ADVERTISEMENT

On JJ

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I think McS doesn't trust him, but he should. Seems like Trace sees him like every other WR, a guy that should get open. And JJ does get open, against zone defenses. But in man, he's never going to separate against a good corner. However, at 6-4 and 230, he needs to use his body against those 5-9 to 6-0 corners to come down with a ball. I don't feel like the offense and/or Trace is using him correctly. Trace has always had problems with the endzone fade route and perhaps that is it. But seems to me some lollypop throws over a corner and letting JJ use his height would be awesome against a blitz and man defenses.

I think McS doesn't trust him, but he should. Seems like Trace sees him like every other WR, a guy that should get open. And JJ does get open, against zone defenses. But in man, he's never going to separate against a good corner. However, at 6-4 and 230, he needs to use his body against those 5-9 to 6-0 corners to come down with a ball. I don't feel like the offense and/or Trace is using him correctly. Trace has always had problems with the endzone fade route and perhaps that is it. But seems to me some lollypop throws over a corner and letting JJ use his height would be awesome against a blitz and man defenses.
Johnson has to catch the ball or it’s a moot point

His route running needs to improve. I don't see him coming back to the ball enough as Trace moves around in the pocket or is rolling out.

Reactions: Ski
Johnson has to catch the ball or it’s a moot point
He seems to make those catches....he has problems with the easy catch. I could be wrong on that but that is what my memory says. Regardless, I think Trace thinks he has to be "open" in the same mode as a Hamler or Robinson. I think JJ is a different animal at WR than what we've had before.

He's been open plenty throughout the season but his biggest issue is actually catching the ball. I'm rooting for the kid but he's going to get passed over soon enough. If it isn't this year, a healthy Justin Shorter will take his spot next season.

Can they throw a slant to him? Is that not in the offense along with no screen passes? USC made a living on recruiting big wide receivers when Pete Carroll was there. They weren't that fast and usually were mediocre in the NFL but they dominated the college game because they were big and strong going against much smaller d-backs. If the deep ball is being taken away and teams are trying to take Trace running the ball away there has to be some intermediate routes that can take advantage of the d and Juwan is perfect for them as long as he can run the right routes and catch the ball.

You mean like the throws that were made often and most effectively to Chris Godwin at PSU and now at Tampa Bay. At this point, I think the problem is Rahne and Trace. Put the ball up for grabs were the defensive back can't catch it and your tall acrobat reciever can. Perhaps these guys need to look at some old PSU films for hints to shat made PSU's passing game lethal for the past 4-5 years.
th

You mean like the throws that were made often and most effectively to Chris Godwin at PSU and now at Tampa Bay. At this point, I think the problem is Rahne and Trace. Put the ball up for grabs were the defensive back can't catch it and your tall acrobat reciever can. Perhaps these guys need to look at some old PSU films for hints to shat made PSU's passing game lethal for the past 4-5 years.
th
We simply don't have a deep passing game this year, after it was a key success factor the last two years.

We simply don't have a deep passing game this year, after it was a key success factor the last two years.
Much of the passing the game the past few years were jump balls or WR's boxing out the defender. Credit to Godwin, Gesicki, and Hamilton. They were masters at it. Trace clearly trusted them and threw to spots and those WR/TE would make plays on the ball. And they had very good hands.

JJ has had 6 games to build on the success he had in 2017, but the results are just not there. Drops. Does not get open. Just not what a #1 receiver must do to help his team win. I keep hoping Shorter (or George) will get into games and show what he can do. We have had receivers come in as true freshmen and make an impact, and we need someone to step up in order to win games during the 2nd half of this season.

But for the longer term, I'm hoping the staff tells JJ to lose 15 lbs and get faster and quicker. He needs to be able to get open more regularly.

JJ has had 6 games to build on the success he had in 2017, but the results are just not there. Drops. Does not get open. Just not what a #1 receiver must do to help his team win. I keep hoping Shorter (or George) will get into games and show what he can do. We have had receivers come in as true freshmen and make an impact, and we need someone to step up in order to win games during the 2nd half of this season.

But for the longer term, I'm hoping the staff tells JJ to lose 15 lbs and get faster and quicker. He needs to be able to get open more regularly.
I think he has to get tougher. He has trouble getting off the LOS which is disappointing considering his size advantage.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and BBrown

How many have we attempted? My recollection is that most of the drops have been short passes. Perhaps my recollection is wrong. If corect, however, why did we go away from the long pass and continue pressing the short game?

Reactions: BBrown
How many have we attempted? My recollection is that most of the drops have been short passes. Perhaps my recollection is wrong. If corect, however, why did we go away from the long pass and continue pressing the short game?

