ADVERTISEMENT

On the Verge at 49/57

Mom walks in bedroom. "Son, you'll go blind." "Ah Mom, I'm just making weight. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice for the team."
Yeah... Going blind was a common threat, but having hairy palms was the one that seemed to cause the most anxiety among youngsters. IIRC, most of my associates would have much rather been blind verses hairy palms.

Reactions: danoftw
there is a current D4 coach that i saw come in Monday morning to the early practice before school 30lbs over the weight he wrestled the thursday before. We had a match that saturday, so in 5 days he lost the 30lbs.

But we were awful after weighins, mix in weekend parties and chasin the muff around....and it made weight training hard.

I packed on the pounds during what I call the 2021 drinking season. It starts Memorial Day and ends at New Years. Well this year I got up to 240lbs, the most I ever weighed. I dont wear it badly with my size but it still was awful. I started working out again, not drinking beer at home, and drinking some shakes at lunch and Im down 15lbs so far. My goal is 200lbs by June. Losing weight was always easy for me. But getting old sucks and its not as easy as it once was.

I heard a story about a kid at a rival school, a few ounces over at weigh-in, he allegedly whacked off to make weight. Later on I will add a few stories, I am pre 97.
Also buzzed off his palm hair?

there is a current D4 coach that i saw come in Monday morning to the early practice before school 30lbs over the weight he wrestled the thursday before. We had a match that saturday, so in 5 days he lost the 30lbs.

But we were awful after weighins, mix in weekend parties and chasin the muff around....and it made weight training hard.

I packed on the pounds during what I call the 2021 drinking season. It starts Memorial Day and ends at New Years. Well this year I got up to 240lbs, the most I ever weighed. I dont wear it badly with my size but it still was awful. I started working out again, not drinking beer at home, and drinking some shakes at lunch and Im down 15lbs so far. My goal is 200lbs by June. Losing weight was always easy for me. But getting old sucks and its not as easy as it once was.
Apparently you need to step up your self love.

Gatorade gum . . . that brings back some memories, all of them bad! I still can't believe my parents allowed me to cut as much weight as I did. I can still remember a photo of me with my cheekbones all sunken in. My worst cut was the time I weighed 154 1/2 on a Monday morning and had to make 136 by early Thursday afternoon. I only skipped school once, and that was with my mother's permission so I could run that day so I could make weight. Cutting weight took all the joy out of the sport for me and I regret it to this day. It also explains why I could beat very good wrestlers in practice, but lose to lesser wrestlers in real matches. I had no energy after the cuts. I always tried to pace myself in matches because I knew I wasn't going to make it the full six minutes otherwise. This led me to not wrestling up to my skill level and that kept me from being as successful as I could have been. So, not only did cutting so much weight steal my enjoyment for the sport, but it made me a worse wrestler. I am so glad most of the wrestling community has wised up about this topic.
Wow, all these comments on weight cutting bring back lots of memories and as most have said ..'not good memories'. I wrestled at Bloom U back in the mid 60's when Russ Houk was head coach and Gerry Maurey (of Clearfield High and Penn State wrestling fame) was assistant coach. Back then they had freshman teams and I wrestled the 115 lb weight class. Came into the season weighing 139 lbs. We'd come into the practice room and the temp was turned up as high as it would go and there was a bag of ice wrapped around the thermostat ..we'd be wearing plastic/vinyl suits. Afterwards there would be a 'sweat box' in the locker room. Matches back then were 9 minutes ..3 three minute periods. As I recall, the weight cut would be 'tolerable' until after Christmas break and then it turned into misery. We wrestled freshman teams from other schools but we had one match that year with Stevens Trade School which was a 2 or 3 year school so our freshman team essentially wrestled their varsity. Stevens trade didn't have a 115 lb wrestler so Houk tells me the night before the match that he's moving me up to 123 lb to wrestle. Not having a clue about good weight management and having the opportunity to eat ..I did. The next day my buddy and I went to a restaurant across the street from Waller Hall..might have been called Husky Corner and I stuffed a cheeseburger and fries and a soda down about 3 or 4 hours before the match. I was having a decent year that season but also had some loses but I have never been as physically beaten as I was that day ...and realized that all that food I threw down was coming back to haunt me. At the end of the season Houk called me in for a meeting and proceeded to tell me he could make a champion 115 lber ..and all I could think about was there was no way in this world I was ever doing that again. I ended up transferring to Penn State and wrestled intramural at my natural weight and enjoyed wrestling again for the first time in a long time.

You're showing your age. The "muff" went the way of earth shoes.
giphy.gif
Flagged.

I avoided cutting 'almost' my whole career given I was a bit of a bean pole back then. My Sr year our coach had the great idea that the only way we could compete with Trinity was for everyone to go down one weight. At the time Trinity was the perennial powerhouse in WPIAL

I spent the week running wearing a trash bag under my sweatshirt, spitting into a cup, saunas, and more only to miss the drop from 145 to 138 by half a pound. Several other kids didn't make it either.

Then the coach had another brain storm; to move about 1/2 of us up a weight. I faced one of the Oliverio twins @ 155 weighting 138 1/2. I believe he won states that year. To add a better visual, I was over 6' tall at the time.

He tossed me to my back within the first 15 seconds, but somehow I go out of it and lasted the period. The second period did not go so well. I discovered the best way to make a bad wrestler worse is too force a cut.

Thats weird I just told my wife my goal is to see 200 by early summer. I coach two kickboxing exercise classes per week and do two other high intensity workouts a week as well. My issue has always been I love to eat so I'm doing the shake diet for now with little to no carbs unless they are good carbs. It always comes down to the freaking food man. I'll check in with you when I'm getting close to 200. Have 20 pounds to go started at 240

Reactions: dunkej01
As long as we're sharing weight-cutting stories, I'll share one of mine. I wrestled back in the late 60's early 70's. My junior year of HS at certification I was already pretty slender and weighed in at 121. Our coach said, "We have someone else who could wrestle 112, would you be willing to go down to 103?" I was young and trusting and said yes. It was really rough. The last 2 weeks before the first match I couldn't practice (was too tired), I just sat on a radiator in a rubber suit and even then only lost about 1 pound in the suit. I could hardly walk up the steps at school between classes. My parents took me to see our family doctor (who was the Dr who certified me at 103) and he put me on "Pep pills" (a kind of somewhat milder amphetamine). When I was on that, I could run up the steps at school, wasn't hungry at all at lunch, but I came "down" around practice time and could only lie on the radiator. After 3 days I took myself off it, as I hated the feeling of coming down from them. The first match I almost passed out on the mat. As the season went on I got somewhat used to the weight, but it was a tough pull. I'm only 5'8", but I'm sure that without the weight-cutting that season I'd have been 6 ft (or at least more than 5'8"!). OSU aside, I'm glad that there's not as much severe weight-cutting as there used to be. It's NO FUN!

I'm looking at Jacori Teemer's results to see if he's a clear 3 behind Carr and Deakin ... nope. He is undefeated and the highest returner behind those 2 but at a 31% bonus rate, few SV/TB matches against non AA guys, he definitely can lose. I think he just got super hot in the tournament last year. Getting Brady qualified is huge. 157 can be a case like 149 last year where a 20s something seed is 3rd. If Kaleb Young gets 3rd (yes it's possible), that completely changes the dynamic of the team race.

Barraclough as tough as he is, I can't see him sneaking into Top 6 at Big Tens. Brady isn't guaranteed but he can. So worse case, we're going from 0 to 0 there and lose Brady's seed at 165.

If Creighton is qualified, I can see him getting something similar to Brady (2-3 points) so it's not a major sacrifice.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01 and Ski
I'm looking at Jacori Teemer's results to see if he's a clear 3 behind Carr and Deakin ... nope. He is undefeated and the highest returner behind those 2 but at a 31% bonus rate, few SV/TB matches against non AA guys, he definitely can lose. I think he just got super hot in the tournament last year. Getting Brady qualified is huge. 157 can be a case like 149 last year where a 20s something seed is 3rd. If Kaleb Young gets 3rd (yes it's possible), that completely changes the dynamic of the team race.

Barraclough as great as he is, I can't see him sneaking into Top 6 at Big Tens. Brady isn't guaranteed but he can. So worse case, we're going from 0 to 0 there and lose Brady's seed at 165.

If Creighton is qualified, I can see him getting something similar to Brady (2-3 points) so it's not a major sacrifice.
Austin O’Connor is a clear 3. Champ at 149 last year. Took an early season loss to Peyton Robb of Nebraska. Has a few close decisions but should be in the hunt.

Austin O’Connor is a clear 3. Champ at 149 last year. Took an early season loss to Peyton Robb of Nebraska. Has a few close decisions but should be in the hunt.
Don't think he's in the hunt but you might be right about him being #3, I don't know how I forget about him.

That being said, the 3rd highest returning finisher from last year who hasn't lost yet should be at least in that tier behind him.

I still stand by my statement that it's a weight where the 3/4 place match finishers might totally shock you.

EDIT: I also noticed I wrote as great as Barraclough is then said he won't qualify ... tough is a better term for him this year lol

Mom walks in bedroom. "Son, you'll go blind." "Ah Mom, I'm just making weight. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice for the team."
Speaking of Mom's and weight loss. My senior year I am trying to cut from 165 to 145, tell my coach I have not shit for a week. He gives me a natural laxative. Next day, I tell him a got a few nuggets. Another wrestler (Mark) suggests ex-lax.

I take some ex-lax and lose a two pounds. My brain envisions, 2 tablets = 2 pounds, what happens if you take a box? What happens is you have a colonoscopy prep experience...stuck on the toilet for hours. Only difference is your father is yelling at you for tying up his bath room for hours and then your girl friend is pissed because you don't call (early 80's) her and cannot believe anyone can take a 2 hour shit. It was great, easiest 10 pounds I ever lost, better than getting a big wheel when I was 5. I thought I had found the holy grail of cutting weight.

Next day coach asks me about my weight (I went from 15 over on Monday to 1 over on Tuesday). Coach says "How do you do that, never mind it is probably best I don't know". My response, "your right, you don't want to know". The bad thing about mega does of ex-lax is that my body adjusted to them and within weeks they had no effect, that was a bad day, bye bye holy grail. That lead to asking Mark if he had the same experience, Mark had the same experience.

Mark had moved on to enemas. I asked, "how do you give yourself an enema?". Jim "I don't, my mom gives it too me." That was too much information before there was TMI. I can still picture them.

As long as we're sharing weight-cutting stories, I'll share one of mine. I wrestled back in the late 60's early 70's. My junior year of HS at certification I was already pretty slender and weighed in at 121. Our coach said, "We have someone else who could wrestle 112, would you be willing to go down to 103?" I was young and trusting and said yes. It was really rough. The last 2 weeks before the first match I couldn't practice (was too tired), I just sat on a radiator in a rubber suit and even then only lost about 1 pound in the suit. I could hardly walk up the steps at school between classes. My parents took me to see our family doctor (who was the Dr who certified me at 103) and he put me on "Pep pills" (a kind of somewhat milder amphetamine). When I was on that, I could run up the steps at school, wasn't hungry at all at lunch, but I came "down" around practice time and could only lie on the radiator. After 3 days I took myself off it, as I hated the feeling of coming down from them. The first match I almost passed out on the mat. As the season went on I got somewhat used to the weight, but it was a tough pull. I'm only 5'8", but I'm sure that without the weight-cutting that season I'd have been 6 ft (or at least more than 5'8"!). OSU aside, I'm glad that there's not as much severe weight-cutting as there used to be. It's NO FUN!
Similar to your story …I ended up in the hospital for almost 3 weeks in my senior year in the middle of the season.. I’m sure that illness was tied in with losing so much weight. I started growing just before my freshman year but have always thought I lost 3 or more inches in my height because of my stupid practice of crappy weight cutting

My 10th grade year, my coach bans rubber sweat suits tells us we need to lose weight the right way. Being creative I come to practice the next day and immediately get busted because of the crinkly sound I made when moving. Coach accuses me of wearing a rubber sweat suit, which I denied, I was not wearing a rubber sweat suit. Coach then asks what is causing the sound, my response, "Hefty bags". They worked almost as well.

That lead back to losing weight the right way talk. I asked coach, "what is the right way for someone to lose 10% of their body weight, who weighs 135 and can go to a costume party as a flag pole?" Last time I got hassled for the hefty bags.

My most enjoyable year wrestling was my junior year when I wrestled JV at my walking around weight. I was behind a guy who ended up placing in States. I lost one match all season. it was against a good varsity wrestler when I grabbed his thumb with 10 seconds left, which tied the match, gave up a late reversal trying to get back points (pre OT rules). Every match I won was with bonus points. Amazing what you can do when not sucked out. I told coach, I was not cutting weight, I had to get in college because my grades always nose dived during the season. They wanted me to drop from the low 150's to 132. Team was regional champions, I missed out on that and still regret a little to this day (just a little).

Senior year, I dropped from 165 to 145. I was 13-3 at 155, 3-7 at 145, not how it was supposed to work. Start of baseball season, I am leading exercises and huffing and puffing. Baseball coach tells me he thought I would be in great shape after wrestling season. My response, "I am in great shape, problem is I have gained 35 pounds in the last week, need to get use to it". You literally could hear the water swishing around my gut when I moved.

During that year, I beat state qualifiers, just couldn't deal with the weight cut. A few years after graduating, they changed the weight classes from 145, 155, 167 to 145, 152, 160. The latter would have been perfect for me.

My wife says I was nuts, I prefer to be positive and say it just shows what I was/am willing to do to get the job done. No doubt, the fun is gone when making weight is victory and what happens in the match is secondary.

I can't say I was upset when I lost my last match and wrestling was done. Lost first round of districts to the eventual champion in the worst athletic performance of my life any sport and any age. That sucks, but oh well. No real regrets and probably better for the experience and I have some great stories and memories from the experience.

