ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics News

Don't mean to dig up an older thread but felt this one was more pertinent to discuss other sports than Wrestling in.

I saw some comments about the Men's Marathon starting shortly on USA Network. It's gonna be hot as hell, with some guys probably dropping. The training for this must be like wearing garbage bag suits in the indoor swimming pools (kinda similar to how I tried to cut weight for wrestling back in the day).

Hoping that we can somehow pull out more Golds than China when the games are all over. We're down by 2 currently. Hopefully Women's Basketball, Volleyball and Boxing will net us some.
So you know, I locked this thread to send everyone to one thread regarding the matches. The whole intent was to then unlock it after the matches. No worries.

FYI, Women's 10,000 going on now. Over 80° and over 80% humidity. Brutal conditions. Later on NBC has men's marathon.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
So you know, I locked this thread to send everyone to one thread regarding the matches. The whole intent was to then unlock it after the matches. No worries.
Yep, kinda figured that was the intent. Figured maybe this one could gravitate towards non-Wrestling sport talk now if anyone wanted to. Thanks.

Reactions: danoftw and Hotshoe
Jeez, and they're not even 3 miles in of 6.2. That's crazy.
I can personally tell you, as a person that works in front of a 1500° forge in the same conditions, I feel it. I'm in absolute awe of these ladies. I've been taken to the ER with heat stroke. It's no fun. I lost a dear friend to it. What these women are doing is beyond belief.

• Wow
Reactions: backdrft76
FYI, Women's 10,000 going on now. Over 80° and over 80% humidity. Brutal conditions. Later on NBC has men's marathon.
Lots of women dropping out. Final 2 laps now. Brutal conditions, yes. Heat sucks and saps your energy.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Yes, I think it occurred then but televised now. Men's marathon starts (live!) in 15 minutes. It's morning now in Tokyo. Last event of the games
Actually, the last event in Tokyo will be Men's Water Polo kicking off tonight at 1230AM Pacific Time.

Here is the schedule, which shows the events @ your local start time.

Filter on Day 16.

Once the Kenyan lipped off to Rupp in the marathon, the Kenyan really took off and Rupp fell back after sticking with him. Damn...

Edit - Awesome finish with Netherlands bringing Belgium up past the 2nd Kenyan at the last few seconds for Silver and Bronze. I think the Belgian didn't have a chance without the Netherlands encouragement. Great show of sportsmanship.

Last edited:
How does one have the ability to extract ever ounce of energy like that.

She was hurting bad.

Then you have Kenyan run a fantastic 26.2, innahlliate the field and looked like he could then done 10K.

Humidity was a killer in the 10k.

Edit: referring to Hotshoe post #414

Reactions: Hotshoe
I really think chats about non-wrestling sports such as marathon racing should go to the new OT gratuitous thread. Because The first 10 pages of this “Olympic News” thread were mostly about wrestling, and it’s inelegant for people to now see activity on this “Olympic News” thread and have to guess on whether they need to click because it might just be marathon talk. Please don’t hijack a thread.

Just
I really think chats about non-wrestling sports such as marathon racing should go to the new OT gratuitous thread. Because The first 10 pages of this “Olympic News” thread were mostly about wrestling, and it’s inelegant for people to now see activity on this “Olympic News” thread and have to guess on whether they need to click because it might just be marathon talk. Please don’t hijack a thread.
Just get back to your Halloween party invitations.

My bad, just figured all Olympic wrestling talk had migrated over to Hotshoe's thread and this one was now fair game with wrestling over.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I am fine with sharing beauty, whatever the sport, as this is the Olympics.

How do you write this story? If not for the Olympics, no one would know.
As widely reported as the Beslan School Massacre was at the time, the details were criminally underreported. Sickening actions by both sides, with the locals stuck in the middle.

(If anyone wants to get really depressed, read the detailed story of that event -- or even the Wikipedia version. It reads like a full season of 24, but without Jack Bauer to save the day.)

Naifanov is extremely lucky to be alive. Sidakov is just as lucky -- missed the first day of class, in a country that holds ceremonies to open classes.

The US is currently tied with China at 38 Gold Medals. There are 2 boxers going for gold ( Underdogs both ) and the US women's volleyball team going for gold against undefeated Brazil. So there is a chance (3X) to surpass them. Go USA ......Make It So......:)

USA Women's Volleyball team STUNS Brazil 3-0 to win the FIRST EVER women's Gold Medal in Volleyball. GO USA!!!!! USA leads China in Gold Medals. The first USA boxer lost in the finals to claim silver. China's boxer also lost in the finals so ...with one match to go....USA clinches FIRST in Number of Gold Medals as well as TOTAL Medals. USA. USA

Last edited:
How does one have the ability to extract ever ounce of energy like that.

She was hurting bad.

Then you have Kenyan run a fantastic 26.2, innahlliate the field and looked like he could then done 10K.

Humidity was a killer in the 10k.

Edit: referring to Hotshoe post #414
After reading about her situation, what she did was beyond phenomenal. She looked great and at ease the entire race, actually appeared to get stronger as the race went on.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
ADVERTISEMENT