ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions on south end zone seat back seats?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I’m considering changing my season tickets location and was wondering what people thought of the seats above the student section with the seat backs and Mount Nittany Lounge access. I’m getting tired of dealing with bleachers and knees in my back for 3 hours during games. Any opinions from people who have these seats now?

Reactions: psrurock
Don't do it,move as far down in back of the home bench as you can.My secret was to get two rented chair backs to establish your space.Its insane how many people sit in my section without tickets.Also,get seats on the end it makes for easy trips to the head.

I’m considering changing my season tickets location and was wondering what people thought of the seats above the student section with the seat backs and Mount Nittany Lounge access. I’m getting tired of dealing with bleachers and knees in my back for 3 hours during games. Any opinions from people who have these seats now?

Sounds like you’re talking about club seats. That’s going to cost 10 times whatever you are paying now due to the seat license fee.

We have spent quite a few games in SEU chairbacks - my wife refuses to go back to the Kill-or-be-killed environs of bleacher seats... i tend to agree with her now that I’ve morphed into curmudgeon 50+ trophy husband

Reactions: RochLion and Nitwit
I am SEU. You would have to pay me to go back to bleachers. Yeah you are high, but in end zone it is awesome way to see plays develop.
We are fortunate end of row. Last row before steps down to concourse so no one in front of us and railing for footrest.
The downsides are lack of mens facilities and wind can be real nasty in Nov.
Just do it, you wont be sorry!

I am SEU. You would have to pay me to go back to bleachers. Yeah you are high, but in end zone it is awesome way to see plays develop.
We are fortunate end of row. Last row before steps down to concourse so no one in front of us and railing for footrest.
The downsides are lack of mens facilities and wind can be real nasty in Nov.
Just do it, you wont be sorry!

The only real downside is how loud the piped-in music aka faux-atmosphere is up there so close to the loudspeakers

Reactions: BudatPSU
Do south end zone above club but not club. Club level way overrated, expensive, and club area itself gets way too crowded. Person that designed it screwed the pooch IMO.
Being a club seat holder for the past 16 years, I’ll have to respectfully disagree with you. They’re worth every penny. Won’t sit anywhere else.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Buddy has 2 season tix in 2nd row of south upper on the end where the Nittany Lion wind thing is located. It is a long, long walk up there on the ramps. But the chairbacks are worth it and the endzone, coach's angle is pretty good.

guess everyone in the south end zone likes getting pounded in the face with wind, rain, ect.....

guess everyone in the south end zone likes getting pounded in the face with wind, while fan rain, ect.....
Sat there fir the 2005 OSU gamer. . Our knees knocked the fir the entire game but I loved the experience. We even stayed fir 15 minutes with the rest of the fans to celebrate.

Being a club seat holder for the past 16 years, I’ll have to respectfully disagree with you. They’re worth every penny. Won’t sit anywhere else.

As someone who has sat in those club seats and also had the opportunity to sit in club seats in other college football venues, they are average at best. Hell, some of the other club sections include the food...really good quality food. Penn State gouges you all in club section. Only way I will ever sit in the club section again in Beaver is if someone hooks me up for a game. It is awesome you enjoy sitting there as it is your money.

Reactions: First Last
As someone who has sat in those club seats and also had the opportunity to sit in club seats in other college football venues, they are average at best. Hell, some of the other club sections include the food...really good quality food. Penn State gouges you all in club section. Only way I will ever sit in the club section again in Beaver is if someone hooks me up for a game. It is awesome you enjoy sitting there as it is your money.
On your last sentence, couldn’t agree more.

I used to have club seats. THe seats were fine. But the lounge was too narrow and ingress/egress was poorly designed.

I gave them up as kids started to get old enough to be involved in weekend activities and I didn't want a contract. That said I really don't miss them as my seats now are just as good, and egress is much simpler. The only thing I miss is the opportunity to go warm up for a few minutes at half time, even if it'd be in a sardine can.

Reactions: First Last
I have been in the south deck since the 2001 expansion. Spent many years in SCU and moved over to SFU last season (just shifted two seats over yesterday to finally have my block on the aisle!). Much like others, my wife half jokingly/half seriously won't let me move closer to the 50 as she doesn't want to give up the chair backs (and I'm not in a position to donate much more right now for premium seating, lol). I've enjoyed my time there. Also like others, sound system can be a bit loud at times and you can get a wicked wind in November. That said, I am content with my seats. Actually sat under the north deck overhang for MSU last year and, while it was nice to be protected from weather, I felt like a sardine lol. ;-) Best of luck with the decision! Go State!

And BTW, when assessing the value of club seats, there’s been no mention of parking benefit. Yes, I pay a seat license fee, but only need to make a NLC donation of $100. Included with my 2 club seats is a reserved parking spot (in my case, on paved lot) that you otherwise would need to donate a minimum of $2500 to NLC to secure. I’m sure lots of folks understand the value of reserved parking on pavement after last year’s season.

I sat up there for years. Moved down to the lower bowl 5 years ago, Not much to add from the other comments. The thing that stood out for me was that I felt removed from the experience up there. If I was able to get into the first few rows, it would have been better and I probably would have stayed there. The change was also nice for me.

....sat under the north deck overhang for MSU last year and, while it was nice to be protected from weather, I felt like a sardine lol. ;-) ...

I have gone to games where I have no seat w a combination of seat being smaller than the behind on the seat and or people sitting in the wrong spot ..

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Thanks for all the feedback - both ways. My current seats are down low. While I would like to more comfortable I’m not sure I want to deal with the long ramp walks up, and to be facing the wind. I’ll take a look and what is available and decide.

And BTW, when assessing the value of club seats, there’s been no mention of parking benefit. Yes, I pay a seat license fee, but only need to make a NLC donation of $100. Included with my 2 club seats is a reserved parking spot (in my case, on paved lot) that you otherwise would need to donate a minimum of $2500 to NLC to secure. I’m sure lots of folks understand the value of reserved parking on pavement after last year’s season.

Not all club seat parking is on pavement. In fact, most of it is not.

Not all club seat parking is on pavement. In fact, most of it is not.
I realize that, but my spot fortunately is. Means I have a comparable parking spot to folks who are having to shell out $2500 per year to the NLC (vs my $100). Puts the seat license fee into perspective.

We are in SJU (above the club seats) and will never move. Have the NLC points to do so, and have jumped down to 30 yard line row 20 seats w a buddy from time to time, but where we are is much more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the feedback - both ways. My current seats are down low. While I would like to more comfortable I’m not sure I want to deal with the long ramp walks up, and to be facing the wind. I’ll take a look and what is available and decide.

Pace yourself like I do and enjoy the view on the way up.

It's all downhill on the way out!!

Reactions: Nitwit
I realize that, but my spot fortunately is. Means I have a comparable parking spot to folks who are having to shell out $2500 per year to the NLC (vs my $100). Puts the seat license fee into perspective.

Well it's not like you're *only* paying $100 per seat.

"I’m not sure I want to deal with the long ramp walks up, and to be facing the wind. "

Can't tell you how to stay out of the wind, but there is an elevator to the South upper deck

Reactions: MJG-90

You are going to pay an extra 2500/year to sit with rain/wind blowing in your face for the worst, in my opinion, seats in the house. P T Barnum was right ...

Well it's not like you're *only* paying $100 per seat.
Yes, that’s obviously the case. But my point is the delta between the $100 & $2500 NLC donation essentially pays for the club seat license fee. And for those who shell out the $2500 for a reserved spot in red or green lots, they’re still looking at a seat fee before purchasing their season tix.

You are going to pay an extra 2500/year to sit with rain/wind blowing in your face for the worst, in my opinion, seats in the house. P T Barnum was right ...
Not sure if you’re talking about the club seats or south upper deck, but if clubs, your opinion is certainly interesting. Having been going to PSU games since the late 70’s, I’ve sat basically everywhere in that stadium. I’ll take the club seats by a wide margin over other seating options in the stadium (even the suites, as those are so much higher & feeling you’re a bit isolated from stadium vibe).

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Don't do it,move as far down in back of the home bench as you can.My secret was to get two rented chair backs to establish your space.Its insane how many people sit in my section without tickets.Also,get seats on the end it makes for easy trips to the head.

Couldn't agree more about the chair backs, especially if people around you have them. They aren't nearly as comfortable as a real stadium chair back would be, however they guarantee your space is YOUR space.

Unless you have an overactive bladder, I've always found that being on the end is a pain. Sure, it's great when you need to use the restroom, but only during times when the game is happening. If you're trying to get to the concourse during high traffic times, like right before the half or after a close game... you'll be stuck just like everyone else. Also if you don't choose to leave your seat at the half, the half is marred with getting up and down or getting kneed in the back by everyone else who leaves to do their business. I'm up against the railing that splits EHU in half, five rows from the top. Love it up there.

Couldn't agree more about the chair backs, especially if people around you have them. They aren't nearly as comfortable as a real stadium chair back would be, however they guarantee your space is YOUR space.

Unless you have an overactive bladder, I've always found that being on the end is a pain. Sure, it's great when you need to use the restroom, but only during times when the game is happening. If you're trying to get to the concourse during high traffic times, like right before the half or after a close game... you'll be stuck just like everyone else. Also if you don't choose to leave your seat at the half, the half is marred with getting up and down or getting kneed in the back by everyone else who leaves to do their business. I'm up against the railing that splits EHU in half, five rows from the top. Love it up there.
I’m on the aisle now and can make it to the restroom and back during the quarter break without missing a play. Of course I have to endure everyone going up and down the steps right next to me but it doesn’t interfere with my view.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
ADVERTISEMENT