Speaking of Mom's and weight loss. My senior year I am trying to cut from 165 to 145, tell my coach I have not shit for a week. He gives me a natural laxative. Next day, I tell him a got a few nuggets. Another wrestler (Mark) suggests ex-lax.

I take some ex-lax and lose a two pounds. My brain envisions, 2 tablets = 2 pounds, what happens if you take a box? What happens is you have a colonoscopy prep experience...stuck on the toilet for hours. Only difference is your father is yelling at you for tying up his bath room for hours and then your girl friend is pissed because you don't call (early 80's) her and cannot believe anyone can take a 2 hour shit. It was great, easiest 10 pounds I ever lost, better than getting a big wheel when I was 5. I thought I had found the holy grail of cutting weight.

Next day coach asks me about my weight (I went from 15 over on Monday to 1 over on Tuesday). Coach says "How do you do that, never mind it is probably best I don't know". My response, "your right, you don't want to know". The bad thing about mega does of ex-lax is that my body adjusted to them and within weeks they had no effect, that was a bad day, bye bye holy grail. That lead to asking Mark if he had the same experience, Mark had the same experience.

Mark had moved on to enemas. I asked, "how do you give yourself an enema?". Jim "I don't, my mom gives it too me." That was too much information before there was TMI. I can still picture them.
Still can’t believe you dated a chick in her 80’s while in HS.

Don't think he's in the hunt but you might be right about him being #3, I don't know how I forget about him.

That being said, the 3rd highest returning finisher from last year who hasn't lost yet should be at least in that tier behind him.

I still stand by my statement that it's a weight where the 3/4 place match finishers might totally shock you.

EDIT: I also noticed I wrote as great as Barraclough is then said he won't qualify ... tough is a better term for him this year lol
The 3/4 place matches are shocking every year in most weight classes. Last year alone, except for 133 and 141, it was; 15 vs 4, 25 vs 4, 1 vs 11, 6 vs 10, 4 vs 12, 4 vs 6, 1 vs 5 and 4 vs 5. No one saw those coming.

I only mention 3/4, since it's the one that was raised. Point is, the NCAA Championships can be a mess.

The 3/4 place matches are shocking every year in most weight classes. Last year alone, except for 133 and 141, it was; 15 vs 4, 25 vs 4, 1 vs 11, 6 vs 10, 4 vs 12, 4 vs 6, 1 vs 5 and 4 vs 5. No one saw those coming.

I only mention 3/4, since it's the one that was raised. Point is, the NCAA Championships can be a mess.
Mess … in a good way, IMO.

At the annual meeting I vote for this thread as "thread of the year"...

It is funny.....causes nightmares....and takes countless hours from productive work....it's fantastic 👏 👍 👌

My team had a guy who weighed in at 131 on Thursday and made weight for 119+2 on Saturday.

He wasn't in the best condition on the mat, and puked. The ref came and wiped up with a towel (no haz mat mitigation like today). If my memory serves me, he barely won against a kid he should have beaten easily.

Unfortunately...he tortured and killed a drug deal counterparty a few years later.

His "excuse" was his father was a State Police Officer who never showed him love, as I recall.

My team had a guy who weighed in at 131 on Thursday and made weight for 119+2 on Saturday.

He wasn't in the best condition on the mat, and puked. The ref came and wiped up with a towel (no haz mat mitigation like today). If my memory serves me, he barely won against a kid he should have beaten easily.

Unfortunately...he tortured and killed a drug deal counterparty a few years later.

His "excuse" was his father was a State Police Officer who never showed him love, as I recall.

Wish I skipped this one

Wish I skipped this one
In a thread that includes references to autoeroticism.. you object to fact?

Look, that's the way it was in those days, the puking, the rubber suits and the expectorant gum and the laxatives and some people turn out wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski

I could always shed the weight too.......then it got difficult. Age sucks.

Z

Ohhhh, you only think I left! 🙂 Kinda like the cesspool, they never understand I’m always there!

Honestly, that little break between the end of the regular season and today was nice. Also spent a week chasing biguns. I didn’t catch anything worth talking about, but my buddy caught an 8 and an 11.17 out of the back of my boat…I’m apparently a great guide!

I check in often. We didn’t have a great opening day….looking forward to tonight!

Z

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Ohhhh, you only think I left! 🙂 Kinda like the cesspool, they never understand I’m always there!

Honestly, that little break between the end of the regular season and today was nice. Also spent a week chasing biguns. I didn’t catch anything worth talking about, but my buddy caught an 8 and an 11.17 out of the back of my boat…I’m apparently a great guide!

I check in often. We didn’t have a great opening day….looking forward to tonight!

Z
51V+vn6LigL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT