ADVERTISEMENT

On the lost down.

harbest

Sep 26, 2001
Why didn't Franklin call a time out and engage in a discussion with the referee? I'm sure there was someone there who keeps stats who could have backed him up. One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. The grounding call and non call were total BS.

Last edited:
Why didn't Franklin call a time out and engage in a discussion with the referee? I'm sure there was someone there who keeps stats who could have backed him up. One of the worst officiated gaes {'ve ever seen. The groundind call and non call were total BS.
Good question, wonder if that is reviewable (not everything is)

the worst part, the part that proved how awful they were, was on the next drive.

There was a play where we were clearly like 2 yards short of a 1st down and they tried to give it to us. A blatant makeup call, and an equally bad one. And of course the Auburn coach was having none of it and they had to review it and reverse themselves. They were the F Troop

the worst part, the part that proved how awful they were, was on the next drive.

There was a play where we were clearly like 2 yards short of a 1st down and they tried to give it to us. A blatant makeup call, and an equally bad one. And of course the Auburn coach was having none of it and they had to review it and reverse themselves. They were the F Troop

Yeah, the spot on that play was pretty pathetic, he was never even remotely close to getting the first down.

Was the replay official even awake for the whole game? They missed the down issue, woke up for a questionable targeting call, and snoozed during the 4th down push that was a first down. This crew shouldnt work a pee-wee game.
Well, at least we’ll get the B1G refs to return the favor next year in Auburn 🤪

Why didn't Franklin call a time out and engage in a discussion with the referee? I'm sure there was someone there who keeps stats who could have backed him up. One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. The grounding call and non call were total BS.
What would be the sense in that? They already told him it was fourth down and a time out wasn’t going to change it.

The refs checked with the booth upstairs. They said 4th down also.

Reactions: Obliviax
The ref came out, turned on his mic, and told the whole stadium it was 4th down. it was weird
I thought the same thing. Almost like he knew it wasn’t, but felt the need to try and convince the world that it was. I believe that’s called gaslighting - a specific type of manipulation where the manipulator is trying to get someone else (or a group of people) to question their own reality, memory or perceptions. Which brings me to this question: are we 100% sure it wasn’t 4th down?

I thought the same thing. Almost like he knew it wasn’t, but felt the need to try and convince the world that it was. I believe that’s called gaslighting. Which brings me to this question: are we 100% sure it wasn’t 4th down?
Are their Jedi mind tricks starting to work on you? Definitely not 4th down.

Reactions: bison13
Are their Jedi mind tricks starting to work on you? Definitely not 4th down.
I think the intentional grounding call played a role in that, but I just re-watched it and it was definitely third down. But how much of that is on us rather than the refs? In other words, what if we just ran a third down play? Would they have given the ball to Auburn if we didn’t get a first down? I guess we’ll never know the answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoulderFish
Yes, but loss of down just means you don’t get the down over again like other penalties.
Right, I just watched it and it was clearly 3rd down. But how much of that is on us? What if we had just run a third down play? Would the refs have given the ball to Auburn if we didn’t get a first down? Also, let’s not forget we were down 3 when that happened.

How about the personal foul, late hit, out-of-bounds, that they called on Brandon Smith. you know, the one where he didn't actually hit him, he pulled up and just put his hands on him. Of course, the intentional grounding and subsequent wrong down call was the worst. You have to wonder if the SEC crew was biased or just incompetent.

Right, I just watched it and it was clearly 3rd down. But how much of that is on us? What if we had just run a third down play? Would the refs have given the ball to Auburn if we didn’t get a first down? Also, let’s not forget we were down 3 when that happened.
WTF are you talking about? You are blaming yourself for a bad call? I bet you are big with the ladies.

Reactions: Sproul

Huh? What? Did you not watch the Referee get on his mic and adamantly announce to the world it was "4th Down" after a prolonged argument with CJF which we now know he told Franklin that he consulted with the Replay Booth and it was 4th Down. Are you serious with this post above??????

Reactions: psuguy43
WTF are you talking about? You are blaming yourself for a bad call? I bet you are big with the ladies.
Huh? No. My point is, if the chains on the sideline were wrong, what recourse do we have, if any, to correct them? It would’ve been obvious had they spent a minute reviewing the previous plays. I just don’t know what you do in that situation.

???????

I guess I’m not being clear. Right before Penn State punts, the officials come together to confer. The line judge looks over at the sideline and says something. The announcers then say “the officials say it’s fourth down, but the yard marker now says third down” right before the ref announces that it is fourth down. Franklin obviously is yelling it’s only third down from the sideline, but that clearly did not do anything. My point is what could he have done to rectify the situation other than yell, which clearly had no impact?

I guess I’m not being clear. Right before Penn State punts, the officials come together to confer. The line judge looks over at the sideline and says something. The announcers then say “the officials say it’s fourth down, but the yard marker now says third down” right before the ref announces that it is fourth down. Franklin obviously is yelling it’s only third down from the sideline, but that clearly did not do anything. My point is what could he have done to rectify the situation other than yell, which clearly had no impact?
The official told Franklin that the down was confirmed by the replay official

I would have punched the official in the face, probably not an option for James

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
The official told Franklin that the down was confirmed by the replay official

I would have punched the official in the face, probably not an option for James
That brings up even more questions about the competency, honesty, and/or griftability of the officials. How could the replay official have possibly confirmed that it was fourth down? Either he did not review the previous plays, he did and lied, or the crew on the field was told it was not fourth down and they are lying. There really can’t be any other explanations.

They said the refs even called the replay booth and they said it was 4th down too. They couldn't have looked at the tape either, they just made a call. Pathetic really.

How could the replay official have possibly confirmed that it was fourth down?
because he thought all he was allowed to do was check if the prior play was 3rd down. And it was marked as 3rd down, which was wrong because they didn't know what they were doing. This is how dumb they were. i suspect that what we saw was nothing more sinister than the Keystone Cops

Future out of conference games need to include a third-party officiating crew not part of either conference. That was clearly a situation in which the SEC attempted to give their good old boys from down south a victory. This was worse than the shenanigans we’ve seen in some of the Michigan and Ohio state games.

Future out of conference games need to include a third-party officiating crew not part of either conference. That was clearly a situation in which the SEC attempted to give their good old boys from down south a victory. This was worse than the shenanigans we’ve seen in some of the Michigan and Ohio state games.

You actually think this was worse than '02 Michigan, '03 Ohio State, '05 Michigan, '14 Ohio State?

Some of those early 2000s games were literally the refs robbing us of games we won.

ADVERTISEMENT