ADVERTISEMENT

Open Letter to Judge Boccabella requesting no jail for Spanier from Sue Paterno, Snedden, Lubrano, Schmidt, Schultz, Lord and McCombie

iu
Fat people float.

Before I quit FB, Schultz was very approachable. I wonder come October when Spanks is out of the slammer if they all start talking. Or is there a condition on the sentence where they can't tell the state what a pack of useless assholes they are.
They have all been free to say anything they choose at any time and have chosen not to. I don't blame them for wanting to put this behind them, but their silence is deafening.

They have all been free to say anything they choose at any time and have chosen not to. I don't blame them for wanting to put this behind them, but their silence is deafening.
Well, I think that if Gary really went off, he might think he'd affect GS's sentencing (up to today), no? Now I wonder if he really WILL go off, as it's a done deal.

Reactions: OhHello
So, writing a letter to the Judge, whom presided over the last trial for Spanier, and pointing out every perceived fault during the process, and basically calling him inept/unprofessional/corrupt will certainly enlighten him and change his mind. I'm guessing he will double down on this and dig in harder. That has been the PA judicial standard so far throughout this whole scandal, so why expect it to change, especially with the same cast of characters.

I also don't like Spanier's politics, and certainly don't know all of the facts in the case (lots of bits and pieces, but everyone certainly clammed up or made peace or buried the paper trail, including Curley, Schultz, the Paternos and the Alumni BOT), but jail time for a misdemeanor is ludicrous.

Best way is to get the top dogs pressuring the PA system. Didn't Spanier get Secret Clearance from the State Department around 2012? Get Obama's team pressuring Shapiro to drop it now or no support from them in the upcoming elections. They certainly vetted Spanier for the clearances. Else wise, I think all other avenues are dead ends with respect to the PA political scene
Possibly but I have some serious questions about that "judge" anyway.

Reactions: Fizz1 and nits74
I don't judge people based strictly on their political views. I personally like Spanier and he was popular with the students. He was approachable and like being in the public space. Hell, our last two presidents can't go out among the public without getting booed or a disruption. One thing I will remember about Graham; I saw a very negative article about PSU in a Philly paper (no surprise) long before the Sandusky thing and it pissed me off. I wrote him an email about it. To me surprise I got a lengthy response from him sent around midnight the day after I wrote him. It impressed me that he took the time to write back and with a very thoughtful response.

Reactions: nits74 and Bob78
I don't judge people based strictly on their political views. I personally like Spanier and he was popular with the students. He was approachable and like being in the public space. Hell, our last two presidents can't go out among the public without getting booed or a disruption. One thing I will remember about Graham; I saw a very negative article about PSU in a Philly paper (no surprise) long before the Sandusky thing and it pissed me off. I wrote him an email about it. To me surprise I got a lengthy response from him sent around midnight the day after I wrote him. It impressed me that he took the time to write back and with a very thoughtful response.
He was probably just drunk - like all of us that sent midnight emails.

• Haha
Reactions: mn78psu83
I don't judge people strictly on their political views either. If I did, I would never speak again to certain family members. :) Spanier's political views are not the source of my personal feelings about him. None of that is important to me at this point in my life anyway. I empathize with him and his family. He should NOT be incarcerated. It's a sad travesty.

I don't judge people strictly on their political views either. Spanier's political views are not the source of my personal feelings about him. None of that is important to me at this point in my life anyway. I empathize with him and his family. He should NOT be incarcerated. It's a sad travesty.
yes...one's political leanings should not be a basis of justice. ever.

Corbett laughs at this post.
Thing is, Corbett was left of center (or he wouldn't have ever been elected). So that's not the reason. It's just grudge/vengeance stuff. Graham may be right of fat tom as I type. It's not political - as in political party. It's political as in mafia speak - "You **** with me? I **** with you."

Amazing that Spanier is serving time in jail for this. I agree with whoever said he should have testified.

I really liked the short statement that Spanier issued after Sandusky, Schultz, and Curley were charged. Sadly and wrongly IMO, he and Joe were fired 4 days later.

November 05, 2011
The allegations about a former coach are troubling, and it is appropriate that they be investigated thoroughly. Protecting children requires the utmost vigilance.
With regard to the other presentments, I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support. I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former University employee.
Tim Curley and Gary Schultz operate at the highest levels of honesty, integrity and compassion. I am confident the record will show that these charges are groundless and that they conducted themselves professionally and appropriately.
Graham Spanier

Thing is, Corbett was left of center (or he wouldn't have ever been elected). So that's not the reason. It's just grudge/vengeance stuff. Graham may be right of fat tom as I type. It's not political - as in political party. It's political as in mafia speak - "You **** with me? I **** with you."
You might be the first person on earth to refer to Tom Corbett as "left of center." The guy rode the 2010 tea party wave into office, and his policies fell within those very solidly right-of-center bounds.

