ADVERTISEMENT

Ok we are Linebacker U could we say that Pitt is

Some go by NFL success as that creates their desired answer. To me, it's all about college success. For example: If one school produced nine Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks and All-American after All-American at quarterback that didn't win the Heisman Trophy for them but they didn't pan out in the NFL, that school wouldn't be Quarterback U?

Charlie Ward won the Heisman trophy at FSU playing quarterback yet never played in the NFL opting to play in the NBA instead. Does that diminish what he accomplished in college? Do the injuries that curtailed the careers of Dennis Onkotz and Ki-Jana Carter diminish what they accomplished in college?

If it's by what players accomplish in the NFL, what about the following players: Does what Terrelle Pryor accomplish count towards Ohio State's wide receivers? He never played WR at Ohio State but it's what he does in the NFL right? Does Antwan Randel-El count towards Indiana's receivers? He played quarterback at IU. Position changes are not uncommon. So why give credit to their alma mater for a position they never played at in college?

What about Matt Cassell? Does he count towards USC's quarterbacks? He never started a game and I believe attempted 30 passes in his college career. So what he accomplished in the NFL help USC as Quarterback U? Does Chris Hogan count towards Penn State's wide receivers?

Jack Lambert and James Harrison both went to Kent State. A hall-of-famer and near hall of famer, is Kent State more of a Linebacker U than Pitt?

To me, it's what you accomplish in college that should count towards a college being a position U.

I'll give you one further point of contention with me on a similar vein. Miami 2001. Some would call them the greatest college football team of all-time based primarily on what their players accomplished in the NFL. Why should anything a player accomplishes in the NFL influence what actually happened in the past. If the '01 Hurricanes produced 22 NFL hall of famers that doesn't change the fact they struggled to beat Boston College and only beat 14th ranked Virginia Tech by only two points on the field of play in 2001. Future accomplishments do not change past results and isn't that what should be compared. If anything, it shows how talented they were but not what they actually accomplished. If they were THAT great, they should have destroyed every opponent based on what their players accomplished in the NFL and they did not.

That's like proclaiming Bryce Harper's little league team the greatest ever because he played on it even though they may have not even made the LL World Series.

That was an extremely long answer for shoukd have been a much shorter one.

Bleacher Report has the top 25 schools in terms of Running Back U....USC is #1, Ohio State is #2, Penn State is #3....and Pitt is #22....not even close.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Live in PGH and a buddy invited me to the game vs VA Tech on Saturday. Will admit that Pitt’s RBs are very impressive (Hall and Ollison). Both had over 180 yards rushing individually, and knocked out a couple really long runs. Would still take Sanders in a heartbeat, but Pitt has had and currently has some great backs

Live in PGH and a buddy invited me to the game vs VA Tech on Saturday. Will admit that Pitt’s RBs are very impressive (Hall and Ollison). Both had over 180 yards rushing individually, and knocked out a couple really long runs. Would still take Sanders in a heartbeat, but Pitt has had and currently has some great backs
Georgia Tech’s RB had 215 yards against VT, ND’s had 178 and Old Dominion’s has 130...apparently it’s not hard for a RB to look good against VT.

BReport says PSU had 30 rb's drafted to pitt's 18.

Damn, I wish I could post this on the liar, unfortunately I can't.

Runningback U. Dorsette Martin Hall of Famers. McCoy over 10,000 rushing yards. Connors tearing it up, back in the day Iron head Heyward and the list goes on what say ye
Unfortunately, you will never get anyone on this board to agree with you about anything Pitt unless it is negative. Pitt has produced very good NFL running backs.

Bleacher Report has the top 25 schools in terms of Running Back U....USC is #1, Ohio State is #2, Penn State is #3....and Pitt is #22....not even close.

If you go by the numbers, we are Running Back U first and LBU second

Pitt fan here. When deciding arbitrary titles like these, I think it depends on what your criteria is. If it’s solely based on how many RBs you send to the NFL or solely how well they do in college, schools like Alabama, Ohio State, or USC probably have our number. But if you want to base it off how they do both in college and in the NFL (Pro Bowls, HOFers, etc) along with consistency over the years, I think Pitt can make an argument. I personally chose quality over quantity.

It’s also why I give the LBU nod to Penn State. Sure schools like Miami can claim it, but PSU produces some of the best “quality” over the span of 30-40 years.
If you’re going with quality over quantity, then you must be picking Kansas (Riggins and Sayers), or Syracuse (Brown, Csonka, Little), or Notre Dame (Bettis and Bleier), or Texas (Campbell and Williams), or USC (Allen, Bell, Bush and Simpson). That’s why quality over quantity doesn’t work, too many schools have similar number of greats, but not many schools have multiple really good players.

If you’re going with quality over quantity, then you must be picking Kansas (Riggins and Sayers), or Syracuse (Brown, Csonka, Little), or Notre Dame (Bettis and Bleier), or Texas (Campbell and Williams), or USC (Allen, Bell, Bush and Simpson). That’s why quality over quantity doesn’t work, too many schools have similar number of greats, but not many schools have multiple really good players.

Quite simply, a school that hasn't been relevant in CFB since 1981 can't make an argument for anything.

Are we talking college or pro because someone like Tom Brady wasn’t very good at Michigan but great in the nfl. Heck, hogan at wide receiver is pretty good for patriots and he played for psu lacrosse so they are alumni but....

I am talking about Running backs that played at Pitt that went on to do well in the NFL

Runningback U. Dorsette Martin Hall of Famers. McCoy over 10,000 rushing yards. Connors tearing it up, back in the day Iron head Heyward and the list goes on what say ye

No. The NFL has nothing to do with college football.
And if that is your standard, PSU has had more talented running backs so PSU would also be Running back U.
Pitt is "Why would U?"

Reactions: pandaczar12
Nah, it will always be remembered as “Free Beverage U”

I say it out of love and respect for the number of times our fellow Pennsylvanian brothers have pointed out the wondrous museums around them, and not for the fact their best days and all that remains of their campus stadium are in them.

I am talking about Running backs that played at Pitt that went on to do well in the NFL

So what constitutes "playing" at a particular school? If they took 1 snap, got hurt and transferred, does that count?

Well no but Dorsett, McCoy, Martin, Conner, Heyward played more than one snap

Well no but Dorsett, McCoy, Martin, Conner, Heyward played more than one snap

That's great and all, and completely obvious, but it doesn't answer the question... "So what constitutes "playing" at a particular school". I'm looking for specifics and a basis for your reasoning.

Ok player a b c d played running back at college Z. All have had great NFL careers or had good seasons. Can college Z make the claim that they produce good NFL running backs

Len Dawson played for the steelers as a QB.

Steelers will take full credit for his two super bowl wins as the leader of the Kansas City chiefs.

ADVERTISEMENT