ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic success and recruiting

jbkeller72

Aug 19, 2007
Cael's been bringing in top ranked hammers for years now, but I have to think Gilman and Taylor's (hopefully Snyder's!) success on the biggest stage will rope some guys in who may otherwise be trending elsewhere. The talent and coaching at the NLWC is now indisputably unrivaled and has to be a draw for recruits with eyes on international success.

Cael's been bringing in top ranked hammers for years now, but I have to think Gilman and Taylor's (hopefully Snyder's!) success on the biggest stage will rope some guys in who may otherwise be trending elsewhere. The talent and coaching at the NLWC is now indisputably unrivaled and has to be a draw for recruits with eyes on international success.
Like maybe this guy?

Kerkvliet_Greg1920-683x1024.jpg

The best room in the world. If you don’t go to PSU in makes no sense
Time will tell if Bassett, Shapiro, Mendez, Bouzakis, etc, etc, choose Penn State. Don't agree with your comment though. So many great wrestlers pick colleges other than PSU for so many reasons. And just because they don't pick PSU doesn't mean they don't make sense.

Edit - Then again, maybe I just got trolled by a Mineo account.

Last edited:
Time will tell if Bassett, Shapiro, Mendez, Bouzakis, etc, etc, choose Penn State. Don't agree with your comment though. So many great wrestlers pick colleges other than PSU for so many reasons. And just because they don't pick PSU doesn't mean they don't make sense.
Agree that there's all sorts of personal reasons kids choose a certain college. That said, I'm totally bought in that many choose a school based on its ability to help them reach their goals on the mat.

Reactions: danoftw
Well if I am a Pa high school kid I am going to PSU to see if I am good enough if not I can always transfer but at least I tried.Iowa would be out Lehigh Pitt any Pa school hell yes!

Well if I am a Pa high school kid I am going to PSU to see if I am good enough if not I can always transfer but at least I tried.Iowa would be out Lehigh Pitt any Pa school hell yes!
People keep forgetting that it's often not the HS wrestler's decision to make.

PSU has a little under 40 roster spots total. With some guys only going 4 yrs, Cael typically has to fill 5-8 spots annually.

vs. PIAA has 26 champs and 208 total medalists every year. Not including PA national preps kids (like Beard).

Also not including out-of-staters who Cael wants on the team -- such as, say, the newest Olympic Champion.

Simple math says Cael recruits very few PA kids -- as starters or as depth.

And of those he does recruit, some will have very good reasons to go elsewhere. (Anyone want to claim Trent Hidlay should be sitting on the bench at PSU, instead of living with his brother at NC State?)

So it begins

[Kid:] My coach is an OLYMPIC CHAMP!! David Taylor is my hero. …
Putting myself in a HS kid’s mentality (!), it would seem so appealing to graduate from childhood and to go get coached by my champion coach’s (DT’s) champion coach (Cael). It might be even more appealing than a hypothetical situation in which I can stay with my club coach, because I’d be ready to “move on” to continue my path.

ef015e72edd41b6a38095ef56a278bd0_400x400.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7brwnpsu
ADVERTISEMENT