ADVERTISEMENT

On BTN now PSU football report.

Howard Griffth mentioned PJ Mustipher looks impressive and “they’re gonna need him this year “

Not much that was really news, but the program projects confidence and sounds like all units are operating at a high level.

-- DiNardo in the wrapup said PSU's O-line is getting there, not fully there yet -- they need more experience. Said some people rate them 3rd best in the B10 but DiNardo didn't say if he agrees. But he did say it might be the best PSU O-line in the 12 years BTN has been doing this show.

-- DiNardo and Griffith just raved about the athleticism of the linebackers. Again they need more experience but all the talent is there to be really good. Pry had some nice comments about Parsons about how hard he works, how much time he spends in the film room, said Parsons is really a student of the game and that it was a pleasant surprise.

-- Pry (I think I understood this right) said there are now 5 DTs ready to play behind Givens and Windsor. Shelton is playing his best football. BTN guys said Mustipher looks ready.

-- Pry said Reid is also playinghis best football -- has improved in a number of ways from where he was before the injury. Sounds very happy with the corners.

-- Franklin repeated that he's feeling better about the three big question marks -- placekicking, linebackers and D-tackles.

-- Griffith and DiNardo think Hamler will play a big role this year. DiNardo says Hamler will be the guy who gets the ball when the QB has to scramble and find a secondary receiver -- and in that role Hamler can do a lot of damage. Revsine said Dotson had a good day today -- looked impressive making some catches.

-- Overall, coaches and players seemed to be talking more about the mental part of the game -- understanding schemes and coverages, understanding gaps. OL has seen every blitz they're going to see because the PSU D uses them all.

I liked the sound of it because it means the team is already at the point where they are operating at the mental xs and os level, they've done the strength work, they've done the skills work. They have the base of fundamentals built, so they're working on the mental part so they can play faster.

Dinardo also praised the fundamentals, drills and development efforts during the practice. In fact he gushed about them. Something I guess you might expect from a former head coach. It does suggest PSU is not only getting talented players, but also developing them.

Thought it was a good review of the team.Liked the mention of so many athletic linebackers and young contributors on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: step.eng69
Sorry to disagree with some of the above posters who've commented positively about DiNardo and Griffith's evaluations. Considering DiNardo and his abysmal coaching record at IU and LSU and Howie's overall grasp of ANY coaching insight, I believe the first thing they consider is what color the team's jersey is first (OSU and UM especially!) and which way the pubic opinion is flowing before blurting out any information. I still hear DiNardo's comments about JoePa ringing through my head so my opinion is obviously skewed, but fvck them both anyway.

Sorry to disagree with some of the above posters who've commented positively about DiNardo and Griffith's evaluations. Considering DiNardo and his abysmal coaching record at IU and LSU and Howie's overall grasp of ANY coaching insight, I believe the first thing they consider is what color the team's jersey is first (OSU and UM especially!) and which way the pubic opinion is flowing before blurting out any information. I still hear DiNardo's comments about JoePa ringing through my head so my opinion is obviously skewed, but fvck them both anyway.

Agree that the network guys primarily snag onto the known plot lines and roll with them. Only a few more weeks and we’ll have all the answers.

Reactions: ruready07
Not much that was really news, but the program projects confidence and sounds like all units are operating at a high level.

-- DiNardo in the wrapup said PSU's O-line is getting there, not fully there yet -- they need more experience. Said some people rate them 3rd best in the B10 but DiNardo didn't say if he agrees. But he did say it might be the best PSU O-line in the 12 years BTN has been doing this show.

-- DiNardo and Griffith just raved about the athleticism of the linebackers. Again they need more experience but all the talent is there to be really good. Pry had some nice comments about Parsons about how hard he works, how much time he spends in the film room, said Parsons is really a student of the game and that it was a pleasant surprise.

-- Pry (I think I understood this right) said there are now 5 DTs ready to play behind Givens and Windsor. Shelton is playing his best football. BTN guys said Mustipher looks ready.

-- Pry said Reid is also playinghis best football -- has improved in a number of ways from where he was before the injury. Sounds very happy with the corners.

-- Franklin repeated that he's feeling better about the three big question marks -- placekicking, linebackers and D-tackles.

-- Griffith and DiNardo think Hamler will play a big role this year. DiNardo says Hamler will be the guy who gets the ball when the QB has to scramble and find a secondary receiver -- and in that role Hamler can do a lot of damage. Revsine said Dotson had a good day today -- looked impressive making some catches.

-- Overall, coaches and players seemed to be talking more about the mental part of the game -- understanding schemes and coverages, understanding gaps. OL has seen every blitz they're going to see because the PSU D uses them all.