SMH

You might be the first person on earth to refer to Tom Corbett as "left of center." The guy rode the 2010 tea party wave into office, and his policies fell within those very solidly right-of-center bounds.
How are those gas taxes working out for you all?

Spanier will serve a 2 month sentence at the Centre County correctional facility

@francofan, any knowledge yet as to whether Spanier will have the chance at a work-release program as Gary and Tim did? Hope so.

Have to hope Spanier gets a decent cellmate; Gary and Tim had each other for most of the time. And, maybe the 2 months will be shortened? I think G and T had their time shortened, yes?

In my very humble opinion Spanier, Curley and Shultz each made the fatal mistake of not testifying. I understand Tim and Gary never went to trial, and I understand Sandusky would have been savaged had he testified, but Spanier was more than capable of articulating his defense and the moment he decided not to, his fate was sealed.

I agree completely. Not testifying is not supposed to be held against a defendant by jurors, but often it is.

The logic goes something like this: "If he ain't guilty, what does he have to fear by testifying? Thus, if he doesn't testify, he must be guilty!"

Amazing that Spanier is serving time in jail for this. I agree with whoever said he should have testified.
In hindsight, maybe he should have testified. But would it have made any difference? We’ll never know. But his counsel clearly was convinced that, after the prosecution made its case, there was no way 12 reasonable jurists were going to find him guilty based ONLY on the evidence provided in court since it is the responsibility of the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. In theory at least, the defense - as difficult as it may be for some to comprehend - is not required to prove innocence. The role of the defense is to create enough doubt in the minds of 12 jurors. From what I’ve read, and from what my attorney friends have told me, not putting up a defense - like Spanier did - is actually a good strategy if the defense believes the prosecution utterly failed at its job (for various reasons).

Of course, such a strategy is invalid when there extenuating circumstances, such as widespread corruption, or when a jury is woefully incapable of thinking critically.

Reactions: AvgUser
While I think Spanier failed miserably in his job as President in regards to Sandusky, he was probably the least culpable of anyone who was actually charged in this mess.
He failed PSU in not taking the step of just calling the police, his job was to protect PSU and that would have been an easy CYA move.....
That being said, assuming he was told it was just horseplay (and to my knowledge, that is the only evidence that was presented) it doesn't seem that a criminal conviction is warranted (not to mention all of the legal technicalities of whether Spanier had a duty to kids he did not know or were not associated with PSU)

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Need to step up the game. Circles are for losers. We should come full rhombus. I don’t think we are ready for full trapezoid just yet.

I can handle circles. The others are too complicated.

I never liked Spanier, or his leadership of Penn State. But he was so much better than the current president of the university.

I do feel badly for the man, and he didn't deserve to have his life and legacy ruined like this. However, while Spanier was railroaded, he ended up bringing it upon himself. Spanier supported an educational system throughout his career, at all levels of education, that resulted in his conviction. Thanks to Spanier and people like him, we have become a society of people who lack critical thinking skills.

So, writing a letter to the Judge, whom presided over the last trial for Spanier, and pointing out every perceived fault during the process, and basically calling him inept/unprofessional/corrupt will certainly enlighten him and change his mind. I'm guessing he will double down on this and dig in harder. That has been the PA judicial standard so far throughout this whole scandal, so why expect it to change, especially with the same cast of characters.

I also don't like Spanier's politics, and certainly don't know all of the facts in the case (lots of bits and pieces, but everyone certainly clammed up or made peace or buried the paper trail, including Curley, Schultz, the Paternos and the Alumni BOT), but jail time for a misdemeanor is ludicrous.

Best way is to get the top dogs pressuring the PA system. Didn't Spanier get Secret Clearance from the State Department around 2012? Get Obama's team pressuring Shapiro to drop it now or no support from them in the upcoming elections. They certainly vetted Spanier for the clearances. Else wise, I think all other avenues are dead ends with respect to the PA political scene
So, writing a letter to the Judge, whom presided over the last trial for Spanier, and pointing out every perceived fault during the process, and basically calling him inept/unprofessional/corrupt will certainly enlighten him and change his mind.

I thought the same thing when I read that letter. If Spanier had any chance to stay out of jail (and I sure don't know if he did) that letter sealed his fate.

As they say, with friends like that, who needs enemies.

So, writing a letter to the Judge, whom presided over the last trial for Spanier, and pointing out every perceived fault during the process, and basically calling him inept/unprofessional/corrupt will certainly enlighten him and change his mind.

I thought the same thing when I read that letter. If Spanier had any chance to stay out of jail (and I sure don't know if he did) that letter sealed his fate.

the letter should have added "...and your kids are ugly too!".

Reactions: CentexLion
an of course the a-holes at ESPN have it on the front page - won't make it anywhere if it was Syracuse.

... Spanier was more than capable of articulating his defense and the moment he decided not to, his fate was sealed.
Did the State say or do anything in any way, shape or form that even remotely indicated Spanier had committed a crime? (semi-rhetorical)

The only thing the state did was set up fat-ass Ditka to yell and scream. She had absolutely, positively NOTHING in her argument that was within light years of being compelling and convincing evidence to indicate Spanier committed a crime. Although I thought he should have testified at the time, I think I understand why he did not. It was beleived that the State did and said nothing of value. Sadly, twelve brain-dead jurors only wanted to go home and made a wrong decision

All I can say is I hope this "Judge" suffers the same fate as Ditka, but hopefully slower and more painful. He deserves nothing less.

As a conservative PSU student, I hated Spanier. And when the Sandusky scandal first broke, I desperately wanted Spanier to be revealed as the true architect of the cover-up.

Now I realize how much my biases clouded my thinking. And I certainly now have a better understanding of how this whole thing blew up in the first place, especially since much of the sports media hated Paterno in the same way I hated Spanier and have spent decades “hoping” for a Joe Paterno scandal.
The sports media loved Paterno. Gushed about him constantly.
The media just likes juicy stories and JoePa was just that.

So do you have an answer to my “question” or are you just fishing for some easy likes?

I suppose your point is that we should just be quiet because it won't make any difference.

Or is your point that the letter should be aimed more as an "appeal to the judge's better nature"?

Whatever.

It is interesting....for centuries in this country, old people supported the legal system and young people (immaturely) railed against it.

Now, after all that time, a substantial portion of older people smell something rotten in Denmark.

What I would like to know is how many 72 year old first offenders regardless of health do time for a misdemeanor? I would guess less than 4-5%. Add to that tha health issues and it probably drops to 1%. Shapiro should be public ally shamed.
Just like the persecutors of Joe, karma will be coming back around...and the final judgement will be made from a much higher authority.

Pathetic , State of Pennsylvania has to get
their last pound of flesh ! ..... Ridiculous !

Reactions: nits74

Judge Boccabella was asked to come out of retirement to hear the cases of Curley, Schultz and Spanier. I thought it inappropriate and odd that he volunteered comments to the press that were outside the scope of those trials, for example his opinion of what Paterno could have and should have done.

Due to the emotions of this entire Sandusky matter there was never a chance that anyone accused would receive a fair process or justice. Anyone who thinks judges are not influenced by politics and public opinion is beyond naive. I know/knew one of the jurists who was very involved in this case. He was a good and decent man who ultimately acquiesced to the politics of the hysteria surrounding the allegations.
This began at the grand jury level when Baldwin tainted and undermined the defense of Curley and Shultz. The only reason JVP was not indicted is he was smart enough to hire his own lawyer.
In my very humble opinion Spanier, Curley and Shultz each made the fatal mistake of not testifying. I understand Tim and Gary never went to trial, and I understand Sandusky would have been savaged had he testified, but Spanier was more than capable of articulating his defense and the moment he decided not to, his fate was sealed. These men were charged with such egregious conduct that they were not going to be acquitted without standing up and saying what they did and why. It is sad that it ends this way for Spanier. Hopefully he will be released early.
I have always thought that the real villain in this entire affair, other than Sandusky, was Baldwin. An incompetent political hack. At the least, she should have advised the admins to hire good criminal defense lawyers but she didn't have the brains or decency to do that.

I can't remember where I heard this but when things go wrong, "... somebody pays...". The system (Child Services), the board members (PSU & 2nd Mile), the politicians weren't going to pay. That left the admins and Joe.

Oh, and f!@# you, too McQueary.

a lot depends on the severity of his cancer. jails have released a ton of non-violent criminals due to COVID and that seems to have ushered in a new wave of sympathy for non-violent jailbirds. If you factor in the low level of conviction (misdemeanor) and treatment while in jail it makes complete sense. He could easily be sentenced to having to stay at home. The issue, to me, will be the sympathy he can gain from his illness versus the negative publicity a judge will get by waiving jail time to a child abuse conspirator (not my point of view but the....ahem...cough, cough....media's).

Good luck to him. I was not a fan of his policies but health and the JS situation make that pale in comparison. Now we know the idiocy Spanier dealt with at PSU.
What I would like to know is how many 72 year old first offenders regardless of health do time for a misdemeanor? I would guess less than 4-5%. Add to that he health

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT