ADVERTISEMENT

oldest thing you own?

I think some have missed the op's point of it being something you've owned the longest not thing you own that's the oldest...
If that's the case, I've got some old coins like some of the rest of you.

Reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit here. Any kind of comprehension might not be now that I think about it...

Reactions: bison13
Aside from those watches conductors use to carry around, which my Dad gave me, I have to say it was a red winter hunting coat I purchased at Joseph Horne's from money I earned from my very first job. I was 14 at the time. Still have it. One of those things you just can't throw out.

Not grandad's watch- something that you've had the longest?

I was digging in the back of a closet this morning and stumbled on my baseball glove- it was my second one, must have been from when I was between 12-14. I'm pretty sure it's now my oldest possession.

J C Higgins single shot .22. Bought from Sears & Roebuck catalog. Early 50s, not sure of the actual year.

Reactions: brupsu
Oldest - probably 1870’s silver dollars. Given to me when I was born, so also what I have had the longest.

Others include an early 1930’s Daisy model 25 pump BB gun that was my father‘s that was given to me when I was about 4 years old (not allowed to play with it at that age of course) and therefore what I have had second longest. Also of interest, a mid 1940’s Japanese photo album that has photos of post war Hiroshima (my father was in the army of occupation right after the war) and my father’s 1930’s stamp collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: brupsu and bytir
Hamilton Beach milkshake maker from 1946/47. Been in the family since the 50s, still runs. Still have original stainless steel container with it. Makes great milkshakes and weighs a ton. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I don’t really keep stuff. It is probably either the boombox I bought the year I graduated high schoo, my softball glove I bought around the same time, or my CD of The Wall. Actually, now that I think of it, there is a baseball somewhere in the garage with my junior year stats on it. That’s probably the oldest thing I own.

Not grandad's watch- something that you've had the longest?

I was digging in the back of a closet this morning and stumbled on my baseball glove- it was my second one, must have been from when I was between 12-14. I'm pretty sure it's now my oldest possession.
First off, kudos on this thread. Unique and well done. Nice job.

Easy one. My mother was gifted a small cactus plant on the day I was born. That plant resides in a pot in my front yard 55 years later.....

I can go back to high school days which is over 60 years ago.
High school hockey skates - CCM Tacks
Ithaca pump shotgun
Hunting equipment like decoys and fishing equipment like some old glass fly rods I still use for bass in my pond.
Later in college -- school ring, diplomas, etc.
Military -- my combat boots from Vietnam and a couple of fatigue outfits, medals and awards.

Ithaca pump shotgun
Hunting equipment like decoys and fishing equipment like some old glass fly rods I still use for bass in my pond.
Military -- my combat boots from Vietnam and a couple of fatigue outfits, medals and awards.
Ithaca shotgun :) :)

Ithaca pump shotgun
Was given an old shotgun when I was a kid. Turns out it is a Winchester Model 12, a real collector item. Still have it.

Scorecard from bat day at Yankee stadium 1968 Cleveland Indians-New York Yankees. Luis Tiant pitched a clean 5 hitter and Mickey Mantle got the first Yankee hit, a clean single in the bottom of the 7th, I have the scorecard to go along with the Tom Tresh bat I got 20 minutes later, the second oldest thing I have.

Reactions: brupsu and Fac
For me, a patch work quilt my Great Grandmother hand made and hand stitched for me. It’s embroidered with my name and the date she gave it to me on my second birthday in 1961. Its a beautiful piece of work. She was a very special person to me. She lived to age 103 1/2. Her last 6 months she had some issues with her memory, but was sharp as a tack prior to that. She was the house mother at Tau Phi Delta fraternity at PSU for several years.

I plan to take the quilt with me when I leave this earth.

I have my Little League glove, a Norwoods 2500 six finger model which I used at first base. Got it when I was 12, so that dates it to summer of 1962 so it's 58 years old. My granddaughter and I used it to play catch recently. Also have a pocket New Testament signed by our family pastor at the time, June 14, 1964.
Wow, they had gloves back then for kids with six fingers on each hand? Man the 6-Finger Mc Coy boys from my childhood are gonna be PISSED. No baseball for them. They all played guitar.

Camp Miller yearbook (so to speak) from 1964. My 64 Phillies yearbook. Dad removed my 1962 Rifleman rifle too many years... such that i've long forgiven him lol.

1830-50 Antique furniture is the oldest, but, owned the longest, probably a 5 HP Firestone outboard motor made in 1946-50 and owned for ~65 years.

Oldest thing I own is a Masonic sword with my Grandfather’s name inscribed on the blade. I am named after him.
I also have my Father’s letters to my Grandparents from WWll. He would write them on what appears to be a form. They would be put on what appears to be microfilm, sent to the US, developed and sent to my Grandparents
The oldest thing from my youth is my patch for being on the 1958 football league champs-Redskins.
Very interesting thread.

I think some have missed the op's point of it being something you've owned the longest not thing you own that's the oldest...
If that's the case, I've got some old coins like some of the rest of you.

In my case one and the same. Started collecting pennies pre-grade school.

My grandfather made me a toy box and cradle when I was born. My son and daughter slept in the cradle when they were newborns. I guess You could say I’ve owned them for all 37 years I’ve graced this earth.

ADVERTISEMENT