ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State @ Iowa (8pm est)

Okl State can be tough at nationals they do not look like a team that should be losing this bad and lost to UNI..Have some guys gonna make some upsets I believe in March..

Reactions: ccdiver
Young is definitely good but at the same time not particularly impressive. He is in a lot of close matches. He wins a lot of them because he's in good condition, can get out from bottom, and usually is tough to score on. But when he gets upset it's not that surprising IMO.

Well, of course he can get out -- he's a Punxsutawney guy, and wants to check for his own shadow.

Honest question, who thinks Lugo is still overrated? He has beaten 3,6,7,9,10,11,15,16,17, and 19 (Intermat rankings). Lost to #1 Sasso.
It was only a week or so ago I posted Lugo is easily the 4th best wrestler on this Iowa team

Reactions: Fatmarc
Honest question, who thinks Lugo is still overrated? He has beaten 3,6,7,9,10,11,15,16,17, and 19 (Intermat rankings). Lost to #1 Sasso.

Think he beat number one at the midlands at that time in Dec..think it was OConnor or something like that.

Edit...That moved him to number one and then Sasso beat him in over time and he has been number 2 ever since..He does have many close wins though but looks cool and good.

What happened to John Smith??? How can one of the top 3 programs in wrestling history have fallen so much????? They look like Edinboro or Rider out there??? Shocking! The big 10 just dominates wrestling!
A guess would be that what went on tonight generally stemmed from a combination of average talent / experience and a less-than-B1G level of schedule difficulty meeting this year's overall-strongest team in its home pit.

By contrast, a PSU squad missing 40% of its original starting lineup, in what was seen as a transition season from the get-go, came up a Mark-Hall-upset short of beating the same Iowa team in that same pit. But of course we all know Cael can't coach, so ... ;)

Last edited:
To be fair there is a bunch of talent that will taking the mat the next 3-4 years in Stillwater. Should be fun to watch OSU back in the mix with PSU and Iowa.

They knew this would be somewhat of a throw away year but still tough to stomach what you are seeing tonight.

People talk about how ridiculous Cael recruits but John Smith is recruiting just as well probably. Ferrari, Haas, Plott, Mastrogiovanni Brothers. Fix and Wittlake are only sophomores next year also.

People talk about how ridiculous Cael recruits but John Smith is recruiting just as well probably. Ferrari, Haas, Plott, Mastrogiovanni Brothers. Fix and Wittlake are only sophomores next year also.
Right but seems like Smith has them cut so much dam weight it is unbelievable
that Fix can make 125.

REALLY???? Where are they? They looked like shit tonight. No aggressiveness and crappy offense. Guys rolling over for easy bonus points for Iowa. I know Fix is on Olympic redshirt (now disqualified redshirt!). I thought there was a million Smith brother spawn that was supposed to populate the roster. I see them as no threat to us in the foreseeable future.

REALLY???? Where are they? They looked like shit tonight. No aggressiveness and crappy offense. Guys rolling over for easy bonus points for Iowa. I know Fix is on Olympic redshirt (now disqualified redshirt!). I thought there was a million Smith brother spawn that was supposed to populate the roster. I see them as no threat to us in the foreseeable future.
Most of the guys he listed are not yet on campus.

OKST has recruited very well recently. We should still be in good shape, but dismissing them once those guys arrive is foolish.

This is an off year this year. Those recruits will bring them back into the conversation, with, and probably even without Fix.

Reactions: diggerpup
Warner should have been banged for top stall all three times they went off the mat.

I agree that there should have been a call after the 3rd time. But I don't know if I have ever seen anything but action called on the first 2 push outs, against any team.

I wouldn't say he is overrated. He is among the best in a relatively weak weight class. Though it's not his fault it's a relatively weak weight, and the points all count the same at NCAAs. However, he wrestles a lot of close matches, so his margin for error is small. Yeah, he decked Lewallan, but I still can't believe that Boo got caught flat on that move.

I wouldn't say he is overrated. He is among the best in a relatively weak weight class. Though it's not his fault it's a relatively weak weight, and the points all count the same at NCAAs. However, he wrestles a lot of close matches, so his margin for error is small. Yeah, he decked Lewallan, but I still can't believe that Boo got caught flat on that move.
This^^

and I wouldn’t call 149 relatively weak. IMO it is the worst weight in college wrestling in the last decade

There is no doubt he's very deserving of his ranking. He's one the toughest 149 pounder to score on. His defense is unbelievable.
2 comments to watch.
By looking at his body type he looks like he has tough weight cut. Probably more susceptible to an AM upset than later in day.
2nd comment is strictly an educated observation
He seems to have a case of a Tourettes Syndrome. He has facial ticks that I would guess is from the disorder. I am not a doctor but do know 2 people that have it. It becomes more problematic for them under stress. Sometimes the issue can excerbate when the anxiety becomes the greatest. To wrestle at this level with that issue is truly amazing.

Last edited:
Right but seems like Smith has them cut so much dam weight it is unbelievable
that Fix can make 125.

This has become like a wrestling meme about Okie State cutting weight but I think it became a meme because it's true. Guys suck down so much for Okie State and it does not seem to be working. At least it has not in a long time (at least a decade) for them.

Reactions: diggerpup
I agree that there should have been a call after the 3rd time. But I don't know if I have ever seen anything but action called on the first 2 push outs, against any team.
All three were with Warner on top and he pushed, pulled and once picked up and turned to take bottom guy OOB.

I am not talking chasing someone OOB, but blatantly forcing bottom guy out. I am not saying it ever gets called. I am saying if called correctly Warner should have been hit with 4 stalls from the top position.

This has become like a wrestling meme about Okie State cutting weight but I think it became a meme because it's true. Guys suck down so much for Okie State and it does not seem to be working. At least it has not in a long time (at least a decade) for them.
I think this is based on guys trying to find a spot in the lineup in years past (Marstellar and Joey Wildasin come to mind immediately). No one currently in the lineup is cutting significantly. Our guys look small most of the time when they walk on the mat. Other than Boo and Montalvo, who look normal.

I think this is based on guys trying to find a spot in the lineup in years past (Marstellar and Joey Wildasin come to mind immediately). No one currently in the lineup is cutting significantly. Our guys look small most of the time when they walk on the mat. Other than Boo and Montalvo, who look normal.

Oklahoma State is my second favorite program so I hope their recruiting pays off moving forward. I know JoJo is another one who has cut and not cut weight over the years. He's wrestled four different weights.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT