ADVERTISEMENT

Only in Columbus Ohio

rrdd2021

Jan 10, 2022
As been discussed on this board, Columbus is now one of the biggest cities in the U.S with an inner city population of around 950,000 and metro somewhere between 2.3 and 2.5 million. They have their big city problems - every day - like everyone else.

It's being reported that the lead in - breaking news story at noon on their CBS station (channel 10) was about their 3rd string running back - Evan Pryor - tearing his knee up (ACL) and out for the season - 3rd string. Then they got to the less important news like murders, rapes etc...... You can't make this $hit up. Just some sick puppies over there

Last edited:
As been discussed on this board, Columbus is now one of the biggest cities in the U.S with an inner city population of around 950,000 and metro somewhere between 2.3 and 2.5 million. They have their big city problems - every day - like everyone else.

It's being reported that the lead in - breaking news story at noon on their CBS station (channel 10) was about their 3rd string running back - Evan Pryor - tearing his knee up (ACL) and out for the season - 3rd string. Then they got to the less important news like murders, rapes etc...... You can't make this $hit up. Just some sick puppies over there
I can tell you've never been to Columbus. It's loaded with hillbillies and their obsession with OSU football is like a cult following

Because lord knows that priorities are never out of whack in State College. Check out this gem from 2020
udJNSHY.jpg

I'm just glad the central PA press -- or PSU fans -- never focused on football stories instead of "real world" events.

Nope. We've never made football an unhealthy obsession or anything!

:)

I can tell you've never been to Columbus. It's loaded with hillbillies and their obsession with OSU football is like a cult following

A whole lot of people have said the same thing about our fan base. Particularly over the past 10-12 years.

I've spent a lot of time in various Big Ten and SEC states. OSU has by far the biggest fan base and the largest presence -- and because of that, they have a LOT of idiots online especially. They're the football version of Kentucky basketball. But while other fan bases are smaller, the most militantly rabid are down south. If you think football is taken too seriously in Columbus, OH, try the state of Alabama.

Nebraska's fan base is probably my favorite -- loyal, passionate, and very fair. Michigan's and ND's fan bases are by far the most arrogant. OSU's fan base is in-your-face, but unlike Michigan and ND they actually have wins this century to back it up. They're like the NE Patriots fan base, while ND/Michigan are like the Dallas Cowboys.

The view of our fan base from outside is very mixed, to say the least. ~30 years ago, I'd say our fan base was respected as one of the best. Not so much any more.

A whole lot of people have said the same thing about our fan base. Particularly over the past 10-12 years.

I've spent a lot of time in various Big Ten and SEC states. OSU has by far the biggest fan base and the largest presence -- and because of that, they have a LOT of idiots online especially. They're the football version of Kentucky basketball. But while other fan bases are smaller, the most militantly rabid are down south. If you think football is taken too seriously in Columbus, OH, try the state of Alabama.

Nebraska's fan base is probably my favorite -- loyal, passionate, and very fair. Michigan's and ND's fan bases are by far the most arrogant. OSU's fan base is in-your-face, but unlike Michigan and ND they actually have wins this century to back it up. They're like the NE Patriots fan base, while ND/Michigan are like the Dallas Cowboys.

The view of our fan base from outside is very mixed, to say the least. ~30 years ago, I'd say our fan base was respected as one of the best. Not so much any more.
Remember that OSU football is Columbus' de facto "pro" team. Because of that, the coverage that that program gets in the Columbus media is similar to what the Steelers and Eagles get in their respective media platforms.

I actually think that OSU's fan base is a good one; they know that they have one of the best programs now and have a great history, but they don't shove it in your face as much as fan bases of some other blue blood programs.

Want a view of our fans from the outside, here you go. There's still plenty of public vitriol for PSU out there over the scandal, which will be remembered for decades. This was posted on Reddit yesterday to a forum that isn't about sports, so the comments aren't necessarily from those that follow football. Most of the comments are not kind and many refer to PSU fans as a cult.

Because lord knows that priorities are never out of whack in State College. Check out this gem from 2020
udJNSHY.jpg
This is a little different than reporting an injury to the 3rd string tailback on the front page. The cancellation and subsequent restoration (granted without fans) of the 2020 football season had significant economic ramifications to state college and the surrounding communities, including Altoona.

Reactions: hlstone
udJNSHY.jpg
Haha, so Pitt's out saving the world while PSU is worrying about saving its season. What happened to the Pitt vaccine?

Remember that OSU football is Columbus' de facto "pro" team. Because of that, the coverage that that program gets in the Columbus media is similar to what the Steelers and Eagles get in their respective media platforms.

I actually think that OSU's fan base is a good one; they know that they have one of the best programs now and have a great history, but they don't shove it in your face as much as fan bases of some other blue blood programs.

OSU has a lot of great fans. I try to surf the various boards of Big Ten rivals, and 11 Warriors is probably one of the best around. Homers, definitely. But most over there have a very realistic view of where they stand and have a nuanced view on most things. Their insiders are really good.

OSU has a boat load of absolute morons on Twitter and Facebook though. More than any fan base I've seen. My guess is that's a consequence of Ohio having bad pro teams, so when it comes football season, the whole state lines up behind OSU. That is good in some ways, but bad in some ways. They attract bandwagon fans more than probably any other CFB program.

I agree with you that some other fan bases are worse. Aside from Michigan/ND and their historical entitlement, I get a kick out of Texas and Tennessee as fan bases. Tennessee might have the worst online fan base in the country from what I've seen.

Pretty accurate assessment.

The main advantage OSU - and LSU - have over the others is that they are - and have been - the only major CF power in their states for decades and EVERYBODY supports and follows them - for the most part. If you think about it, OSU - especially since Tressel - gets almost every Ohio recruit they go after minus the occasional Catholic school kid that picks ND.

And you are 100% correct about ND and Michigan being the most arrogant - especially ND. Both love to throw the "education" stuff in your face when their football isn't going as planned

I still hear pedo state from the type of fan who can't have a decent conversation.

I still hear pedo state from the type of fan who can't have a decent conversation.

OSU is the state of Ohio's pro team TBH.
Seriously, I live in Delaware, OH and I never hear that Pedo State crap at all any more in these parts. Pretty much a thing of the past around here. And let's be honest. every school can come up with some nasty stuff in their history if they dig enough.

Move to Ohio for a year or so, then come back and tell me they don't "shove it in your face."

ADVERTISEMENT