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Einstein

Reactions: JJTopp99
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Einstein

Ignoring the deep pass and forcing the short pass is a lot like running the ball 3 times everytime you are ahead in the 4th qtr with with a lead and +/- 2 minutes on the clock.... fish trying to climb trees.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I also don’t think Trace trusts JJ, Polk or Thompkins. The 3 most experienced guys have really let this offense become stagnant. He is looking for 1 and 87 more and more and looking at the 3 experienced guys less and less.

The deep threat being gone is the reason this team has struggled on offense. The inconsistent play of the WRs has been a major problem with results and in their heads. They don’t fight to get position and make the tough catch like Godwin, Hamilton and Gesicki. Those guys were exceptions but Trace doesn’t have the same confidence to even let these guys try right now. The drops also have to weigh heavy on the mind of not only Trace but Rahne. It has to effect how the game is called. The injury to Justin Shorter, setting back his development in fall camp and the beginning of the season probably had a much worse effect on this offense then we can see. He has that ability like Godwin,Hamilton.

Sometimes this is a fault of the coaching staff that I see here. They really stick with guys a long time and give them a shot to rebound. Maybe the better decision would have been for 84,10,3 to lose some time to Dotson and Shorter starting at Ohio state game.

I also don’t think Trace trusts JJ, Polk or Thompkins. The 3 most experienced guys have really let this offense become stagnant. He is looking for 1 and 87 more and more and looking at the 3 experienced guys less and less.

The deep threat being gone is the reason this team has struggled on offense. The inconsistent play of the WRs has been a major problem with results and in their heads. They don’t fight to get position and make the tough catch like Godwin, Hamilton and Gesicki. Those guys were exceptions but Trace doesn’t have the same confidence to even let these guys try right now. The drops also have to weigh heavy on the mind of not only Trace but Rahne. It has to effect how the game is called. The injury to Justin Shorter, setting back his development in fall camp and the beginning of the season probably had a much worse effect on this offense then we can see. He has that ability like Godwin,Hamilton.

Sometimes this is a fault of the coaching staff that I see here. They really stick with guys a long time and give them a shot to rebound. Maybe the better decision would have been for 84,10,3 to lose some time to Dotson and Shorter starting at Ohio state game.

Except for the MSU where Trace was the problem. He needs some valium before game time on occassion and the MSU game was one of those games...

I wonder (maybe incredibly stupidly) whether CJF sees JJ as a project and is trying to rebuild his WR skills (e.g. route running, YAC, hands, etc) kind of like a good golfer changing his swing or a shooter changing his form). And part of that process involves some misfires and frustration. Just a hope maybe.

I will say that there have been replays of passes to other WRs where you can see JJ just jogging in the background on a zero or giving up early. I don't go to the games so I can only see it in the background on TV in some of the replays.

I would’ve loved to see, from game 1 and every first or second series, Trace throw a highball/zero/Hail-mary to JJ. In the OB era it always seemed that analysts were saying “watchout for the deep ball, Hail Mary.” The 0 with JJ at the very least (if you throw it) forces the safety to play it safe. Maybe those who go to the games will say that JJ is running the 0. But I'd like to see it actually thrown.

I'd also like to see JJ on same Flag route that the O would use to get the ball to Gesicki.

There does seem to be some lack of creativity in routes. How many times do you see Hamler run the exact same Post from the slot position?

Interesting (at least to me) data point(s): Somewhere I've seen JJ listed at 230+lbs. RLR had him listed as 231 in August. I'm not sure that's accurate, but if he is 230+, he'd have been the heaviest WR in the 2018 NFL combine. His listed weight of 2018 on the roster is 225lbs, and 213lbs in 2016. All this to say, it might be interesting if we see him drop weight coming into 2019. His Ht/Wt isn't an anomaly. There are WRs that are 230+ (Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin), but they are rare. Felton Davis is 6'4 200lbs. I wonder if his 40/shuttle/pad-speed has changed after 10-15-20lbs.

Sorry for the long rant. I really like JJ and want to see him play on Sundays.

Take a look at Davis for MSU, takes over a game. Name one game ever JJ took over? He doesn't scare people over the top with blinding speed. He does not box CB's out and simply out physical DB's for the ball consistently. PSU should be able to run a fade or back shoulder throw to him all day long near the goal line or even in certain down and distances. It's pretty harsh to say as he has made a few big catches and one or two circus catches, but he has never taken over a game. I don't think Trace has total confidence in him and you cannot blame him. QB's are human and you see the same guy drop routine balls time and time again...it will impact their thought process. Maybe it is all mental with him, but he doesn't have much time left for that switch to go on.

His route running needs to improve. I don't see him coming back to the ball enough as Trace moves around in the pocket or is rolling out.

I don't know enough to comment on his route running but what I do see is a big guy at 6'4" 230 lbs not being able to out muscle the smaller CB that is right in his face. I didn't notice it last year but started seeing it against APP ST. and it was very apparent against OSU and MSU. Those CB's gave him no room and he didn't make his own. I hate that this word is used so much, thank you Herby and ESPN, but he lacks "physicality".
Instead of all the sideline patterns he's run the last 2 games how about have him go over the middle, you know like they used to.

Can they throw a slant to him? Is that not in the offense along with no screen passes? USC made a living on recruiting big wide receivers when Pete Carroll was there. They weren't that fast and usually were mediocre in the NFL but they dominated the college game because they were big and strong going against much smaller d-backs. If the deep ball is being taken away and teams are trying to take Trace running the ball away there has to be some intermediate routes that can take advantage of the d and Juwan is perfect for them as long as he can run the right routes and catch the ball.

+100

th

I'll agree and disagree. I think its less on Trace than you do. But you may be right Trace might have lost confidence in him.

Sanders, Freiemuth, Hamler, Bates, Menet, Givens, Oruwariye (when not asked to catch a ball). Thats it

I'd include Shareef Miller and Jan Johnson on D.
Also lets give some credit because there is 1 player in particular who has improved a great deal from Game 1 to Game 6 and that is Garrett Taylor.
also really the MSU game was an outlier for Trace. He's been pretty damn good and consistent all year. I think he and the coaching staff put to much pressure on him.

Reactions: MoyerJones
I wonder (maybe incredibly stupidly) whether CJF sees JJ as a project and is trying to rebuild his WR skills (e.g. route running, YAC, hands, etc) kind of like a good golfer changing his swing or a shooter changing his form). And part of that process involves some misfires and frustration. Just a hope maybe.

I will say that there have been replays of passes to other WRs where you can see JJ just jogging in the background on a zero or giving up early. I don't go to the games so I can only see it in the background on TV in some of the replays.

I would’ve loved to see, from game 1 and every first or second series, Trace throw a highball/zero/Hail-mary to JJ. In the OB era it always seemed that analysts were saying “watchout for the deep ball, Hail Mary.” The 0 with JJ at the very least (if you throw it) forces the safety to play it safe. Maybe those who go to the games will say that JJ is running the 0. But I'd like to see it actually thrown.

I'd also like to see JJ on same Flag route that the O would use to get the ball to Gesicki.

There does seem to be some lack of creativity in routes. How many times do you see Hamler run the exact same Post from the slot position?

Interesting (at least to me) data point(s): Somewhere I've seen JJ listed at 230+lbs. RLR had him listed as 231 in August. I'm not sure that's accurate, but if he is 230+, he'd have been the heaviest WR in the 2018 NFL combine. His listed weight of 2018 on the roster is 225lbs, and 213lbs in 2016. All this to say, it might be interesting if we see him drop weight coming into 2019. His Ht/Wt isn't an anomaly. There are WRs that are 230+ (Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin), but they are rare. Felton Davis is 6'4 200lbs. I wonder if his 40/shuttle/pad-speed has changed after 10-15-20lbs.

Sorry for the long rant. I really like JJ and want to see him play on Sundays.

Agree about the routes. One of the things I remember reading about JoeMo was that he had some really creative pass plays.
That seems to be missing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoyerJones
When a man's an empty kettle
He should be on his mettle
And yet I'm torn apart
But I'm still a believer
That I could be a receiver
If I only had a heart.

"It's easy to grin
when your ship comes in
and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat"

Reactions: Roswell-Blue
During this past game they showed a close up of JJ as he was fighting to recover his fumble (ended up ruling forward progress was stopped)...you could tell his eyes looked nervous and worried. Something’s not right with him. Had the look of definitely being scared to make a mistake among other things probably.

Remember when he was all the talk of Spring Ball and Fall Camp last year? He had a good year in 2017, but he just can’t put it together this year. Part of the problem is the coaches don’t know how to use him. Last year he was mainly sent on 5-10 yard crossing patterns and this year more of the same, along with some come back routes. THAT’S NOT WHY YOU RECRUIT 6’4 235lb BEASTS AS WR’S...I’d bet he’d be used in a much different way with any other competent Offensive Coaching Staff.

th

Chris Godwin was a baller with a mean steak fu@# you attitude. As OJ McDuffie says "we set the tempo and the attitude of the game" Deon Butler had the same attitude.

Our current players our passive

"It's easy to grin
when your ship comes in
and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat"

Hey...That's Judge Smails line :eek:

Stick to your own material ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT