ADVERTISEMENT

On the Verge at 49/57

Ian

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
State College, Pa
There have been 7 B1G matches and the combined record at 149/157 is 6-8 but the loses are by an average of 4-2.... against some quality opponents. Bartlett and Barraclough are just ready to breakout. They are just two year guys and a shot here, a shot there is all it takes and these guys get the confidence at tournament time. Watch out. So close. So close.

Reactions: Bowep
In reality, his best change to breakout is going to be with someone else, through the portal. I don’t think he’s gonna break out this year and probably won’t be in the lineup next year.
I think 82 was implying that there will be another name at 157 come tourney time. Maybe even by the weekend.

How will seeding work in Big 10 tournament? If this certain someone drops to 157. Since he has wrestled 165.

How will seeding work in Big 10 tournament? If this certain someone drops to 157. Since he has wrestled 165.
Matches at other weights do not count toward seeding at any postseason tournament. He would be seeded as a 0-0 wrestler at B10s. Which means a low seed.

He probably would not be among the very lowest seeds. Without looking up records, usually each weight has 2-3 guys well below .500 in conference results. He would likely be seeded above them.

Reactions: Verolion
Matches at other weights do not count toward seeding at any postseason tournament. He would be seeded as a 0-0 wrestler at B10s. Which means a low seed.

He probably would not be among the very lowest seeds. Without looking up records, usually each weight has 2-3 guys well below .500 in conference results. He would likely be seeded above them.
You’ll know this weekend. Really. If he’s dropping, as long as he was around 164 v Iowa, he could make Rider….though dangerously close to violating descent rules. Meaning not only does he have to be under 157 but he can’t be below 156.7 basically. His weight for Iowa is a critical number. Unless he just doesn’t weigh in and wrestle v Rider and moves on to Bigs.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjw5065
Probably more than once. What's the over/under on different combinations by Scuffle time and BIGs?
I agree that is usually the way things go. However, if all healthy, I think Howard (25), Beau (41), and SVN (49), will be locked in from day 1.

Much remains to be seen about 33 and 57, IMO.

I agree that is usually the way things go. However, if all healthy, I think Howard (25), Beau (41), and SVN (49), will be locked in from day 1.

Much remains to be seen about 33 and 57, IMO.
Someone said Steen was packin it on, but he was still at 125 LAST weekend, so who knows how 133 shakes out. Still 🙏🙏 for RBY!!

Steen seemed to be extremely hurt early and is slowly getting back to form. He will definitely challenge Robbie to get much better.

I still can't wrap my head around Cael having him go 157. Nothing about it makes sense including the risk reward scenario just take the points at 165 we don't need 157 to win. I truly believe this was Brady's idea and not Cael's. Cael said sure why not you can man 165 since you earned it the last three or four years. Why ask him to drop and then have to wrestle all the way back on the backside makes no sense. Not saying it won't happen but it's hard to fathom

I still can't wrap my head around Cael having him go 157. Nothing about it makes sense including the risk reward scenario just take the points at 165 we don't need 157 to win. I truly believe this was Brady's idea and not Cael's. Cael said sure why not you can man 165 since you earned it the last three or four years. Why ask him to drop and then have to wrestle all the way back on the backside makes no sense. Not saying it won't happen but it's hard to fathom
Yeah I guess if you’re gonna “wrestle all the way back on the backside” ya might as well do it on a full stomach.

I remember this tweet by @CSauertiegPSU was interesting:

Basically I read that as, he's having trouble making 165 but he wants to go 157 also .... yes, more parity at 157 but there's no way Brady will be able to take advantage of that if he can't even comfortably make 165 right now.

Reactions: Ja1339
I know I've gone back and forth with my view points on Brady at 157/165. It's pretty obvious 157 is more open for parity whereas 165 is more top heavy. But it felt so weird to wrestle Brady for a few big time seeding matches Creighton could have taken (Amine, Fish) only to give up because Bull kicked his ass.

I remember this tweet by @CSauertiegPSU was interesting:

Basically I read that as, he's having trouble making 165 but he wants to go 157 also .... yes, more parity at 157 but there's no way Brady will be able to take advantage of that if he can't even comfortably make 165 right now.
FWIW, I took it more as Cael saying he’s going down to 57 without wanting to say as much and realizing he probably already said more than he wanted to.

For me, Gardner coming back supposedly at 157 but not wrestling, and Negron moving up to wrestle 165 and perhaps challenge for the spot only makes sense if Berge is trying to make the descent down to 157. I can't see Berge struggling so much to keep 165 that he needs weeks to work on his weight to be able to wrestle again. I smell smoke that indicates that Berge to 157 is fire.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I got word that Nick Lee won the 57 wrestle off and Van Ness is making his debut. I guess that’s what OP had in mind

• Haha
Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
For me, Gardner coming back supposedly at 157 but not wrestling, and Negron moving up to wrestle 165 and perhaps challenge for the spot only makes sense if Berge is trying to make the descent down to 157. I can't see Berge struggling so much to keep 165 that he needs weeks to work on his weight to be able to wrestle again. I smell smoke that indicates that Berge to 157 is fire.
Berge to 157 is pretty much what I see as well. A guess would be that neither Barraclough nor Negron has proven himself to be the answer at that weight, at least vs the level of competition PSU will face at the B1G and Nationals, so the time has come to fish or cut bait and the final solution will be to move Berge to 157 leaving Edsell, who won vs both tOSU and Nebraska, at 165. Had either of the other two been able to establish himself as "the guy" at 157, Cael wouldn't have been stammering around about Berge "playing with his weight" -- or whatever -- during the weekly interview.

Berge last wrestled vs Iowa on Jan. 28. If memory serves, the rule for dropping weight is 1.5% per week, which means about 3.3 weeks would be needed to legally drop 8 lbs. from 165. The Rider dual is Feb. 20, twenty-three days after Iowa. If Berge wrestles vs Rider I'm guessing it'll be at 157, else he won't be back until the B1G.

Last edited:
I am not buying Berge has a difficult time getting to 165. He had no visible issues last year at 157 that would indicate a weight management issue, i.e. gassing in the match, looking sucked out. His first 3 matches this year at 165, again no visible issues with weight management. Are we to believe that an experienced wrestler, coming out of retirement, moving up a weight class, is suddenly having weight management issues? The match against Marinelli, not the first time someone at Carver has gotten man handled by a physical wrestler. That may have been the impetuous to go to 157, the reality that he will really struggle against the physical wrestlers at 165.

I believe Berge is descending to 157.

Reactions: KCLion and Ski
At this point, I'm hoping Cael intentionally makes vague but provocative comments about these kinds of things just to see everyone try to parse some kind of meaning and make a prediction.

I really hope he goes even further and just offers absurd non-sequiturs when asked, just to see what happens.

At this point, I'm hoping Cael intentionally makes vague but provocative comments about these kinds of things just to see everyone try to parse some kind of meaning and make a prediction.

I really hope he goes even further and just offers absurd non-sequiturs when asked, just to see what happens.
I do know this, and it is fact, we will know the post season lineup on March 5th. Probably a little earlier once pre-seeds are announced.

Ultimately much Ado about nothing. Brady will be working the backside of either bracket to get some points, and I bet we get about 5 points from both weights max combined regardless of the makeup. There is even a slight chance we head into nationals with both DNQ.

The good news is more points for sure at 125, Hwt, and most l likely at 149 and 197. They guy we really need to deliver is Beau. He could provide anywhere from 0-12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zukovski
Good point about Gardner, did he actually plan on returning? If so, why did he not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT