ADVERTISEMENT

Only 25 of 100 games vs Pitt were at PSU

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
There is no doubt that yesterday ‘s game was much more emotional than any Temple or Costal Carolina game. I propose we offer to play Pitt every year at Beaver and pay them $2,000,000. This is more than they net at the gate in most home games.
We have no other rival and rivalries are fun.

Reactions: elfman and Pittski
Whose this Pitt you are referring to? You must mean THe University of Free Beverages and Lobotomies....

Reactions: psu skp
Their fans are the worst in CFB, I hope PSU never plays them again.

Their internet and message board fans are certainly idiots. However, the Pitt fans I saw at the game were OK. Like most fans they cheered when their team did something good but they weren't clowns about it. I saw a number of tailgates which had fans of both teams. They didn't bother anyone and nobody bothered them. I'm not saying an annual game with Pitt is something I want but their real fans weren't a problem. Don't confuse them with the circle jerk crowd on the Pitt message board.

There is no doubt that yesterday ‘s game was much more emotional than any Temple or Costal Carolina game. I propose we offer to play Pitt every year at Beaver and pay them $2,000,000. This is more than they net at the gate in most home games.
We have nothing to gain by playing them. Blow them out like last year and it’s because they stink. Win a close one like this year and it’s because we must not be very good. Lose to them and our season is over. Beating them doesn’t help us in recruiting because we don’t lose recruits to them in the first place. It’s a no win situation .

Their internet and message board fans are certainly idiots. However, the Pitt fans I saw at the game were OK. Like most fans they cheered when their team did something good but they weren't clowns about it. I saw a number of tailgates which had fans of both teams. They didn't bother anyone and nobody bothered them. I'm not saying an annual game with Pitt is something I want but their real fans weren't a problem. Don't confuse them with the circle jerk crowd on the Pitt message board.

That is because the game was in Happy Valley. We treat everyone with class. Go to a game in Pittsburgh. Don’t confuse the Pitt fans who can afford a ticket to an away game, have friends who are PSU fans and who can behave surrounded by a hundred thousand opposing fans with the thuggish apes who will scream every vile slur in the world, curse out old people and vandalize cars with a PSU sticker at their “home” games.

agreed- just as no one would want to be judged by the crowd here

We have nothing to gain by playing them. Blow them out like last year and it’s because they stink. Win a close one like this year and it’s because we must not be very good. Lose to them and our season is over. Beating them doesn’t help us in recruiting because we don’t lose recruits to them in the first place. It’s a no win situation .

What do we have to gain by playing SUNY Buffalo and Idaho?!?!?

These meh/antiseptic OOC slates do nothing but fill some coffers for Sandy and pad some W’s.... glad I’m not a season-ticket subscriber that gets stuck with these clunker tickets...

While this is certainly no recent phenomenon, the absence of at least one compelling OOC matchup is a crime... at least a Pitt game , or, maybe a Syracuse game, allows for that based on “tradition”

NOPE. Don't want to play them. Let's schedule someone else.

What do we have to gain by playing SUNY Buffalo and Idaho?!?!?

These meh/antiseptic OOC slates do nothing but fill some coffers for Sandy and pad some W’s.... glad I’m not a season-ticket subscriber that gets stuck with these clunker tickets...

While this is certainly no recent phenomenon, the absence of at least one compelling OOC matchup is a crime... at least a Pitt game , or, maybe a Syracuse game, allows for that based on “tradition”
Tradition doesn’t get us a quality win. Buffalo and Idaho give us a home game. Will Pitt give us all home games? If so, then I’m all for it.

Before Joe, Pitt was the national power and Penn State was a regional one. Pitt took full advantage of that.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, and with our conference affiliation, there is no need to even schedule them, let alone on an even basis.

Reactions: Ughhh
The model is locked. Psu must have three ooc home games every other year. That means one home and home series and two teams playing for the money. If you want the VTs and Auburn’s you can’t have Pitt.

Before Joe, Pitt was the national power and Penn State was a regional one. Pitt took full advantage of that.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, and with our conference affiliation, there is no need to even schedule them, let alone on an even basis.

They were ok with PSU sacrificing to make the game happen, but now that they need to, they refuse.

Reactions: Nitt1300
...not many here have been around long enough to remember how Penn State has been mistreated by Pitt, Penn and Temple
over the years, and not limited to football...
...all of those schools - who had very successful law and medical schools - railed against Penn State’s efforts to establish their own... with obvious support from their partisan graduates in the Pennsylvania legislature... lest we forget.. :(

Their fans are the worst in CFB, I hope PSU never plays them again.

Pitt fans now saying PSU is scared to play Pitt and that’s why the rivalry is ending. I say that PSU is doing them a favor. Now their fans don’t have to leave the big city (WITH THINGS TO DO) to drive to Creepy Valley.

The model is locked. Psu must have three ooc home games every other year. That means one home and home series and two teams playing for the money. If you want the VTs and Auburn’s you can’t have Pitt.

I see this logic from many of the larger schools, not just PSU. What happened to all of that big TV revenue that comes in from B10 Network, Longhorn Network, etc.? I read that Alabama turned a $17m profit, so why do they also claim they 'need' to have three ooc home games?

I see this logic from many of the larger schools, not just PSU. What happened to all of that big TV revenue that comes in from B10 Network, Longhorn Network, etc.? I read that Alabama turned a $17m profit, so why do they also claim they 'need' to have three ooc home games?
P2a5.gif

Pitt fans now saying PSU is scared to play Pitt and that’s why the rivalry is ending. I say that PSU is doing them a favor. Now their fans don’t have to leave the big city (WITH THINGS TO DO) to drive to Creepy Valley.

Yep, PSU won 10 of the last 12... With Pitt’s wins being against one of the worst PSU teams ever (2000), and the other (2016) being a complete gift from PSU who had the game in hand. PSU is obviously terrified.

I always say and they keep proving me right... PItt won’t make concessions to make the game happen, because they don’t really want to play it, they just want to complain about not playing it.

Those surpluses go elsewhere, to build and maintain facilities, to underwrite other sports, etc. Bama has a novel use for some of it's surplus: they turn it over to the school's general fund.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT