ADVERTISEMENT

OL

BigTimeBig

Oct 4, 2008
Looked for a current thread about the oline but (surprisingly) didn't see one. Apparently the starting RT for Florida is a grad transfer from Fordham. Looks better than any of our OL... big 6-6 330 guy holding his own again Ole Miss. Wonder if Frankin tried to get him or just was oblivious to him transferring at all. Would have been a better choice than Reinhart (sp).

Another tidbit of information. The announcers doing the Clemson - ND game said that Clemson does not have any starters from last year on their OL. No returning starters and they are (currently) pushing ND all over the field. Why does it take PSU 3 years to develop an OL that can gel together (even before the sanctions)? I never did get that excuse at PSU and never will.

Another tidbit of information. The announcers doing the Clemson - ND game said that Clemson does not have any starters from last year on their OL. No returning starters and they are (currently) pushing ND all over the field. Why does it take PSU 3 years to develop an OL that can gel together (even before the sanctions)? I never did get that excuse at PSU and never will.

Well, PSU has had some pretty good RBs in it's history. I think "someone" was blocking for them. But, to be honest we have almost always had pretty good OLs, not always great but pretty good.
This particular line is the worst BY FAR that I have ever seen. AND I have been PSU longer than most on this board.
Franklin, has some quality and quantity coming in for the OL. They are at least two years away.
Plus, if you have REAL depth you plug in new players. As OSU did last year. Their line did not have much "starting" experience but 7 of the 10 players on their two deep were in the program for 3 years or more. Hardly young? We, on the other hand did not have the quantity to fill in for the loss players (sanctions), hence every "almost OL" has to play.

Agree completely. I played OL in high school and lower level college (I understand a different level, schemes, talent) but I never ever had difficulty with who was playing next to me. This line needs to play like they're angry and want to kill everything but our line has always been a little soft. Just my opinion.

And, the announcer mentioned that 2 or 3 of the OL for "Indiana" will play in the NFL. Most of these guys were 2 and 3 stars out of hs. What the hell is wrong with the talent or should say, no talent on our OL. Horrible, just Horrible!!!

That isn't what is happening. Norte dames defensive line is getting pressure but Clemson's qb is very mobile and he is hitting short passes or running when they get pressure. Clemson's qb is very poised and has very good presence in the pocket. Notre dame has to respect his mobility.

That isn't what is happening. Norte Dame's defensive line is getting pressure but Clemson's qb is very mobile and he is hitting short passes or running when they get pressure. Clemson's qb is very poised and has very good presence in the pocket. Notre Dame has to respect his mobility.

Looked for a current thread about the oline but (surprisingly) didn't see one. Apparently the starting RT for Florida is a grad transfer from Fordham. Looks better than any of our OL... big 6-6 330 guy holding his own again Ole Miss. Wonder if Frankin tried to get him or just was oblivious to him transferring at all. Would have been a better choice than Reinhart (sp).

Why didn't you post about him before he transferred?

And, the announcer mentioned that 2 or 3 of the OL for "Indiana" will play in the NFL. Most of these guys were 2 and 3 stars out of hs. What the hell is wrong with the talent or should say, no talent on our OL. Horrible, just Horrible!!!
I keep saying, "player development " but no one seems to see or understand that.

Call BO'B with your question. Sorbry, I don't have his number handy.

BO'B is not the problem for an OL that has a 5th year, two 4 years, and a 3rd year starting, Palmer not included but he can be considered a 3rd year. They have had plenty of time and were all rated 3 or 4 stars. No more excuses e,g, they haven't played together much, they have two converted DL, yada, yada.

Last years Buckeye OL had almost exactly the same talent as ours: two converted DL, a couple of 3 stars, etc. After the first game against VA Tech when their QB was sacked something like 7 times, they went to work and fixed the problem. At the end of the season, they had big bad Bama DL sucking wind and they pounded the ball down their throats.

Some on this board sound like "Liberal Democrats", everything is George Bush's fault. To blame this putrid OL play on O'Brien is ridiculous. They are just not very good, in fact, they hare "Horrible." Army's OL is much better, no doubt about it.

Reactions: Ski
I blame Dick Anderson or HIT, you can pick

The fact that the Clemson line has lots of new starters is a nice fact. What really should be discussed is what age and experience the new OL players for Clemson have. Are they 4th and 5th year kids that started as 3/4/5 star recruits (talented kids) and were developed and given playing time for the last 2 years as they developed so that they were ready and able to come in and form an adequate major college OL???

The Clemson OL depth chart, per Rivals:

dc_ot.jpg
75 Mitch Hyatt | 6-5, 295, FR
51 Taylor Hearn | 6-5, 330, RS FR
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_ot.jpg
73 Joe Gore | 6-6, 300, RS SR
63 Jake Fruhmorgen | 6-6, 280, FR
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_og.jpg
78 Eric Mac Lain | 6-5, 315, RS SR
50 Justin Falcinelli | 6-3, 305, RS FR
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_og.jpg
55 Tyrone Crowder | 6-2, 330, RS SO
69 Maverick Morris | 6-5, 300, RS SO
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_c.jpg
58 Ryan Norton | 6-3, 285, SR
57 Jay Guillermo | 6-3, 325, RS JR
dc_dotted.jpg

Or were they culled from a small number of players, many of whom were marginal recruits (Laurent and Reihmer), players recruited for DL that were forced to play OL due to the lack of real OL talent (Gaia and Dowrey), or players forced to play before they were really strong and experienced enough to play at a high level (Palmer, Mahon, Nelson, Sorrell,...)?

Some here think discussing the facts is making excuses for the players, coaching staff,... But in 2 or 3 years, when Beh's and Sorrell's class are redshirt Seniors, it will be the first time we have a full complement of talented OL players that have been developed (coaching, strength training, gradual playing experience) to form a formidable OL.

OL is definitely the hardest position to recruit and project players. That's why it is so important to recruit a large number of players, some of which will pan out and some of which will not. And when you can recruit 4 and 5 star talent, there will be occasional players that are able to play at a high level as RS freshmen and sophs. But right now we don't have those players on the roster, unless they are redshirting this year.....

Reactions: royboy and m48tank
The fact that the Clemson line has lots of new starters is a nice fact. What really should be discussed is what age and experience the new OL players for Clemson have. Are they 4th and 5th year kids that started as 3/4/5 star recruits (talented kids) and were developed and given playing time for the last 2 years as they developed so that they were ready and able to come in and form an adequate major college OL???

The Clemson OL depth chart, per Rivals:

dc_ot.jpg
75 Mitch Hyatt | 6-5, 295, FR
51 Taylor Hearn | 6-5, 330, RS FR
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_ot.jpg
73 Joe Gore | 6-6, 300, RS SR
63 Jake Fruhmorgen | 6-6, 280, FR
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_og.jpg
78 Eric Mac Lain | 6-5, 315, RS SR
50 Justin Falcinelli | 6-3, 305, RS FR
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_og.jpg
55 Tyrone Crowder | 6-2, 330, RS SO
69 Maverick Morris | 6-5, 300, RS SO
dc_dotted.jpg

dc_c.jpg
58 Ryan Norton | 6-3, 285, SR
57 Jay Guillermo | 6-3, 325, RS JR
dc_dotted.jpg

Or were they culled from a small number of players, many of whom were marginal recruits (Laurent and Reihmer), players recruited for DL that were forced to play OL due to the lack of real OL talent (Gaia and Dowrey), or players forced to play before they were really strong and experienced enough to play at a high level (Palmer, Mahon, Nelson, Sorrell,...)?

Some here think discussing the facts is making excuses for the players, coaching staff,... But in 2 or 3 years, when Beh's and Sorrell's class are redshirt Seniors, it will be the first time we have a full complement of talented OL players that have been developed (coaching, strength training, gradual playing experience) to form a formidable OL.

OL is definitely the hardest position to recruit and project players. That's why it is so important to recruit a large number of players, some of which will pan out and some of which will not. And when you can recruit 4 and 5 star talent, there will be occasional players that are able to play at a high level as RS freshmen and sophs. But right now we don't have those players on the roster, unless they are redshirting this year.....

the current OL lack much talent, so were misses or converted players that don't fit well. in that case, I would suggest that the top schools every year have a FR or RS FR who starts on their lines. Bama historically has had one 4 yr starter graduate every year. so if we are recruiting well, why don't these new players have more talent than the current OL and just replace them?? I am assuming because the new players are not that much better than what we have.

the current OL lack much talent, so were misses or converted players that don't fit well. in that case, I would suggest that the top schools every year have a FR or RS FR who starts on their lines. Bama historically has had one 4 yr starter graduate every year. so if we are recruiting well, why don't these new players have more talent than the current OL and just replace them?? I am assuming because the new players are not that much better than what we have.

Because we WERE NOT recruiting OL well the 4 years before CJF arrived (low numbers, low rated recruits, compounded by transfers and players getting removed from the team due to discipline issues....). CJF IS NOW recruiting more talented OL players, but reread the above and realize it is fruitless to play most true frosh or RS frosh. It will take years to rebuild the OL talent, but from the rankings of the 2015 and committed 2016 OL recruits (and the other offers these players had from top programs) CJF has it going in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT