OC and a great HC. My point in the original post - the #1 thing a great Head Coach brings to the table is not a "playbook" (it is the #1 thing a great OC brings to the table). Just because someone is a great OC, does not mean they will be a great HC (doesn't mean they won't be either - obviously, they have some of the required qualities, but only time will tell if they have all the required qualities of a great HC.).

Reactions: Obliviax
Kirby Smart made it to the NC game which is a huge accomplishment.

To me it's the in game play calling. Everyone can game plan but as Mike Tyson says, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". Our last 2 OCs seemed to continue to beat the same dead horse within the game and failed to adjust the play calling. The way Sark called the CFP final game was a thing of beauty.

To me it's the in game play calling. Everyone can game plan but as Mike Tyson says, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". Our last 2 OCs seemed to continue to beat the same dead horse within the game and failed to adjust the play calling. The way Sark called the CFP final game was a thing of beauty.
Truth here. Sign me up for some of this here

I'm waiting for the UT fans when they play OU or an upsurging Iowa St. I followed Sark at UW and USC not thoroughly impressed, good but not great. He also had coach Huff to lean on with the Offense.

That was like watching a well-oiled machine.

Reactions: nargos5
Unfettered excitement, enthusiasm and unrestrained optimism. As if merely firing a coach isn't enough to get the juices flowing here.......a new OC is always better than the old OC. Once they actually coach a game.....the only good coach is a fired coach.

Wow, such impressive snarkiness! And zero-content relative to the actual OP you're responding to - go figure!

CJF's decision may well have been driven by an opportunity to get the man he wanted initially. If so, it's the type of difficult, but necessary, decision a HC has to make. Maybe he made the decision he felt was best for the team.

Don't disagree with anything you wrote, but the reality is the OC has to create plays and formations that are highly adaptable (i.e., being able to run multiple plays off the same set depending upon how the defense aligns to the set)... to make the kind of changes in "play calling" at the LOS you're referring to. IOW, if the OC didn't design great plays and schemes, he wouldn't be able to do the things you were so impressed with.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think you nail it. Our HS coach called the same first play of the game every game. 36-H. Fullback lead in the 6 hole off right tackle. The idea was to show us execution, even if they were 90% sure of the play, still yielded yardage. Having said that, one must make adjustments to a) play of your strength and b) exploit their weakness. Then there is the situational awareness. Factor in defensive personnel subbed in, the O's personnel, taking into consideration injuries......a lot to consider

I'd like just one game (one shot) with that talent.

I think you nail it. Our HS coach called the same first play of the game every game. 36-H. Fullback lead in the 6 hole off right tackle. The idea was to show us execution, even if they were 90% sure of the play, still yielded yardage. Having said that, one must make adjustments to a) play of your strength and b) exploit their weakness. Then there is the situational awareness. Factor in defensive personnel subbed in, the O's personnel, taking into consideration injuries......a lot to consider
Weather, injuries, what do we do well, not what I like.....

Reactions: Obliviax
Wow, such impressive snarkiness! And zero-content relative to the actual OP you're responding to - go figure!

CJF's decision may well have been driven by an opportunity to get the man he wanted initially. If so, it's the type of difficult, but necessary, decision a HC has to make. Maybe he made the decision he felt was best for the team.
CJF making a good decision? I'll be damned.

There's a huge difference between being a great OC and a great HC. My point in the original post - the #1 thing a great Head Coach brings to the table is not a "playbook" (it is the #1 thing a great OC brings to the table). Just because someone is a great OC, does not mean they will be a great HC (doesn't mean they won't be either - obviously, they have some of the required qualities, but only time will tell if they have all the required qualities of a great HC.).
Not many HC's start there.

Jones is a really good example - for the season, he completed over 77% of his passes, threw 44 TDs and only 4 INTs. Jones was 36 of 45 (80%) for 464 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs against duhO$U!!!

Now Jones is not the "second coming" of Johnny U or something - those stats have a lot to do with the success of the OC's Playbook and schemes (including anticipating how the defense will react to formations and running the play off that formation that takes advantage of the defensive alignment just as you say). The loudmouth, know-nothings who say the OC, playbook and schemes make no real difference are utterly clueless.
Perhaps a little something to do with the talent at every position?

Throw all that out, the #1 thing MY brings is HOPE. HOPE for a great season. Dear God we all need that.

Reactions: 81b&w
What I hope he brings is the ability to adapt the O to the talent he has on hand. Don’t make a pocket passer run the option. Use TEs or WRs or whoever is best. Adapt running game to the backs. Adapt blocking to talent on the line. And adapt to game conditions be it weather or how opposing Ds play.

Can’t run same schemes every year when the talent changes and defenses adjust.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
You clearly didn't watch the CFB National Championship Game then - Bama's receivers were wide open time and again due to defensive breakdowns in duhO$U's coverage. Bama's receivers were wide open due to excellent play design, not a Individuals beating individuals.
might want to rewatch that Buschwood, lets look here...

that aint a busted coverage, 2 guys beat....

that aint a play design just 32 being too slow to carry #3 down the middle of the field...

Reactions: marshall23
Tempo. We need to run some tempo. The fake like we are going to snap it(never do initially), then we all back away and look to the sideline for 15 seconds. No motion, no nothing, then snap it and the play gets stuffed. It's beyond irritating. Run the offense faster, at least on occasion. Get to the line and snap it on occasion.

You clearly didn't watch the CFB National Championship Game then - Bama's receivers were wide open time and again due to defensive breakdowns in duhO$U's coverage. Bama's receivers were wide open due to excellent play design, not a Individuals beating individuals.
So we can pencil in Texas for the playoffs next year....they don't need Bama's talent they have the design that matters.

might want to rewatch that Buschwood, lets look here...

that aint a busted coverage, 2 guys beat....

that aint a play design just 32 being too slow to carry #3 down the middle of the field...

Give me a break Boy-Genius, that's a LB trying to cover Smith off a match-up zone situation! If you don't think the OC's play design got exactly what he wanted out of the duhO$U's defensive scheme, you don't know shit about football.

Last edited:
Give me a break Boy-Genius, that's a LB trying to cover Smith off a match-up zone situation! If you don't think the OC's play design got exactly what he wanted out of the duhO$U's defensive scheme, you don't know shit about football.
Sark was 46-35 as a HC. When did he become a play design genius? When he met Alabama talent. LOL, who the hell do you think you are bullshitting?

thats not what you said. You said 'not a Individuals beating individuals.'. That was a guy just out running another guy!! Plain and simple. It was an Individual beating another individual. If 32 could run better, he picks off the pass!

Sark was 46-35 as a HC. When did he become a play design genius? When he met Alabama talent. LOL, who the hell do you think you are bullshitting?

Wrong again Savant - Sarkisian was considered an Offensive Genius at USC where Pete Carroll made him OC. He was considered such an excellent offensive mind that he was hired by UW in 2009 (Sarkisian's first HC job). His Offenses have been wildly successful everywhere he's been OC contrary to your inane claims (USC was the most successful offensive team in the country when Sarkisian was there. IOW, every team where Sarkisian was OC at the time was among the most successful and productive team in the nation LMAO.).

Wrong again Savant - Sarkisian was considered an Offensive Genius at USC where Pete Carroll made him OC. He was considered such an excellent offensive mind that he was hired by UW in 2009 (Sarkisian's first HC job). His Offenses have been wildly successful everywhere he's been OC contrary to your inane claims (USC was the most successful offensive team in the country when Sarkisian was there. IOW, every team where Sarkisian was OC at the time was among the most successful and productive team in the nation LMAO.).
46-35. and 21 Guns

I’m hoping he brings an offense. And if he seeks long-term job security, onion dip.

thats not what you said. You said 'not a Individuals beating individuals.'. That was a guy just out running another guy!! Plain and simple. It was an Individual beating another individual. If 32 could run better, he picks off the pass!

Good Lord you're such a loser - 32s name is Borland, and he's a LB dipshit. If you think duhO$U ending up matching-up a LB with Davonta Smith in the slot (off a clear match-up zone situation) isn't a clear win for the Bama OC over the duhO$U DC, you just proved, yet again, how football ignorant you are LMFAO.

Anyone who saw OSU play knew they were reluctant to play nickel and dime.....
Lack of DB depth.....LB being the strongest position group.....2 DL out for the NCG....didn't take a genius to create a mismatch for a LB to cover.

Anyone who saw OSU play knew they were reluctant to play nickel and dime.....
Lack of DB depth.....LB being the strongest position group.....2 DL out for the NCG....didn't take a genius to create a mismatch for a LB to cover.

Dude, it was the play design and formation that created the mismatch. Smith was going from the slot and Bama got the exact "match-up" they expected as Jones immediately recognized and exploited. Claiming duhO$U wanted to cover Davonta Smith with Borland, versus a CB because they thought Borland was a better match, is just a plain stupid thing to suggest - beyond stupid. So stupid, I'm done going back-and-forth with an idiot that suggests such nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT