ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State says they need $13m NIL investment per year to compete

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
at the level they've become accustomed to. A pretty good article. That is about $150k per player or $500k per key player (assuming 26 key players). Not bad income, really.

I think this is where the opportunity lies for college football. Most of this NIL money will go to QB's, WR's, and CB's. OL, DT, LB, Ss, TEs, and second stringers will probably get nothing or next to nothing. Profiding a path for players to unionize will pitt the moneymakers (who want the lions share based on their NIL value) against everyone else (which happens to be the majority). Here is where a collective bargaining agreement can be struck and approved by the majority of players. That CBA can include some guidelines around the rules as well as a way to share the wealth.

Good times

giphy.gif

at the level they've become accustomed to. A pretty good article. That is about $150k per player or $500k per key player (assuming 26 key players). Not bad income, really.

I think this is where the opportunity lies for college football. Most of this NIL money will go to QB's, WR's, and CB's. OL, DT, LB, Ss, TEs, and second stringers will probably get nothing or next to nothing. Profiding a path for players to unionize will pitt the moneymakers (who want the lions share based on their NIL value) against everyone else (which happens to be the majority). Here is where a collective bargaining agreement can be struck and approved by the majority of players. That CBA can include some guidelines around the rules as well as a way to share the wealth.

Good times

giphy.gif
Reading this article, I have 2 thoughts
1. Does anyone believe that OSU is trying to occupy a middle ground on anything?
2. No one cares about the minors and reading this article makes me care even less about CFB than I did yesterday. I can only hope the implosion doesn't take too long so that the majority of CFB can return to some form of amateurism, before it's completely dead.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard the Penn State alumni NIL effort raised a couple hundred thousand dollars. That's what we are dealing with here.

I have no doubt that a $13 MM payroll is currently the going rate. But CFB is going to die very soon if those OSU payroll numbers persist.

1. Does anyone believe that OSU is trying to occupy a middle ground on anything?
2. No one cares about the minors and reading this article makes me care even less about CFB than I did yesterday. I can only hope the implosion doesn't take too long so that the majority of CFB can return to some form of amateurism, before it's completely dead.
Agreed, my draw to CFB was they were students too, at least at PSU. It's why I always respected Joe, he cared about the education part, you know that college word.

Give OSU (and programs like Alabama and Clemson) credit. They're not using NIL to buy recruits, but they're making sure that star players once in the program are getting handsomely paid. CJ Stroud was one of the biggest NIL gainers in the nation last year.

In that sense, it is a middle ground between the Texas A&Ms and Tennessees of the world on one hand, and programs doing nothing on the other.

Their pitch is, "we're not going to pay you to come here, but if you do come here and produce, you'll make some serious bank before we put you in the NFL to make even more serious bank".

We're not going to keep up with OSU, but we need to get serious about NIL if we are going to compete.

Give OSU (and programs like Alabama and Clemson) credit. They're not using NIL to buy recruits, but they're making sure that star players once in the program are getting handsomely paid. CJ Stroud was one of the biggest NIL gainers in the nation last year.

In that sense, it is a middle ground between the Texas A&Ms and Tennessees of the world on one hand, and programs doing nothing on the other.

Their pitch is, "we're not going to pay you to come here, but if you do come here and produce, you'll make some serious bank before we put you in the NFL to make even more serious bank".

We're not going to keep up with OSU, but we need to get serious about NIL if we are going to compete.
Perhaps there is a better way forward, an option that will actually improve the game by getting back to its roots? Athletically, we have more in common with Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State, West Virginia, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota and private schools such as Duke, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Northwestern and Boston College than we do with Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Texas. Perhaps it is time to embrace it. Eliminate scholarships and move to an Ivy League model. Less money overall but student and alumni interest overall can still drive a good product.

Perhaps there is a better way forward, an option that will actually improve the game by getting back to its roots? Athletically, we have more in common with Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State, West Virginia, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota and private schools such as Duke, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Northwestern and Boston College than we do with Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Texas. Perhaps it is time to embrace it. Eliminate scholarships and move to an Ivy League model. Less money overall but student and alumni interest overall can still drive a good product.
Schools like PSU might be better off with less money to waste on a lot of the garbage in which it is engaged now.

Hate to tell you this, but PSU is unlikely to compete then.
"Success with Honor" is at the core of every PSU football fan old enough to have "NIL money."
NIL, in practice, has legalized the seedy underbelly of major college sports, that Success with Honor rejected for decades.
I would be shocked to find sufficient PSU alumni willing to pay players $100K, let alone $500K, to play at PSU.

Reactions: ram2020
Our only hope is that the powers that be recognize this as unsustainable. I mean, even the "haves" know college football doesn't exist if there are only about 10-15 teams that could compete, right? The game cannot continue at this financial pace. There aren't too many people (fans) that think this is good for college football.

"Success with Honor" is at the core of every PSU football fan old enough to have "NIL money."
NIL, in practice, has legalized the seedy underbelly of major college sports, that Success with Honor rejected for decades.
I would be shocked to find sufficient PSU alumni willing to pay players $100K, let alone $500K, to play at PSU.
Agree

Our only hope is that the powers that be recognize this as unsustainable. I mean, even the "haves" know college football doesn't exist if there are only about 10-15 teams that could compete, right? The game cannot continue at this financial pace. There aren't too many people (fans) that think this is good for college football.
IMHO, there will be a realignment.
A P1 of 15-20 teams that think this is a good idea.
15-20 teams that fold or move to FCS
Everyone else to an FBS that is more like CFB from 30 yrs ago.

...or Major college sports dies and we get pro development leagues like we have in soccer and in basketball, the AAC becomes a massive Jr G-league development apparatus.

Reactions: Obliviax
IMHO, there will be a realignment.
A P1 of 15-20 teams that think this is a good idea.
15-20 teams that fold or move to FCS
Everyone else to an FBS that is more like CFB from 30 yrs ago.

...or Major college sports dies and we get pro development leagues like we have in soccer and in basketball, the AAC becomes a massive Jr G-league development apparatus.
You're probably right, but that P1 of 15-20 teams is uninteresting to me, unless the second tier continues to play the first tier.

You're probably right, but that P1 of 15-20 teams is uninteresting to me, unless the second tier continues to play the first tier.

Yeah......otherwise those programs in that second tier will not attract the recruits, the fanfare, or the interest that keeps them viable at a high level.

We may hate being in OSU's shadow, but playing the likes of BC, Rutgers, and Syracuse as our primary opponents will severely hurt this program. We need big time opponents.

I'd also argue that it's not a matter of 15-20 schools thinking it's a "good idea". Instead, it's schools that are accepting the new reality and are willing to adapt to the new situation. Aside from Texas A&M and perhaps a few others that have obnoxious amounts of money to spend and haven't been able to win without NIL, I don't think many programs think this is a "good idea". OSU and Bama certainly don't. But they will adapt, because winning at a high level is important to them.

I do suspect things will self-correct in a few years once some of these instant-millionaire recruits go bust and boosters/sponsors realize it's not worth spending huge money for recruits. Using NIL funds to poach via the transfer portal -- ala USC and Jordan Addison -- is the bigger threat, IMO.

Regardless of what is being paid, seems like there should be a $hit ton of advertising with each athetes name or image or likeness. So far….I’ve seen…..zero.

Regardless of what is being paid, seems like there should be a $hit ton of advertising with each athetes name or image or likeness. So far….I’ve seen…..zero.
Ohio State paying off and cheating? What else is new?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard the Penn State alumni NIL effort raised a couple hundred thousand dollars. That's what we are dealing with here.

I have no doubt that a $13 MM payroll is currently the going rate. But CFB is going to die very soon if those OSU payroll numbers persist.

If PSU has this large alumni base we always hear about, raising as much money as A&M should be fairly easy.

The real issue at PSU is the admin killed off interest in football and allowed the media to trample our self respect.

I cannot believe, were the program doing well, and we didn't just pay our marginal coach 10M per year, we would struggle at all to compete financially with OSU.

Our program, unfortunately, and our school has killed it's fans.

LdN

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
Ohio State paying off and cheating? What else is new?
Aside from the fact that what Ryan Day is describing is completely legal, what is NOT new is the same loser mentality that alleges that programs better than us cheat while poor old us plays by the rules and gets trampled.

There's absolutely no reason why a program like Penn State can't play in this NIL environment. We play in the 2nd largest stadium in the country, just paid James Franklin one of the biggest contracts in the country, have one of the largest alum bases in the country, are close to Philly, NYC, DC, and other major urban areas with large PSU alum bases, and have a long history of football success. If Tennessee can somehow muster up the resources to play this game, then so can we.

Or, alternatively, we continue to whine about OSU "cheating" because we can't beat them on the field.

It's never our fault. It's always because the other guys are cheating. Why else would Julian Fleming ever want to go to OSU over PSU, for example?

Aside from the fact that what Ryan Day is describing is completely legal, what is NOT new is the same loser mentality that alleges that programs better than us cheat while poor old us plays by the rules and gets trampled.

There's absolutely no reason why a program like Penn State can't play in this NIL environment. We play in the 2nd largest stadium in the country, just paid James Franklin one of the biggest contracts in the country, have one of the largest alum bases in the country, are close to Philly, NYC, DC, and other major urban areas with large PSU alum bases, and have a long history of football success. If Tennessee can somehow muster up the resources to play this game, then so can we.

Or, alternatively, we continue to whine about OSU "cheating" because we can't beat them on the field.

It's never our fault. It's always because the other guys are cheating. Why else would Julian Fleming ever want to go to OSU over PSU, for example?

Well said. Fact is OSU should not be able to compete with PSU on money.

But they do. And beat us soundly.

LdN

Yeah......otherwise those programs in that second tier will not attract the recruits, the fanfare, or the interest that keeps them viable at a high level.

We may hate being in OSU's shadow, but playing the likes of BC, Rutgers, and Syracuse as our primary opponents will severely hurt this program. We need big time opponents.

I'd also argue that it's not a matter of 15-20 schools thinking it's a "good idea". Instead, it's schools that are accepting the new reality and are willing to adapt to the new situation. Aside from Texas A&M and perhaps a few others that have obnoxious amounts of money to spend and haven't been able to win without NIL, I don't think many programs think this is a "good idea". OSU and Bama certainly don't. But they will adapt, because winning at a high level is important to them.

I do suspect things will self-correct in a few years once some of these instant-millionaire recruits go bust and boosters/sponsors realize it's not worth spending huge money for recruits. Using NIL funds to poach via the transfer portal -- ala USC and Jordan Addison -- is the bigger threat, IMO.
Alabama and Ohio St don't think it's a good idea because they enjoyed paying lesser amounts against the rules via bagmen. Now they have to compete when it's legal to do so and they lost some of the competitive advantage of being willing to cheat more blatantly than others.

Last edited:

I think the only reason that posters implied that Ohio St cheats is because they have repeatedly and blatantly, having been caught paying players probably at least a dozen times and that's just since 2000.

The circle of NIL, Bowls, Conference Championships, Leagues, Portal, Divisions, Rivalries, Recruiting Signing Laws and the NFL is a circle that can's survive. You just can't have it all.

If we don't keep up with the arms race then so be it. Separate out the football factories/pro programs like O,$U, Bama. Clemson, Okie, LSU, Texas etc where they want to dump a ton of money into paying their football players. We can drop to the next tier and have a bunch of NIL money go elsewhere to support the university. Instead of paying some QB $500K have some of that money go to the Engineering school for example.

There will be suffering by die hard fans like us who want to win nattys but in the long run we can go compete with programs on an equal level and over time the football will be exciting just not at the highest level. I think JoePa would endorse this strategy. He never envisioned a football factory rather a program that molded men and built leaders who were ready to be successful in life.

Well said. Fact is OSU should not be able to compete with PSU on money.

But they do. And beat us soundly.

LdN
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. OSU unfortunately has access to far more corporate and business dollars than PSU. Also PAs laws regarding NIL are far more restrictive.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. OSU unfortunately has access to far more corporate and business dollars than PSU. Also PAs laws regarding NIL are far more restrictive.
In regards to your first point.. how so?

Your second... Pa NIL laws are rather favorable to student athletes. The only real restriction is that the pay out has to be market value, which is impossible at this point to calculate.

There will be suffering by die hard fans like us who want to win nattys but in the long run we can go compete with programs on an equal level and over time the football will be exciting just not at the highest level. I think JoePa would endorse this strategy. He never envisioned a football factory rather a program that molded men and built leaders who were ready to be successful in life.

I think there are a lot more schools that endorse this approach than people think. The majority of the Big Ten, ACC, Big XII and Pac-Ten will break away at some point rather than continue down this path.

I call BS!

No one, short of Phil Knight at U of O can sustain $13 mil year after year after year. The pendulum swings and it is waaay to early to say NIL in 2022 will be the same 5 years from now. Just watch what the coming recession will do to NIL. It will splash a cold dose of reality over this whole craziness quicker than the ice bucket challenge.

PS - PSU has one of the best recruiting classes in the nation as we speak.

Until proven otherwise, I think we will see a few egregious examples here and there but far from a prerequisite to compete in the top 20.

$13 million ain’t gonna cut it on college football these days. If teams are going to win it all you better have $30 million plus.

Does the 13 million include money for some of the corrupt BIG officials that have done our OSU games in the past or does that come out of another account?

Reactions: bison13
In regards to your first point.. how so?

Your second... Pa NIL laws are rather favorable to student athletes. The only real restriction is that the pay out has to be market value, which is impossible at this point to calculate.
I answered the first point in the second sentence. You are totally wrong on NIL law in Pa. It is the most restrictive in the country. For example, Day was speaking to a group about nil representing OSU. That is not allowed in Pa. Franklin can’t do that. There is an arms length requirement. It gets worse from there.

I answered the first point in the second sentence. You are totally wrong on NIL law in Pa. It is the most restrictive in the country. For example, Day was speaking to a group about nil representing OSU. That is not allowed in Pa. Franklin can’t do that. There is an arms length requirement. It gets worse from there.
This is actually a good law. Instead of lowering standards, we should be raising them.

If PSU has this large alumni base we always hear about, raising as much money as A&M should be fairly easy.

The real issue at PSU is the admin killed off interest in football and allowed the media to trample our self respect.

I cannot believe, were the program doing well, and we didn't just pay our marginal coach 10M per year, we would struggle at all to compete financially with OSU.

Our program, unfortunately, and our school has killed it's fans.

LdN

Here is a question I don't understand. Why would I donate $5K or $20K to pay Drew Allar or Curtis Jacobs or Langdown Tengwell to play football at PSU?

I could take that money and use it to take my family on a really nice vacation, use it to pay for my own kids college so they don't have to take on debt, use it to buy my kid a car so they have a better life in high school, use it to help furnish my first kid's apartment when they get out of college so they can live nicer, ....i can literally think of 1000 things I would rather do with my money then pay an 18-21 year old kid to play football at PSU. That has zero priority in my life when it comes to what I want to spend my money for.

Here is a question I don't understand. Why would I donate $5K or $20K to pay Drew Allar or Curtis Jacobs or Langdown Tengwell to play football at PSU?

I could take that money and use it to take my family on a really nice vacation, use it to pay for my own kids college so they don't have to take on debt, use it to buy my kid a car so they have a better life in high school, use it to help furnish my first kid's apartment when they get out of college so they can live nicer, ....i can literally think of 1000 things I would rather do with my money then pay an 18-21 year old kid to play football at PSU. That has zero priority in my life when it comes to what I want to spend my money for.

Well I guess ask the current NLC donors that question.

We don't pay coqch 10M a year from tuition.

Well I guess ask the current NLC donors that question.

We don't pay coqch 10M a year from tuition.
We didn’t get a vote on that contract. NIL is a different story and if I had a business where it might benefit the bottom line to pay a kid to be a spokesperson or use his/her image….I would consider it.

But right now it all just appears to be “here is some cash” and a pay for play scenario. Under that consideration, I would enjoy the vacations the poster mentioned instead.

ADVERTISEMENT