ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State away game advice

psbc19

Jul 26, 2007
Charlestown, MA
I just got notified that my away game application for OSU tickets went through. Now I am planning my visit. Just got a hotel room at the Hampton Inn University area that is about 2 miles from the stadium. Rates weren't that bad suprisingly (~$200/nt before taxes and B.S. and free parking). Thoughts on this location?

More importantly...where do I park for tailgating and how do I get a pass? It seems like there's a lot of day-of game parking. If I get up early, is this a good option? It's hard to find information about this on OSU's athletics website, and I don't want to trust old maps given the recent major changes at PSU.

Thank you!

I just got notified that my away game application for OSU tickets went through. Now I am planning my visit. Just got a hotel room at the Hampton Inn University area that is about 2 miles from the stadium. Rates weren't that bad suprisingly (~$200/nt before taxes and B.S. and free parking). Thoughts on this location?

More importantly...where do I park for tailgating and how do I get a pass? It seems like there's a lot of day-of game parking. If I get up early, is this a good option? It's hard to find information about this on OSU's athletics website, and I don't want to trust old maps given the recent major changes at PSU.

Thank you!
It's actually walkable. Almost no point in parking closer. But the lots at either CAS or the Fawcett Center are close and there is tailgating there. I think there's some restrictions at CAS like no open fires. The local Alumni Club usually tailgates at the Fawcett Center, and often the official Alumni Assn tailgate is there as well. Easier out (right turn) back to your hotel.

Park early, though. Those lots fill up.

It's actually walkable. Almost no point in parking closer. But the lots at either CAS or the Fawcett Center are close and there is tailgating there. I think there's some restrictions at CAS like no open fires. The local Alumni Club usually tailgates at the Fawcett Center, and often the official Alumni Assn tailgate is there as well. Easier out (right turn) back to your hotel.

Park early, though. Those lots fill up.
Thanks for the feedback...and those lots you mention...are they open to the public on game-day, or will I need a pass in advance?

Thank you!
Bring body armor and ear coverings to prepare you for the assaults by some of their crazy fans. LOL

Bring body armor and ear coverings to prepare you for the assaults by some of their crazy fans. LOL
In all seriousness, like PSU, they have a great gameday atmosphere in and around Ohio Stadium. Not sure if they will reinstitute "skull session". It is worth attending prior to the game. Giant OSU pep rally, but visiting band also always plays. Venue used to be St. John's Arena last time I attended many years ago. Not sure if it has moved to Schotenstein Arena or will remain @ St. Johns?

Reactions: john4psu
Grab a case of your favorite light beer or white Claw and stand on any corner near the stadium and drink continuously until you piss your pants. It’s what the locals do and you don’t want to miss out. Other than that, the average Ohio State fan pretty much sucks at anything else pre game.

• Haha
Reactions: CbusLion10
Thanks for the feedback...and those lots you mention...are they open to the public on game-day, or will I need a pass in advance?
As I recall, public. The CAS lots certainly are as they are not controlled by tOSU. But get there early.

Reactions: psbc19
I went to the 2002 game there w a colleague who is a local and OSU alum. This is bar far my favorite away from PSU experience. I was with 4 women and they took me to the Hineygate party area. It required an admission fee/wrist band and you had to buy your food/ bevs inside. IT WAS AMAZING. There was a jam band playing on the roof of the carport of the hotel there. Every time they played Hang On Sloopy... Which was a LOT...many of the young ladies pulled up their shirts and flashed (none in my more mature crew). I called up every PSU buddy and spread the word. Still have the wristband. It was like Bourbon Street. It is walkable from the stadium. Hopefully that's still around...a Mecca of sorts that I hope to see again! Chris Gamble picked off Zack Mills 2 or 3 times and we lost a winnable game. Otherwise a wonderful experience (pre Sandusky though). Enjoy!

Hineygate was on Lane Ave north of the stadium. I haven’t walked by there the last couple of times we played in cbus. I thought it was no more. But not 100% sure.

I went to the 2002 game there w a colleague who is a local and OSU alum. This is bar far my favorite away from PSU experience. I was with 4 women and they took me to the Hineygate party area. It required an admission fee/wrist band and you had to buy your food/ bevs inside. IT WAS AMAZING. There was a jam band playing on the roof of the carport of the hotel there. Every time they played Hang On Sloopy... Which was a LOT...many of the young ladies pulled up their shirts and flashed (none in my more mature crew). I called up every PSU buddy and spread the word. Still have the wristband. It was like Bourbon Street. It is walkable from the stadium. Hopefully that's still around...a Mecca of sorts that I hope to see again! Chris Gamble picked off Zack Mills 2 or 3 times and we lost a winnable game. Otherwise a wonderful experience (pre Sandusky though). Enjoy!
Was Hineygate held at the Varsity Club on Lane?

Was Hineygate held at the Varsity Club on Lane?
No idea of geography...but there was a strip of restaurants and bars that was blockaded so people could walk in the street and then around the hotel and its parking area was a chain link temporary fenced off area that was Hineygate. We walked from our parking spot in the shadow of the Horsehoe. I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a stretch of fun spots from College Ave so close to the Stadium.

No idea of geography...but there was a strip of restaurants and bars that was blockaded so people could walk in the street and then around the hotel and its parking area was a chain link temporary fenced off area that was Hineygate. We walked from our parking spot in the shadow of the Horsehoe. I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a stretch of fun spots from College Ave so close to the Stadium.
That was it. I was there in 2011 and I’m 2019, so I’m assuming it is still alive and well.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Hineygate was something WTVN radio did--at the old Holiday Inn on the Lane (which was actually the first place I ever stayed in Columbus--when I too a grad school tour in 1977). tOSU admins did not like this party. Eventually they purchased the hotel and converted it into a dorm. There's a replacement on Lane from another source.

I would walk from your hotel. I have stayed on olentangy river road ever time I have gone and walked. It’s a straight shot, plus will save you tons of time leaving after game. Inquire if your hotel has a shuttle as well. I stay at one of the marriotts close to your hotel. This year staying at Spring HillSuites. .

blackwell hotel is next to the shoe. Their version of Nittany Lion Inn.. More of refined crowd. They have a few drink stations set up in Lobby. Varsity club is a fun time. It’s on Lane Avenue. like others said, The hiney gate setup is cool.

really like the Short North District in Columbus. Usually head there on Friday Night. Hyde park steakhouse is excellent. Also, I recommend the Pearl. Really neat roof top bar , forget the name.

German district is a fun place. Thurmans Cafe is an iconic burger place. If you get a chance, go there. Schmidts is the big German place.

eddie georges restaurant is pretty good. Not far from stadium. Believe in an area called grand view. Hofbrau Haus is over that way. Neat German beer hall.

columbus is a huge city so there are so many areas of city you can hit. I have been there every time we have played since we joined Big 10 and have not had any issues, but it’s gives more off a pro crowd feel.

BTW, the local alumni club usually hosts a pep rally the night before at Quaker Steak and Lube in the Polaris area. Lion, some cheerleaders, and a pep band usually show up.

ADVERTISEMENT