ADVERTISEMENT

One thing about this win

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
I have been following Penn State football for about 40 years. I can’t think of too many dominating wins like this on the road, except when Penn State had a special team.

Also, it is good to see so much contribution from young players. Maybe CJF has something going on here.

Have to remain cautiously optimistic. The OL took a big step forward today. TE blocking also improved. We have big north/south runner with Tron and homerun edge runner with Nick. Chop is a beast off the edge. Carter appears to be next great LB with superior speed. There are dominant athletes on this team that have been missing for seasons. We started 5-0 last year but the back-up situation feels much different with Allar. It comes down to UM on road.

I have been following Penn State football for about 40 years. I can’t think of too many dominating wins like this on the road, except when Penn State had a special team.

Also, it is good to see so much contribution from young players. Maybe CJF has something going on here.
I was optimistic about the DL assuming no injuries. Mustipher, Beamon, Robinson, and Isaac.

I was very concerned about the LBs with Jacobs the only proven player. They were a pleasant surprise today. Carter looks like a player.

The DBs have been as good as advertised.

I expected the OL to be better this year but I haven't been impressed until today. The RBs look really good so far as do the TEs. Did Theo Johnson play?

Tinsley is a player. I'd still like to see more speed deep.

I missed the game due to having to work. First time in probably 20 years that I didn’t make sure I was able to watch a big game and I’m regretting it now for sure. I told my father this morning this reeks of one of those games we can’t ice in the 4th qtr and lose by a field goal. I’m glad I was wrong!!

I think the injury recovery for Isaac is almost over. He seemed much more aggressive and comfortable today. If he and Robinson are both tough to block 1 on 1, it makes us that much better. Especially with those SAM backers coming along with them.

Reactions: bison13
Great win.

I have only one tiny complaint/desire for the future. Please, please, please, punt on 4th down. Especially early in the game against a good team. I really don't want to be screaming at my TV , or from the stands at home games any more. I don't care what the "analytics" tell you. If you are playing a good team, please punt. If PSU had a great record of success doing this, I might say ok, but they don't so learn from that. If they did, I doubt I would be complaining.

Great win.

I have only one tiny complaint/desire for the future. Please, please, please, punt on 4th down. Especially early in the game against a good team. I really don't want to be screaming at my TV , or from the stands at home games any more. I don't care what the "analytics" tell you. If you are playing a good team, please punt. If PSU had a great record of success doing this, I might say ok, but they don't so learn from that. If they did, I doubt I would be complaining.
I think Manny is going to gain more of Franklin's confidence in this defense. We might see a bit less of this in the future.

I concur. Virtually every facet of this team is trending up ….and it is largely quite young. Future (and present) is/are bright.

Last edited:
Great coaching and player development with
lights out recruiting of talent all evident this season in all phases. Could be a special year. Sean coming back has been huge both for this year’s success but also helping in Allar’s development. Singleton is so exciting to watch and may be best running back in the country. Over 330 yds in 30 carries and 11 ypc— and 4 breakaway TDs!!! Both lines took big steps forward. Ohio St and Michigan both look strong so there will be some epic clashes in October— and Minnesota may be good as well. Michigan St looks beatable.

Great win.

I don't care what the "analytics" tell you. If you are playing a good team, please punt. If PSU had a great record of success doing this, I might say ok, but they don't so learn from that.
They’re 3 for 6 on the year on 4th. decisions to go have been good. Don’t beat Purdue otherwise

I thought of 23-3 over Alabama in '86. To your point, that is a long time ago and a National Championship team.

They’re 3 for 6 on the year on 4th. decisions to go have been good. Don’t beat Purdue otherwise
I've always been a proponent of punting.....especially early in the game on the road. Give your guys the chance to "get their legs" and trust your defense. But, there are valid arguments either way. Back in the day coaches would say.....depends who has the chalk last.

Reactions: hlstone
Manny is still sorting it out on defense but coming out of the bye week expect your LB starting corp to be Jacobs, King, and Carter. Those guys fly to the ball. Carter is doing the double sticks proud! Secondary is as good as I’ve seen at PSU and love the man on man, in your face scheme. Get a consistent rush up front and they can go toe to toe with the best in the B1GEast.

Manny is still sorting it out on defense but coming out of the bye week expect your LB starting corp to be Jacobs, King, and Carter. Those guys fly to the ball. Carter is doing the double sticks proud! Secondary is as good as I’ve seen at PSU and love the man on man, in your face scheme. Get a consistent rush up front and they can go toe to toe with the best in the B1GEast.
Right with ya Ian on the press coverage, though I worry about all the yellow hankies we are going to see in the meat of our big10 schedule. I’m not suggesting a change, but I have a bad feeling we will get jobbed somehow someway.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Nobody has mentioned the +4 turnover margin yesterday. That is not typical of our recent teams. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

I'd really like to see #99 Coziah Izzard and #92 Smith Vilbert get on the field. Whether injury or doghouse they would create additional depth. Vilbert, if I recall, had a really great bowl game. You can never have enough pass rushers.

Great win.

Or, don't call the same play that worked twice in the game before. I was thinking there's no way they would run the exact same play, and that they were going to run a pitch off that formation instead.

M
Great win.

Might as well get used to it, he’s not going to change.

Reactions: johnmpsu
I don’t have a problem with the 4th down gamble, but didn’t like the play call. Needed almost a full yard, not a few inches.

Very happy to see good run blocking against a solid defense.

I was very worried about losing Ebiketie and Dotson. Chop and Tinsley have filled those voids very well.

Singleton, Carter, and Allar are huge additions.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I don’t have a problem with the 4th down gamble, but didn’t like the play call. Needed almost a full yard, not a few inches.

Very happy to see good run blocking against a solid defense.

I was very worried about losing Ebiketie and Dotson. Chop and Tinsley have filled those voids very well.

Singleton, Carter, and Allar are huge additions.
We got almost three yards with that play against Purdue.

Reactions: marshall23
As good as the rush looked with the sacks, Auburn pass blocking looked equally bad. Surprising, almost like their OL was out too late the night before.

It wasn't long into this game before it was obvious which team was better. The only doubt was whether PSU would lose by making mistakes.

Was adrenaline playing a role that we did not see in the Purdue and Ohio games? Seems like it.

ADVERTISEMENT