ADVERTISEMENT

On this, the 6th Anniversary of Joe's passing...

An educator to the end, Joe's last lesson to us is a bitter one, but possibly the most important: A single decision can damage an exemplary life. Turn a triumphant epic into a cautionary tale.

The good he did is vast, probably beyond measure, and the world is a colder place without him.

Rest in Peace.

398654_10150508307038198_90410823197_8763500_1995300053_n_original_original_crop_north.jpg

If I remember correctly, the decision not to hold a press conference was Spanier's. Joe wanted to, but Spanier overruled him. The second part - yeah, agree.
The overruling came from Surma via Spanier.

And FYI the OGBoT would have you believe that Joe’s attempt to speak with the media was the insubordination for which they fired him.

An educator to the end, Joe's last lesson to us is a bitter one, but possibly the most important: A single decision can damage an exemplary life. Turn a triumphant epic into a cautionary tale.

The good he did is vast, probably beyond measure, and the world is a colder place without him.
He was a great man. His getting caught up in that complex situation advanced long-overdue movements and shifts in how we approach various uncomfortable issues and violations. Too many chose the easy path leading to the nonsensical conclusion he was a phony. That's not true and it wasn't that simple. Society didn't see these situations for what they are. That's changing.

I thought then, when in disbelief of what was happening, that his sacrifice may have been his last great gift to us--as a man who championed learning and growth. That his actions have since been adopted as the textbook right way to respond complicates the oversimplified narrative and just may prove an elegant source of what will hopefully be his redemption. Now these reports are handled differently and the path to reporting and investigation is clearer.

What good person doesn't regret not doing more when looking back at a regretful situation? He was human. And he was a great one.

Rest in peace, Coach. You made a difference.

PS: and it's really sad that it's so difficult to look back at the life of a great man without constantly grappling with the regretful last chapter. Just so sad.

Joe was a remarkable human being, and did a lot of good for a lot of people- and not only for his players. He tried to make Penn State a better school and a better place, and he largely succeeded in those efforts.

That others have since made it worse can in no way be blamed on him.

For me, Joe was one of the most influential men in my life....amazing because he is a guy I never physically met.

I learned a lot of things from Joe: Success with honor, that execution is most important, to put pressure on your opponent and strike when they make a mistake, to treat EVERYONE equally, that preparation dictates performance...and many many more.

What I learned five years ago is that you can do everything right, you can go by the book, and still be hammered. What that means to me is that you are not defined by what other people say or do. You are defined by what you've done and how you treated family and friends. You are defined by what you know is right and how you pursued that.

For good or for bad, Joe was always teaching.

Hard to believe that 6 years have past since Joe's Death. In turn 6 years have passed in my life also. When Joe passed my life forever changed. Joe's passing has been as monumental as events like 9/11. I miss him and God bless Sue and the rest of the Paterno family.

This montage made my 18 year old daughter a life-long PSU fan. On Saturday she got an email saying she was accepted into PSU's school of nursing. Proud moment for me her dream come true. Btw her twin sister committed to another big ten school for soccer. It will be tough and I didn't want to hijack this thread but it pulls at your heart strings.

For me, Joe was one of the most influential men in my life....amazing because he is a guy I never physically met.

I learned a lot of things from Joe: Success with honor, that execution is most important, to put pressure on your opponent and strike when they make a mistake, to treat EVERYONE equally, that preparation dictates performance...and many many more.

What I learned five years ago is that you can do everything right, you can go by the book, and still be hammered. What that means to me is that you are not defined by what other people say or do. You are defined by what you've done and how you treated family and friends. You are defined by what you know is right and how you pursued that.

For good or for bad, Joe was always teaching.

You are really full of crap. I once thought you sane. You are saying that you wouldn't
have known that "success with honor" is better than success by being a weasel if Joe
hadn't said so? And "put pressure on an opponent" is laughable considering his " bend
but don't break" defense and pedestrian offense. Franklin and Pry put pressure on an opponents.
Learn from them. Joe treated everyone equally is really funny since most people know he often played
his FAVORITES instead of the better man. And that Joe did everything right manure has been spread
by you and those of your ilk for years and nothing has sprouted.

You are really full of crap. I once thought you sane. You are saying that you wouldn't
have known that "success with honor" is better than success by being a weasel if Joe
hadn't said so? And "put pressure on an opponent" is laughable considering his " bend
but don't break" defense and pedestrian offense. Franklin and Pry put pressure on an opponents.
Learn from them. Joe treated everyone equally is really funny since most people know he often played
his FAVORITES instead of the better man. And that Joe did everything right manure has been spread
by you and those of your ilk for years and nothing has sprouted.

I'd tell you to go fvck yourself, but your wife says that you don't have the equipment.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Lion8286
Thanks RO for the memory. I'm a bit late getting to this post. The video brought back so many thoughts of a man that did more for PSU than any other person and while I never knew him personally (shook his hand once at an event in Columbus at which he spoke), I felt that I did know him well and he was a huge influence on me. Seeing the video and seeing what has happened since his death and most recently Nassar and how the public and the press have been relatively silent in comparison to how they tore PSU and Joe apart, it makes me wonder were the hell is his statue? Where the hell is the University in restoring Joe's legacy on campus? The time is right. That was the promise I believe made to all of us; when the time was right.
I quit my financial support to the University when they threw him under the bus, except for the 2¢ check I sent them in Joe's memory as an acknowledgement to his quip: "I want your money, just not your 2¢", which they, yes, cashed.

The time is indeed right.
26962056_10213828830568605_7988160900744164631_o.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT