ADVERTISEMENT

Open tournaments

McScoreley

Feb 24, 2019
I know we have our schedule out but I know Cael often sends guys to opens to get the young guys their matches, what are the big ones?

Clarion Open
Bearcat Open

I think George Mason, Lock Haven and Edinboro all host an open?

Likely we'll see Steen, Bartlett, SVN, Facundo at all of those? Feels like it's been forever and getting these young guys these matches will be key to having them ready for March!

I know we have our schedule out but I know Cael often sends guys to opens to get the young guys their matches, what are the big ones?

Clarion Open
Bearcat Open

I think George Mason, Lock Haven and Edinboro all host an open?

Likely we'll see Steen, Bartlett, SVN, Facundo at all of those? Feels like it's been forever and getting these young guys these matches will be key to having them ready for March!
in regards to steen, is he starting this year? i remember hearing a while back that howard was going to sit out to get healthy. is that still the plan?

in regards to steen, is he starting this year? i remember hearing a while back that howard was going to sit out to get healthy. is that still the plan?
I dont think we see him in lineup early on unless Suriano or some other transfer coming in is ruled out. But hell, what do I know...

Willie is adamant that Robbie Howard is going to sit this year. This is his second shoulder surgery, he needs to really rehab it and get healthy. As of today, our 125 will be Gary Steen.

Reactions: nitlion6
Willie is adamant that Robbie Howard is going to sit this year. This is his second shoulder surgery, he needs to really rehab it and get healthy. As of today, our 125 will be Gary Steen.

Gary "Jumbo Shrimp" Steen according to many

Did a quick check, nothing for the good guys yet other than the duals of course, but take a look at the roster for the CKLV. It will be a barn burner.

The Midlands is already stacked as well

CKLV is where Ohio State wins the November National Championship, and Midlands is where Iowa wins the December Big Ten Championship.

I liked it when you guys went to the southern scuffle with Cornell and OSU also there. Do you guys think you will ever be back?

Hopefully getting back to a "more normal" this year, the Penn State guys won't sign up for any open tournaments until just before the tournament, and even then can change their minds. I can provide info for who is going where when the tournaments mentioned above are closer.

Remember, November 1 is the date that competition is allowed, so we have a bit less than a month to go. I do expect more wrestlers at opens, especially at the closer ones since RS's are paying their own way.

Reactions: diggerpup
Cornell is going back to the Scuffle this year. CKLV -> National Duals -> Southern Scuffle. Heck of a month.
Absolutely yes. The program loves the Scuffle, and the AD at UT-Chattanooga is a former PSU Associate AD. What is very unlikely is that this program ever does what you are noting Cornell is doing this year, though I'm having a hard time believing all their starters will be at all three events. PSU's philosophy of peaking for Nationals wouldn't allow for three mid-season events such as the three noted.

Absolutely yes. The program loves the Scuffle, and the AD at UT-Chattanooga is a former PSU Associate AD. What is very unlikely is that this program ever does what you are noting Cornell is doing this year, though I'm having a hard time believing all their starters will be at all three events. PSU's philosophy of peaking for Nationals wouldn't allow for three mid-season events such as the three noted.
Yes, it is a bit of a change from before. I'll say that this is "early-season", as Cornell has the Stanford dual in November, then these three tournaments, then their "regular" dual season. Typically, Cornell does a couple of early tourneys (like Kaloust that is easy, and CKLV which is hard), then their duals that are for the most part pretty easy (it is the Ivy League, after all), then a hard dual or two before EIWAs. This year it is Wisconsin as the last dual. Plenty of time to peak for EIWA and NCAAs, which they've been pretty successful at lately. I'm also guessing that they don't train as hard (er, "have as much fun") as does PSU during the season.

ADVERTISEMENT