ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State says they need $13m NIL investment per year to compete

Well I guess ask the current NLC donors that question.

We don't pay coqch 10M a year from tuition.
i guess there is a line for everybody. I could see how contributing to the NLC could be seen to the donor as contributing to all the players getting scholarships, free room, free meals, a $4500 stipend, and access to world class facilities and coaching. that NLC contribution also contributes to the coaching and staff salaries as you note, as well as upgrades to the physical buildings, etc....it also supports other sports programs within PSU from cheerleaders to the dance squad and to a lesser extent the olympic sports programs.

contributing to NIL literally is like after a game walking over to a player and writing them a check for a few grand for a good game.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Here is a question I don't understand. Why would I donate $5K or $20K to pay Drew Allar or Curtis Jacobs or Langdown Tengwell to play football at PSU?

I could take that money and use it to take my family on a really nice vacation, use it to pay for my own kids college so they don't have to take on debt, use it to buy my kid a car so they have a better life in high school, use it to help furnish my first kid's apartment when they get out of college so they can live nicer, ....i can literally think of 1000 things I would rather do with my money then pay an 18-21 year old kid to play football at PSU. That has zero priority in my life when it comes to what I want to spend my money for.
You aren't the target booster. They want the people for which 20k is a drop in the bucket and wouldn't be missed. If you have many millions, you can afford to throw around large donations with little repercussion and still afford all of the other things you mentioned.

You aren't the target booster. They want the people for which 20k is a drop in the bucket and wouldn't be missed. If you have many millions, you can afford to throw around large donations with little repercussion and still afford all of the other things you mentioned.
I know. Takes a few hundred 'booster's like myself to equal one 'big' booster and no amount of small time boosters can equal the whale booster who can drop a few million. But what a lot people keep bringing up is how PSU as the biggest alumni association and therefore should be able to compete with anybody. That relies on the fact that all the alumni are OK with giving a $1k - $10k per year to a NIL fund.

I know. Takes a few hundred 'booster's like myself to equal one 'big' booster and no amount of small time boosters can equal the whale booster who can drop a few million. But what a lot people keep bringing up is how PSU as the biggest alumni association and therefore should be able to compete with anybody. That relies on the fact that all the alumni are OK with giving a $1k - $10k per year to a NIL fund.

Let's start with the question: Who has more money? PSU alumni or Texas A&M alumni?

LdN

Wait until some of those boosters get caught trying to write it off as a taxable expense.

I'm sure some already have for years.

As somebody mentioned before, there has got to be something more than just "pay to play". And at some point, funds are going to dry up if A&M, USC, and Tennessee don't make the playoff. And to the other extreme, if those 3 use these collectives and make the playoff, every team that can raise the money will be trying to get their team to the promised land.

Here is a question I don't understand. Why would I donate $5K or $20K to pay Drew Allar or Curtis Jacobs or Langdown Tengwell to play football at PSU?

I could take that money and use it to take my family on a really nice vacation, use it to pay for my own kids college so they don't have to take on debt, use it to buy my kid a car so they have a better life in high school, use it to help furnish my first kid's apartment when they get out of college so they can live nicer, ....i can literally think of 1000 things I would rather do with my money then pay an 18-21 year old kid to play football at PSU. That has zero priority in my life when it comes to what I want to spend my money for.
Totally agree but when you get really rich people with their priorities totally out of whack dropping $50K to pay Drew Allar ain't nothing to them. I could be wrong but I don't think PSU has a ton of these people lingering around nor do a lot of the schools except the football factories.

You are wrong. The desire is to have 1000's of people contribute 10, 25, 50 per month on a subscription basis. That is what is believed to be a sustainable model, not a few whales giving a one or two time large amount as that is not sustainable.

You are wrong. The desire is to have 1000's of people contribute 10, 25, 50 per month on a subscription basis. That is what is believed to be a sustainable model, not a few whales giving a one or two time large amount as that is not sustainable.
Again, which is where people are going to have to start making choices on how to spend their money. Me personally, I am not going to write a check for $600 for a random PSU LB or DB to play one quarter of football for PSU (which is what the math equates to). I am going to spend that $600 on more important things in my life.

If PSU has this large alumni base we always hear about, raising as much money as A&M should be fairly easy.

The real issue at PSU is the admin killed off interest in football and allowed the media to trample our self respect.

I cannot believe, were the program doing well, and we didn't just pay our marginal coach 10M per year, we would struggle at all to compete financially with OSU.

Our program, unfortunately, and our school has killed it's fans.

LdN
I'll politely disagree.
PSU certainly has the wealth base among alumni to compete with A&M, etc, however, IMHO, NIL is a 'decriminalization' of everything "Success with Honor" stood against. I don't see enough of the PSU alumni base becoming legal 'bagmen' to raise $13M annually.
The most important word in Success with Honor is 'Honor' and if Success means doing away with the Honor, I think PSU alumni will do without the Success

Really? have you read or heard something to support this? I'm skeptical on the ability to crowdfund this.
Assuming $25/mos, that's 43,333 people forking over an average of $300 annually.

Really? have you read or heard something to support this? I'm skeptical on the ability to crowdfund this.
Assuming $25/mos, that's 43,333 people forking over an average of $300 annually.
I think what he said is correct, the HOPE (keyword is hope) is to crowdfund this by getting tens of thousands of alumni to donate smaller sums IN ADDITION to going hard after more mega and whale level donors. The question will be is if that crowdfunding by finding tens of thousands of alumni who will be giving additional hundreds/thousands of dollars beyond what they already give will be possible.

Reactions: heckmans
at the level they've become accustomed to. A pretty good article. That is about $150k per player or $500k per key player (assuming 26 key players). Not bad income, really.

I think this is where the opportunity lies for college football. Most of this NIL money will go to QB's, WR's, and CB's. OL, DT, LB, Ss, TEs, and second stringers will probably get nothing or next to nothing. Profiding a path for players to unionize will pitt the moneymakers (who want the lions share based on their NIL value) against everyone else (which happens to be the majority). Here is where a collective bargaining agreement can be struck and approved by the majority of players. That CBA can include some guidelines around the rules as well as a way to share the wealth.

Good times

giphy.gif
CJF makes about $8 million per year. Maybe some of that could go to players.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
I guess I see your point but smart people on a limited budget should be even less likely to contribute to a recurring subscription model because that has a recurring and lasting impact to one's budget. Makes no difference to me really, I fundamentally disagree with the concept so they won't see a dime from me either way.

at the level they've become accustomed to. A pretty good article. That is about $150k per player or $500k per key player (assuming 26 key players). Not bad income, really.

I think this is where the opportunity lies for college football. Most of this NIL money will go to QB's, WR's, and CB's. OL, DT, LB, Ss, TEs, and second stringers will probably get nothing or next to nothing. Profiding a path for players to unionize will pitt the moneymakers (who want the lions share based on their NIL value) against everyone else (which happens to be the majority). Here is where a collective bargaining agreement can be struck and approved by the majority of players. That CBA can include some guidelines around the rules as well as a way to share the wealth.

Good times

giphy.gif
If OSU gets $15 million USC will get $20 million. Then $15 million will no longer be enough.

Blah, Blah, Blah
For PSU it is compete time or STFU and play the Delaware Blue Hens.
There is no reason PSU cannot graduate players and compete with any University re: NIL. Time to quit kidding yourselfs. Who came back to graduate at PSU from the NFL. All the Fing CEOs that PSU puts into Corporate America are just temporarily busy price gouging. Eventually, they will bring that Zeal to goodold state NIL...lol.
It is just priorities guys.

ADVERTISEMENT