ADVERTISEMENT

Onto Rider: Most intriguing matchup is….

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
#20 Van Ness vs #24 Kinner. I think Van Ness’s pace and skill on his feet will enable him to prevail and walk away with a 4 point win. The interesting part will be how Van Ness handles Kinner’s ride, which IIRC is one of the best in the sport. How do others think it will go? Thoughts? Predictions?

By the way, the link below is an excellent article on Kinner. Kudos to the young man for his honesty and courage in discussing his mental health challenges and bringing light to something that is far more prevalent than most realize.

#20 Van Ness vs #24 Kinner. I think Van Ness’s pace and skill on his feet will enable him to prevail and walk away with a 4 point win. The interesting part will be how Van Ness handles Kinner’s ride, which IIRC is one of the best in the sport. How do others think it will go? Thoughts? Predictions?

By the way, the link below is an excellent article on Kinner. Kudos to the young man for his honesty and courage in discussing his mental health challenges and bringing light to something that is far more prevalent than most realize.

That was a great article thanks for posting that. Will be pulling for Kinner to do well. Sammy Sasso mentioned in the article...I have a whole new respect for him.

He kept Nick Lee to a regular decision in both their meetings last year. I think SVN only barely squeaks this one out and it will be a great dub when he does.

I think this one ends up very close. In the match against Lovett I thought Shayne was a little sloppy on bottom even though he got out. If he does that against Kinner he could be down there a while. And Quinn also defended Nick Lee relatively well on their feet the first time.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Most interested in 165. Hunter Mays. Just graduated from my sons HS. Absolute stud in HS 2x State champ in NJ. Riders 174 Reitsma also from same HS. Carter beat him up last year

Reactions: hlstone

Thanks for the article. It was an inspiring read. Will definitely root for the young man. On this Thanksgiving day, this young man reminds all of us why we are so grateful to have wrestling in our lives. Just last night I was wrestling with my 3 year old grandson. The boy is a beast and loves to rumble & tumble. If I can just avoid his damn koko head butt, we are gonna make progress. It was nice to see how Kinner talks about wrestling at age 4.

Not sure if any of you recall, but after Kinner lost to Nick last year, he was cooling down behind the student section with a PSU fan of probably 5-7 years old. They were racing (sprinting) back and forth together bonding. I spoke with his Mom/Dad after the match and Quinn joined the conversation. Seemed like great people and he made the day for a PSU fan ... after a loss.

149 is going to be interesting to watch this year. After Yanni, Gomez, and Sasso, there is plenty of room on the podium for newcomers.

I predict SVN and Henson will become AAs, plus Kinner (up from 141) will be on the doorstep.

Most interested in 165. Hunter Mays. Just graduated from my sons HS. Absolute stud in HS 2x State champ in NJ. Riders 174 Reitsma also from same HS. Carter beat him up last year
Watched Mays last week at Keystone. Didn’t realize he was a freshman. I thought he is a tough wrestler, will look for him more in the future.

Howell is a powerhouse , my son's school is in the same district &region so we see them a lot and agree that Mays is a monster. Howell has a guy at my son's weight that is one of the top guys in the state and hope he gets a chance to wrestle him this year

Reactions: pish69
Kinner is a good one. I was bummed when Ryan grabbed him. I think his potential is way better than a #24. Now we have some insight into why he seemingly had underperformed so far. SVN should definitely not take this one lightly. I would not be surprised at all if Kinner AAs this year or next now that he is in a better situation.

Not sure if any of you recall, but after Kinner lost to Nick last year, he was cooling down behind the student section with a PSU fan of probably 5-7 years old. They were racing (sprinting) back and forth together bonding. I spoke with his Mom/Dad after the match and Quinn joined the conversation. Seemed like great people and he made the day for a PSU fan ... after a loss.

Confirmed ... I'm rooting for Shayne but I will never root against Quinn Kinner.

Howell is a powerhouse , my son's school is in the same district &region so we see them a lot and agree that Mays is a monster. Howell has a guy at my son's weight that is one of the top guys in the state and hope he gets a chance to wrestle him this year
Cool..we’re practically neighbors. Where’s your son go? Who’s the kid at Howell. I know most of them.

Cool..we’re practically neighbors. Where’s your son go? Who’s the kid at Howell. I know most of them.
My son wrestles at Robbinsville and looks like he will go 175 (wrestled 190 last year but walks around 175) so in the same weight class as DJ Henry who I enjoy watching.

ADVERTISEMENT