ADVERTISEMENT

OL really will be one of the Big Ten's best next year

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
We just crossed a milestone for Franklin's program I think. The Penn State offensive line just outplayed -- and by a significant margin -- a Wisconsin OL that some people considered one of the best in the country.

The tackle switch worked well -- Fries looks at home at LT and Bates is Bates wherever he plays. Menet and Gonzalez were both amazing. They've always been incredible athletes but they're playing so much faster now -- much more instinctive.

The whole line is finally showing the ability to improvise on the spot, which is one of the keys to run blocking. One one of Sanders' big runs you could see Menet fire out, notice an unblocked man about 3 yards to his right, and scoot over there just in time for Sanders to get through behind him -- and Sanders had the patience to wait for Menet to get there. They've all learned that you don't have to dominate people physically to get an effective block, it's just timing and good technique. But once people this size get timing and technique, they're going to bury a lot of football players.

Pity this couldn't have happened a few games earlier. I think they'd beat MSU now. I sure hope Sanders gives serious consideration to staying one more year, because he could have a really special season in 2019 running behind these guys. Especially since the passing game is not going to stay down for long -- there is too much young talent at wideout. PSU should really have balance next year.

We just crossed a milestone for Franklin's program I think. The Penn State offensive line just outplayed -- and by a significant margin -- a Wisconsin OL that some people considered one of the best in the country.

The tackle switch worked well -- Fries looks at home at LT and Bates is Bates wherever he plays. Menet and Gonzalez were both amazing. They've always been incredible athletes but they're playing so much faster now -- much more instinctive.

The whole line is finally showing the ability to improvise on the spot, which is one of the keys to run blocking. One one of Sanders' big runs you could see Menet fire out, notice an unblocked man about 3 yards to his right, and scoot over there just in time for Sanders to get through behind him -- and Sanders had the patience to wait for Menet to get there. They've all learned that you don't have to dominate people physically to get an effective block, it's just timing and good technique. But once people this size get timing and technique, they're going to bury a lot of football players.

Pity this couldn't have happened a few games earlier. I think they'd beat MSU now. I sure hope Sanders gives serious consideration to staying one more year, because he could have a really special season in 2019 running behind these guys. Especially since the passing game is not going to stay down for long -- there is too much young talent at wideout. PSU should really have balance next year.
Fries nearly got McSorley killed a couple of times.

Walker and Thorpe will be in there next year as I expect both Bates and Gonzo to move to playing on Sunday’s.

Fries has mastered the matador blocking technique. Also did anyone remember seeing Bates just standing like a statue and not moving downfield to block someone while Trace was scrambling away from defenders? If he blocks a guy in front of him, Trace has a bigger run. The OL has no sense of awareness and still cannot block cunning stunts.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Fries has mastered the matador blocking technique. Also did anyone remember seeing Bates just standing like a statue and not moving downfield to block someone while Trace was scrambling away from defenders? If he blocks a guy in front of him, Trace has a bigger run. The OL has no sense of awareness and still cannot block cunning stunts.
I saw that play. It was a pass play. Bates doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. He had no idea Trace was going to take off and run. There is a lot to be critical of with this OL but I wouldn't single out that play.

Agree with others, he didn't know, looked worse than it was. If he goes too far and Trace throws it then its a penalty. Tough spot for Bates.

Reactions: BBrown
Bates standing still while Trace is scrambling behind him with no one to pass it to so he has to run is a perfect example of dysfunctional communication on the offense and OL. Yeah, perhaps,it started as a pass play but when you stand still and don't even look around and your QB is running for his life, one would think that, perhaps, coaches have tried to train lineman to have their head on a swivel. Did Trace even yell out to Bates to go and block? I don't know, but I have seen our offensive line not have any great awareness where the defense is coming from. I see 2 OL blocking one man way too many times and that should not be.

The problem with the OT's and the OL is they really seem awful at picking up stunts for guys who have 2+ years as starters. I really don't see it as being a physical issue anymore...all mental.

OP is overly optimistic.

McSorley will be sore all week because of Fries incompetent play. In regards to the rushing yards produced, let's not forget that BYU ran up 200+ yards on this Wisconsin defense.

I'll believe when I see it next season.

The line looks better when they just fire off of the ball on plays that appear to be basic handoffs as opposed to RPO stuff. Sanders looks better running the ball in that situation as well.

Reactions: 81b&w
It certainly looked odd. My guess was that was an RPO, and Bates had to stay put out of fear of an ineligible receiver downfield penalty. He might not have known if Trace was going to run or throw, or that Trace had scrambled out behind him.

Who will the OL's position coach be?
Given the lack of development in the last two years, how can you be confident improvement will happen under the current coach next season?

The problem with the OT's and the OL is they really seem awful at picking up stunts for guys who have 2+ years as starters. I really don't see it as being a physical issue anymore...all mental.

It must be...you are drilled on it every day.

Not even close. 71 is so much better than 7 71 might mess up a play or 2. 7 hasn't made any plays

Close enough that he got our QB killed twice. Is Fries better than Farmer? Yes, if we are comparing an OT to a LB which makes no sense. But Fries should be better than that at this stage of his career. He was the weakest link.

Close enough that he got our QB killed twice. Is Fries better than Farmer? Yes, if we are comparing an OT to a LB which makes no sense. But Fries should be better than that at this stage of his career. He was the weakest link.
the difference that I see is this, Fries problems can be over come with coaching. Farmer's problems cant be, never would be. IMO 7 doesnt want to take on blocks and to me appears to dislike contact, both bad for LBers that spend considerable time in the box.
fwiw I wrote how you can fix Fries in Storming' break down of the film report.
scroll down I believe....https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/couple-notes-upon-review-of-the-game-tape.224807/

I hate to be negative but every year I keep waiting for that "next" year. If we win out and win bowl game and end up 10-3 I will be happy but I do think we underachieved....should be 9-1 right now. Absolutely no excuse for the loss to Ohio state and MSU again this year.

I hate to be negative but every year I keep waiting for that "next" year. If we win out and win bowl game and end up 10-3 I will be happy but I do think we underachieved....should be 9-1 right now. Absolutely no excuse for the loss to Ohio state and MSU again this year.
100% agree.

Reactions: Nashville Lion

and there you see the flaw in the system. Since Bates didn't know what Trace was doing he couldn't just start blocking or he would have been flagged for an illegal man down field. Or so it was explained by Jack and Steve. Makes sense.
And wow I read "cunning stunts" completely different. LOL.

Reactions: royboy
I have wondered this are we making our OL do more then we need to instead of just playing football we have them trying to guess what is going on behind them which is making them have to make them figure out can i go down field or not are running behind me so i can just run block like are we asking to much from our OL to handle.

I have wondered this are we making our OL do more then we need to instead of just playing football we have them trying to guess what is going on behind them which is making them have to make them figure out can i go down field or not are running behind me so i can just run block like are we asking to much from our OL to handle.
ah no.

Trace was not past the line of scrimmage. If Bates takes off to block the defender and trace throws the ball, Bates gets flagged for being downfield.

Reactions: stormingnorm

About the same chance as Rutgers beating PSU. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT