ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Wrestling Trials

Mat Burn

Jan 12, 2019
Does anyone have an update on the Olympic Wrestling Trials? I have retained my ticket from last April, if this event is going to happen I need to make lodging plans.

Nope, we know nothing. There is speculation on the date, April 10-11, and that maybe some fans will be able to attend, but nothing announced. Supposedly hotel rates are higher for that weekend.

i believe there is some wrestling body release that mentions that date also.

Last edited:
Nope, we know nothing. There is speculation on the date, April 10-11, and that maybe some fams will be able to attend, but nothing announced. Supposedly hotel rates are higher for that weekend.

Yes in the USAW Olympic qualifying procedures document it says April 9-11 2021

Nope, we know nothing. There is speculation on the date, April 10-11, and that maybe some fans will be able to attend, but nothing announced. Supposedly hotel rates are higher for that weekend.

It will be in SC but doubt fans will be able to attend outside of immediate family.

Thanks for the insights. I am going to hold onto my tickets until the last moment in hopes that there can be fans in the stands.

I just read a story that they might have the Olympics without spectators.

And now my son just told me he read that they are thinking of canceling Tokyo 2020, I mean 2021

Edit- looked it up and CNN has a story that Japan and the IOC say the cancelation rumors are categorically untrue

Reactions: PSUer1989
I hope they're untrue. Vaccine the 11,000 or so athletes and however many personnel they need. No fans and get this thing done. The athletes have to stay in the village and can't leave until their event is over.

Reactions: lionlover
I hope they're untrue. Vaccine the 11,000 or so athletes and however many personnel they need. No fans and get this thing done. The athletes have to stay in the village and can't leave until their event is over.
I think the challenge with that approach is Japan's tanking ROI. If it doesn't drive a crap-ton of tourism, they'd probably rather just cut their losses and/or hope for another postponement. Just spitballing, of course....

It will be in SC but doubt fans will be able to attend outside of immediate family.
With BJC being privately owned, and this NOT being a PSU event. There is a chance that fans will be allowed. If so, It is my guess that only VIP ticket holder MAY be able to attend, and they will spread out the fans. but this is 100% speculation.

With BJC being privately owned, and this NOT being a PSU event. There is a chance that fans will be allowed. If so, It is my guess that only VIP ticket holder MAY be able to attend, and they will spread out the fans. but this is 100% speculation.

BJC is owned by Penn State University. A private company operates it but I don't think any of that matters as to who will be able to attend. That will be decided by state and local law. IMHO I doubt anyone other than family will be able to attend unless the pace of vaccines increases dramatically in the next few months.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
BJC is owned by Penn State University. A private company operates it but I don't think any of that matters as to who will be able to attend. That will be decided by state and local law. IMHO I doubt anyone other than family will be able to attend unless the pace of vaccines increases dramatically in the next few months.
BJC is owned and operated by PSU.

Hope some fans will be allowed to attend.

At Iowa, events held on University property have only family. When Senior Nationals came to Coralville (attached to Iowa City), the event was held in a separate stadium not owned by the University. Whoever was in charge (USA wrestling?) negotiated with the city of Coralville to have fans in the stands (socially distanced) and did a pretty good job (although not enforcing the mask wearing as much). It was great to see live wrestling. Same place did the HWC event a month later with fans allowed.

So don’t give up hope. Hopefully there will fans in the stands if you can find an arena the University doesn’t completely control.

And now my son just told me he read that they are thinking of canceling Tokyo 2020, I mean 2021

Edit- looked it up and CNN has a story that Japan and the IOC say the cancelation rumors are categorically untrue
NBC Sports aired ads last night for the Olympics. On other (non-NBC owned) networks.

Which is a bizarre waste of money if NBC expects a cancellation. And it's not like NBC Sports has money to burn -- yesterday they announced that NBCSN will be terminated this year.

Hope some fans will be allowed to attend.

At Iowa, events held on University property have only family. When Senior Nationals came to Coralville (attached to Iowa City), the event was held in a separate stadium not owned by the University. Whoever was in charge (USA wrestling?) negotiated with the city of Coralville to have fans in the stands (socially distanced) and did a pretty good job (although not enforcing the mask wearing as much). It was great to see live wrestling. Same place did the HWC event a month later with fans allowed.

So don’t give up hope. Hopefully there will fans in the stands if you can find an arena the University doesn’t completely control.
Believe me, there was a very strong attempt to move the Trials to Coralville. Not much $$$ to be made with no fans for the BJC. Notice no real promotion of the event. It’s costly to “rent” out the BJC. Somebody has to cover it....

Believe me, there was a very strong attempt to move the Trials to Coralville. Not much $$$ to be made with no fans for the BJC. Notice no real promotion of the event. It’s costly to “rent” out the BJC. Somebody has to cover it....

I can believe it. I think initially there weren’t going to be any fans and then they threatened to move it. The City of Coralville bent to their wishes. It was great and safe, but nothing the Big Ten colleges are willing to take on.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Well, I suppose it was inevitable. So now either the check is in the mail or my credit card will see a credit soon.

I agree, I get my money back and we don’t lose the opportunity to see them in the near future.

Reactions: nitlion6
I believe the Big 10s are still scheduled for BJC this year, correct? I would prefer those are moved and rescheduled for State College in the very near future, so fans can attend.

I believe the Big 10s are still scheduled for BJC this year, correct? I would prefer those are moved and rescheduled for State College in the very near future, so fans can attend.
Yes, that decision has already been made. Unknown is the EXACT year PSU will host again, but I've heard only several years out. This gives PSU fans, who have been very supportive of the Big Ten Championships, traveling in solid numbers to see their team compete, a chance to see the event live. Selling out the BJC would be a good thing for the conference too.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
gotta love the blatant plagiarism from flowrestling, just copying and pasting the text from the gopsusports article including the refund information. what a joke.

Same here, I have 4 nice VIP ones with Lanyards. I really do feel bad for the groups that have to eat these costs when they sent them and other tickets. This is a shame what has to be changed through this pandemic. Not just for us fans but everyone. It would have been nice for DT and Company to sleep in these own beds and drive to the BJC for a home match OTT.

Totally changing subjects but still on tickets, I thought my wife pitched one of my prized ticket stubs. I keep too much crap and when I'm not watching things disappear.

After Cael won his fourth title, I kept my ticket stub from Albany. I also bought the Sunday paper from Des Moines Sunday Register (March 24th 2002) which had a nice cover of Cael.

Cael kindly signed the newspaper a couple of years ago and I wanted to frame the paper with stub.

I then couldn't find the stub and thought the wife tossed the ticket - but I found it this week. My only bright spot of this damn season.

Same here, I have 4 nice VIP ones with Lanyards. I really do feel bad for the groups that have to eat these costs when they sent them and other tickets. This is a shame what has to be changed through this pandemic. Not just for us fans but everyone. It would have been nice for DT and Company to sleep in these own beds and drive to the BJC for a home match OTT.

Totally changing subjects but still on tickets, I thought my wife pitched one of my prized ticket stubs. I keep too much crap and when I'm not watching things disappear.

After Cael won his fourth title, I kept my ticket stub from Albany. I also bought the Sunday paper from Des Moines Sunday Register (March 24th 2002) which had a nice cover of Cael.

Cael kindly signed the newspaper a couple of years ago and I wanted to frame the paper with stub.

I then couldn't find the stub and thought the wife tossed the ticket - but I found it this week. My only bright spot of this damn season.

Guessing your wife appreciated your apology 😉

I actually did. I don't want to be rag dolled by a 5'2" woman who could make weight for 106lbs.

But she has pitched some of my prized items in the past. Actually she was going to pitch the above referenced newspaper until I told her I was going to have Cael sign it. And Cael came through!

... Dont worry Wino, Dogwelder will supply the MALE strippers ...
I’m bringing the kind of males who are biological females but they identify as transvestite gay males. So they look like hot women, dress like hot women, and desire good looking men such as us. :)

ADVERTISEMENT