ADVERTISEMENT

One Month Away, and Never Forget

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
The first day of official practice is October 10 each year, or one month from yesterday. The first date of allowable competition dates is November 1. The season will be here before we know it. The first team meeting was held several weeks ago, between the coaches and wrestlers, and the secret three-ring binder society will meet next week at my place, the Antagonist Committee only for this first meeting.

Unrelated to wrestling, but thinking about this today as a patriot...NEVER FORGET 9/11.

Last edited:
Sad day. Remember it like it was yesterday. Was working in Pa at the time and remember the wife calling me crying asking if I was ok. I was like yeah why? She told me to turn on TV and watching what was going on and seeing all the destruction was sickening.

Thoughts and prayers to all the families of the victims, responders and anyone who lost a loved one that dreadful day.

Never forget...

Many cops and firemen who responded to the rubble pile are still dying today from 9/11 related illnesses. Sad.

960x0.jpg

I was living in West Africa at the time and heard the news on the radio while driving in my car. I went home and told my wife and she was sure I was kidding--absolutely couldn't believe it. The hardest to hear was being told by someone over there that it was fake and that the US had done it to themselves for propaganda purposes. A sad day in American history that has changed things forever. But, boy did America pull together for a while. It would be great if we could pull together again without that kind of a catastrophe! (I guess this thread has gotten kind of hijacked too)

Last edited:
... Unrelated to wrestling, but thinking about this today as a patriot...NEVER FORGET 9/11.
Of course, the bad guys’ goal for 9/11 was to enrage and provoke us. They want us to neverforget in a certain way. So, we should not be suckers, and we should neverforget in the other way that actually helps us.

Never Forget!
USA!
WE ARE!
Penn State Wrestling!
The Hero's of 9/11 and the Hero's of the wars thereafter make it possible for all of us to enjoy our lives, enjoy our families, and enjoy Wrestling!

Reactions: DIFFT81
Never Forget!
USA!
WE ARE!
Penn State Wrestling!
The Hero's of 9/11 and the Hero's of the wars thereafter make it possible for all of us to enjoy our lives, enjoy our families, and enjoy Wrestling!

The Hero's both before and after 9/11 and their sacrifices allow us to enjoy what we have today. Show your appreciation to all Vets and First Responders. Without them, then what would we have?

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
I've lived about a mile north of the WTC area since 1997 and was working in the Chelsea Market building that day, for Major League Baseball, so saw the whole thing out my window. I knew eight people who died that day.

One of the eight was my HS wrestling teammate, Mark Colaio--we were usually paired b/c we were 148 and 158. More than anyone he taught me how to throw in legs and ride. I didn't even realize he had been living in the city and working for Cantor Fitzgerald. Another HS friend who I didn't realize had died until weeks later was Durrell "Bronko" Pearsall. Not a wrestler but my school's best football prospect at the time. He was a firefighter who was the captain of the FDNY's football team.

Today I know a few people who spent a lot of time down there while it was still smoking and have since gotten sick.

I walk, run, and bike down to that area often, and am glad they've finally gotten it together, after so many years of construction and confusion. The memorial(s) is/are impressive and appropriate. It's worth visiting if you get a chance, but it's probably still smart to buy tickets in advance.

NYC is always going to be a target (recall, 9/11 was the second attack on the WTC), and I'm acutely aware it could happen again and probably will. So I'm not really a fan of fireworks anymore because my mind goes right back there. But I still love it here and always will.

As I'm watching the 911 documentaries on TV tonight as I do every year on this date. I hope that the generation that wasn't even born when the attack happened but are now young adults understand the consequences that our great country suffered on that day.

Without going into detail about what I do.I can tell you I had to provide some services for some of the victims families.

I also had the unique experience of meeting one of the pilots about 10 years prior to the attack. I was at a wedding and the Maid of Honor was married to Marine Pilot ,Michael Horrocks, who was co- pilot of Flight 175, second plane to hit Towers.
Michael was from Hershey High School and then became starting quarterback at West Chester University.
http://neverforget.afa-cwa.net/flight-175/michael-horrocks/
I Will Never Forget.

Reactions: diggerpup
Monday morning I drove down Route 17, where at one point, there was a great view of the NYC skyline with the WTCs dominating.

After a week of hell, on Friday afternoon I was driving that same stretch back to the north, when GWB was speaking at the National Cathedral. Looking in my rearview mirror, I could see the same skyline, with the WTCs reduced to a smoldering heap. One of the most emotional moments of my life.

Monday morning I drove down Route 17, where at one point, there was a great view of the NYC skyline with the WTCs dominating.

After a week of hell, on Friday afternoon I was driving that same stretch back to the north, when GWB was speaking at the National Cathedral. Looking in my rearview mirror, I could see the same skyline, with the WTCs reduced to a smoldering heap. One of the most emotional moments of my life.
Today, while watching some of the playback I started getting tears. Just like every other year. I always have to turn it off and I take my dog for a good long run.

To understand the impact on us all, knowing the impact on those that lost their lives or suffer from all the health effects from being there are immeasurable … this is one of only two events that nearly everyone my age (or so) and older can recall exactly where we were.

To understand the impact on us all, knowing the impact on those that lost their lives or suffer from all the health effects from being there are immeasurable … this is one of only two events that nearly everyone my age (or so) and older can recall exactly where we were.
I believe WeAre about the same age. For me, this ranks at the top. Others are the JFK shooting, the moon landing, space shuttle explosion, death of Elvis, and the death of Princess Diana.

Flying a Citation Ultra from Madison, Wisc to Detroit that morning. We were ordered out of the air over Lake Michigan. When we missed the Holland, Mi. Airport, flight controllers started screaming that military jets would be scrambled. We got down in a hurry .... and only grasped the situation when we entered the tiny pilots lounge. Will never forget that feeling.

Reactions: diggerpup
I believe WeAre about the same age. For me, this ranks at the top. Others are the JFK shooting, the moon landing, space shuttle explosion, death of Elvis, and the death of Princess Diana.
The JFK shooting is what I was referring to. The others are indelibly marked in many people's memory too...but the JFK and 9/11 events stand alone from talking with others.

Reactions: nitlion6 and tomsc
ADVERTISEMENT