ADVERTISEMENT

On the upside, I think we actually learned quite a lot about Franklin and his staff

I'm not a troll. I'm simply a Realist who realizes that PSU Football Inc will never be legitimately successful under Franklin.

James is a nice person, but PSU needs and deserves a real X's and O's Head Coach who actually understands the game.

I'm sorry if my harsh words of truth offend you.

You sound like nebraska fans did towards the end with Pelini. How’s that working out for them in a wide open division?

Reactions: DeLionNc and 81b&w
Be careful, Sluggo. Joe Paterno said that Sandusky/Bradley/Ganter would bring him their game plans on Monday. He'd approve or make adjustments, but usually let the coordinators do their thing.

OL
sure you can let coordinators make the call, but the HC, imo, needs to be making 'the calls'. Go get him on D, or you need to defend here. Get the first on O, or take a shot etc. He has to be involved in making the critical decisions.

Reactions: OhioLion
Just to humor the stupidity in this thread, who would you hire op? You’re in charge and you can fire Franklin and hire whoever you’d like within reason. Saban ain’t coming here, nor urban, dabo, or harbaugh etc... So Franklin sucks and we need a new coach, give us your hire that would do so much better

Reactions: DeLionNc
Just to humor the stupidity in this thread, who would you hire op? You’re in charge and you can fire Franklin and hire whoever you’d like within reason. Saban ain’t coming here, nor urban, dabo, or harbaugh etc... So Franklin sucks and we need a new coach, give us your hire that would do so much better
I like what Matt Rhule accomplished at Temple and is doing with Baylor. A smart, fiery coach who knows X's & O's and is very involved during the game. He doesn't just stand on the sidelines with his arms crossed.

Matt's current salary isn't disclosed by Baylor because they're a private university. He was making only $1.3 MM at Temple (as compared with Franklin's $4.0+ MM salary). Based on the average HC salaries paid by other Big12 schools, I'm guessing he is making around $2.5 MM - $3.0 MM per year.

GettyImages-632096634-775x465.jpg

Last edited:
these past two weeks. I'm not into "fuzzy warm smoke". The on-field results represent themselves.

Woeful.....just woeful. That said....what does it take to get "James out of State College"?

I'll happily donate.

First, notwithstanding what happened last night, which, granted, is tough to swallow, Franklin is an outstanding coach with a track record of success against the odds. He was a winner at Vandy, of all places, and he's been a winner here.

Second, Franklin isn't going anywhere until or unless he wants to. The people who pay his salary remain thrilled with his coaching performance and justifiably so. There would have to be some sort of epic collapse, lasting over more than one season, before his job was in any kind of jeopardy.

Third, if he left here tomorrow, he could have a job by next Friday. He'd be the hottest hire in college football, and schools would line up to outbid one another for his services.

All that said, yeah, five 4th-quarter losses over the last three years, all of them with leads late, all of them where either a single first down on offense or a single stop on defense would have clinched a win, will put a bit of a chink in any coach's armor, regardless of how outstanding he is.

Honestly, in three of those games, I think the issue came down to line play on both sides of the ball -- the opposing offensive and defensive lines were simply on average better, and that factor proved decisive in the end.

In the other two games, both against Michigan State, more than anything I think the problem was psychological. Last year, a huge emotional letdown after Ohio State. This year, a certain uncharacteristic lack of confidence, which affected McSorley and some others, along with a kind of defeatist feeling where the players, and maybe even the coaches, were almost expecting to blow it at the end -- and did. Funny how that works.

One thing for sure: after starting this year with visions of potential playoff bids and conference championships, the season now seems to be hanging by a thread. Because Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan are certainly as good -- and probably even more physical -- than Michigan State. And Maryland is far from a gimme at this point either.

The guys have to suck it up and rally behind Franklin and the staff. OK, no national championship. No playoff. No conference championship. But 10-2 and a nice bowl would be fantastic. This team has the potential to achieve that -- but not unless everyone comes out of their funk and gets their heads back totally in the game.

Yeah, a new wrinkle or two from the offensive and defensive coordinators wouldn't hurt either. ;-)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT