ADVERTISEMENT

One difference b/w Sanders and Barkley is that Sanders hits the designed hole more often............

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
than not. Granted Barkley (my favorite PSU RB) had the ability to just go lateral and out speed and power most to make gains. I noticed at the end when Sanders attempted to make something outside instead of the designed play and lost a yard; Franklin went out of his mind.

With that mouthful, Sanders looks to be the real deal and that wheel route was a TD that could have been left to stand.

than not. Granted Barkley (my favorite PSU RB) had the ability to just go lateral and out speed and power most to make gains. I noticed at the end when Sanders attempted to make something outside instead of the designed play and lost a yard; Franklin went out of his mind.

With that mouthful, Sanders looks to be the real deal and that wheel route was a TD that could have been left to stand.

Franklin went apeshit because we had a first and goal at the five-yard line. Sanders needs to know you go north/south and get his yards in this scenario. It was a dumb play that could have cost us a touchdown against a better opponent.

True, but in Saquan’s defense, he often didn’t have much choice. It seemed to me the is giving their backs a shot at hitting holes now.

That said, Sanders has a real nice elusiveness about him that is subtle and very effective- a little hip swivel/head shake, especially between the tackles and backers

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'd bet that they focused on lost yards rushing during the offseason. You can see now that the handoff is usually made with some forward momentum. The QB and RB are not standing still. That doesn't change unless they worked on it. Barkley needed to go sideways at times because he had tacklers in his face in the backfield before even getting the ball. Sanders may not get as many breakaway runs between the tackles but his stats in the end will probably wind up looking better.

I'd bet that they focused on lost yards rushing during the offseason. You can see now that the handoff is usually made with some forward momentum. The QB and RB are not standing still. That doesn't change unless they worked on it. Barkley needed to go sideways at times because he had tacklers in his face in the backfield before even getting the ball. Sanders may not get as many breakaway runs between the tackles but his stats in the end will probably wind up looking better.

last year we frequently had contact from DL at the RPO handoff. SB and Trace together lead the conference for negative rushing.

Miles had higher ypc than SB last year, and will exceed that number this year. Miles does not have the same home run capability as SB, but he is better at that than i thought.

True, but in Saquan’s defense, he often didn’t have much choice. It seemed to me the is giving their backs a shot at hitting holes now.

That said, Sanders has a real nice elusiveness about him that is subtle and very effective- a little hip swivel/head shake, especially between the tackles and backers
Please don’t start that. Right now the oline is the same as last year. Barkley never ran short yardage north and south very well that is probably why he went wild last night because he is about taking what the defense gives you.

Please don’t start that. Right now the oline is the same as last year. Barkley never ran short yardage north and south very well that is probably why he went wild last night because he is about taking what the defense gives you.

You don't think our OL is any better than last year?

Do you forget our struggle to run on anybody?

Ran pretty well against Washington and Michigan two very good defenses. I think Barkley struggled against MSU and osu in short yardage. That is why I think miles will be better in those short yardage situations that are needed to move the chains. Maybe less of a homerun threat but our philosophy has been to take what the defense gives you.

I think Barkley had to improvise more because of the RPO. Sanders seems to have more designed runs. Very different backs but both fun to watch. I think Sanders is going to have a great year!

Barkley's biggest weakness was his refusal to merely put his head down and grind out a 1 yard carry when the defense had the right call. His constant sense of urgency also led to broken tackles, huge gains, and got him drafted #2.

Miles will definitely be a better inside runner. He has the ability to go outside (see the wheel route), but I don't think we have scratched the surface of this yet.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT