ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Trials Results and discussion thread

Entirely possible, but he sure doesn't hesitate to give Cael and company credit for helping him on and off the mat. Who are we to question him, after all he has experienced the entire saga 1st hand.
Hell, now they're back to claiming TG, when a couple weeks ago, he was basically a traitor. Between that front headlock dude and Don Hawkeye, they're about as delusional it gets. Now smalls is over there stirring the pot. Lol

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying Cael deserves no credit, I'm suggesting that it's difficult to determine causation for something that might have happened naturally and gradually. Gilman and the NLWC were surely good for each other, but I don't think it therefore follows that Gilman wouldn't have matured if he had stayed in Iowa, which is what I think some are implying.

I do think it's safe to infer that he felt like the room was too crowded with Spencer there and that he wasn't getting the attention he felt he deserved from the staff, but that's on the mat stuff. I'm glad he's around, he's clearly helped our lightweights and they look up to him.
It had less to do with Spencer Lee than it did with the his coach leaving. Guy seemed to be lost when that happened and one thing led to another. Isn't his wife is from Central Pa., as well? Timing was right and its worked out well for him.

Reactions: tikk10
I believe he married Mike Evans’ sister. Evans was a Cumberland Valley guy before the lacrosse helmet incident. Queue the impressed jokes
I googled this, but couldn’t find anything. Care to elaborate on the lacrosse helmet incident?

Someone may have found a lacrosse helmut in their wrestling locker (that was to be shared) and then somehow poop might have ended up in said lacrosse helmut and a certain wrestler missed out on going to states

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
So what place does Oliver have to get to qualify the weight? Looked like a pretty stack tournament at his weight.

giphy.gif
Hahaha what is this from?

I was looking for the tape of Nick L vs Yianni match and found it on You Tube, but shortly into the video, a message came across the screen that it was no longer available. Does anyone know if it's available anywhere else? Unfortunately I had just cancelled my Peacock temporary subscription--so if it's in Peacock archives, I can no longer access it.

• Sad
Reactions: lionlover
I was looking for the tape of Nick L vs Yianni match and found it on You Tube, but shortly into the video, a message came across the screen that it was no longer available. Does anyone know if it's available anywhere else? Unfortunately I had just cancelled my Peacock temporary subscription--so if it's in Peacock archives, I can no longer access it.
Usually if you cancel a subscription, it runs through the length of the signup time? You may have access through the week trial.

Reactions: tomsc
Question for the board please. With Dake and DT both being 30, any thoughts or info on whether they’re expected to give it a go to compete for a spot on the team for the 2024 games? TIA

Reactions: diggerpup
Question for the board please. With Dake and DT both being 30, any thoughts or info on whether they’re expected to give it a go to compete for a spot on the team for the 2024 games? TIA
I think DT already answered that in the affirmative, and I highly doubt Dake will do otherwise, especially because it’s only three years out. Throw in the standard disclaimer regarding injuries, particularly in the 2023-4 time frame.

Usually if you cancel a subscription, it runs through the length of the signup time? You may have access through the week trial.
You're right PSUer 1989. Even though I cancelled, I can still access it (assumingly until my 7-day trial expires). For anyone interested that has Peacock Plus (or whatever the pay platform is called), the Lee-Yianni match is on the Saturday Mat 4 video, starting at around the 2.46 mark.

I have long thought the potential for TV wrestling consumption is far underserved. Never had the facts to support it, but the numbers above with zero mktg put into it shows there’s a lot of eyes that want to see this. I told a few people about the US Oly wrestling trials and none had any idea it was occurring but def wanted to watch

Reactions: tikk10
I have long thought the potential for TV wrestling consumption is far underserved. Never had the facts to support it, but the numbers above with zero mktg put into it shows there’s a lot of eyes that want to see this. I told a few people about the US Oly wrestling trials and none had any idea it was occurring but def wanted to watch
I don't watch MMA, so maybe this is already happening to some degree, but because so many NCAA wrestlers find their way to MMA, perhaps wrestling should be targeting those fans to let them know that it's a similar enough product, and today's NCAA stars are possibly tomorrow's MMA stars. College wrestling isn't going to be for every MMA fan, but since there are already a lot of wrestling fans who are MMA fans, getting some MMA fans (it's a huge fanbase) to cross over in the other direction shouldn't be that difficult. I get why the NCAA wouldn't or perhaps even can't, engage in such marketing, but wrestling media can.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
At the Asian qualifier today, Bekbulatov (UZB), the clear favorite to take one of the two 65kg spots, was up 8-0 and somehow got pinned by Akmataliev (KGZ), meaning that Bekbulatov will likely go to the Last Chance qualifier, one more obstacle for JO.

Link to match, probably paywalled

At the Asian qualifier today, Bekbulatov (UZB), the clear favorite to take one of the two 65kg spots, was up 8-0 and somehow got pinned by Akmataliev (KGZ), meaning that Bekbulatov will likely go to the Last Chance qualifier, one more obstacle for JO.

Link to match, probably paywalled
Akmataliev clearly saw Bo-Zahid.

ADVERTISEMENT