I liked the sound of it because it means the team is already at the point where they are operating at the mental xs and os level, they've done the strength work, they've done the skills work. They have the base of fundamentals built, so they're working on the mental part so they can play faster.
I think the run that started just prior to the Big 10 championship with the blocked field goal against OSU that was fueled with timely big plays created overly optimistic expectations for last year. Even with the key losses, I hope this team is more mentally prepared for both the infrequent opportunities and the consistent grind that makes a truly good and successful team.

Thanks for the summary, tboyer.
I was trying to watch, but the in-laws (no desire for sports other than Cleveland teams) are in town and kept asking questions to everyone in the room. Did not want to be rude and leave, and therefore, your summary is greatly appreciated.

OL

I don't watch BTN very often- are those guys generally that positive when talking about a team?

I don't agree with you. I like them and respect their opinions. I don't remember what DiNardo said about Joe and don't care. I had some very negative opinions about Joe myself in his later years.

My major issue with the "we'll have to see, we have no way of knowing" theme to the show was that the vast majority of the players stepping into starting roles have extensive playing time. Reid, Amani O., Scott, Cam Brown, Givens, Windsor, Sanders, Thompkins, etc. Pop in the tape. See Sanders running against Michigan. See Givens sacking quarterbacks. The five guys vying for the three backup defensive tackle spots who will play don't have experience, but that is just about the only place.

I don't agree with you. I like them and respect their opinions. I don't remember what DiNardo said about Joe and don't care. I had some very negative opinions about Joe myself in his later years.
I also like them and respect their opinions, and you of course can have your negative opinions about Joe.
I'll only add Dinardo comments about Joe were way off base. Other coaches who knew Joe well disagreed with Dinardo vehemently. I only wish all of you could hear Jack Lengyel (former Marshall coach and Navy AD) or Irv Cross (former CBS TV host and Eagle) discuss Joe's firing. He certainly didn't deserve to be fired.

My major issue with the "we'll have to see, we have no way of knowing" theme to the show was that the vast majority of the players stepping into starting roles have extensive playing time. Reid, Amani O., Scott, Cam Brown, Givens, Windsor, Sanders, Thompkins, etc. Pop in the tape. See Sanders running against Michigan. See Givens sacking quarterbacks. The five guys vying for the three backup defensive tackle spots who will play don't have experience, but that is just about the only place.

While I hear what you're saying, I feel their assessment of PSU is now more based on "Can they win another title this year?" rather than "Will they be any good?" Their takes on Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland were more geared towards the latter. Two position areas I didn't hear them address at all were DE and TE. Not sure if this is good or bad, but our DEs managed fewer than 15 sacks collectively all of last season (a little more than 1 a game), so we're hoping for improvement. Obviously, Gesicki was an important part of the passing game (57 receptions and 9 TDs).

Last edited:
While I hear what you're saying, I feel their assessment of PSU is now more based on "Can they win another title this year?" rather than "Will they be any good?" Their takes on Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland were more geared towards the latter. Two position areas I didn't hear them address at all were DE and TE. Not sure if this is good or bad but collectively our DEs managed less than 15 sacks all of last season (a little more than 1 a game) so we're hoping for improvement. Obviously, Gesicki was an important part of the passing game 57 receptions and 9 TDs).
DiNardo said, he didn't see any Gesikis out there. I think what he was trying to say was even though Barkley and Hamilton are gone, we have pretty good talent in those positions. Not so much at tight end.

Agree that the network guys primarily snag onto the known plot lines and roll with them. Only a few more weeks and we’ll have all the answers.

I agree. Combined with the quality of the production (on par with Junior High CCTV) and it was almost unbearable to watch. No mention of Manny Bowen either.

While I hear what you're saying, I feel their assessment of PSU is now more based on "Can they win another title this year?" rather than "Will they be any good?" Their takes on Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland were more geared towards the latter. Two position areas I didn't hear them address at all were DE and TE. Not sure if this is good or bad but collectively our DEs managed less than 15 sacks all of last season (a little more than 1 a game) so we're hoping for improvement. Obviously, Gesicki was an important part of the passing game 57 receptions and 9 TDs).

It's nice to see they can distinguish us from a Rutgers or a Maryland. I give them kudos for being better than ESPN, but that's not saying much. I'm not concerned about our receivers. 90% of the B1G would kill to have our talent. But I agree with you on the DLine. If we cannot get pressure on Lewerke he will shred us. If we can't slow down Wisky's rushing game then it will be a long day. I know it's kinda stating the obvious but it's no worse than these clowns.

Thanks for the summary, tboyer.
I was trying to watch, but the in-laws (no desire for sports other than Cleveland teams) are in town and kept asking questions to everyone in the room. Did not want to be rude and leave, and therefore, your summary is greatly appreciated.

OL
Should have suddenly screamed “ WILL YOU BOTH JUST SHUT UP FOR ONCE ! “.

Reactions: OhioLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT