ADVERTISEMENT

OH NO!!! Not Charlie Rose too

I wonder what the board thinks of Congressmen using taxpayer money to settle harassment claims? I also didn't know that they exempted themselves from the freedom of information act.

THIS ^^^^ is my takeaway from the John Conyers fiasco. It's still early, but it appears to me that Conyers is hiding behind the confidentiality agreement his accuser signed when her claim was settled. It's easy for him to "vigorously deny" her claims and insist he settled "only to avoid the rigors of protracted litigation" given he no doubt believes that the actual facts will never see the light of day.

Consider a few notable features of the current system, in which a Congressional "Compliance Office" attempts to mediate and resolve these sex harassment claims:

1. The Complainant is typically a subordinate of the alleged harasser, who is often a Congressman or Senator.

2. The alleged harasser is entitled to have his attorneys' fees paid by the taxpayers, but the complainant must shoulder her own attorneys' fees.

3. There is no procedure for isolating the complainant from the alleged harasser during the pendency of the complaint, which means she must typically continue to work for the alleged harasser, who is now pissed off.

4. Any funds paid to settle such claims come from the public fisc, not the alleged harasser personally.

5. The settlement invariably involves the complainant signing a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement, meaning that the sorry details of the alleged harassment are unlikely to see the light of day.

It taxes credulity beyond any reasonable bounds to think that Conyers is the only Congressman or Senator to have settled sex harassment claims using this absurd procedure. I believe his case is just the first of many similar cases to come. I hope they clean this mess up, and clean House. Literally..

Last edited:
THIS ^^^^ is my takeaway from the John Conyers fiasco. It's still early, but it appears to me that Conyers is hiding behind the confidentiality agreement his accuser signed when her claim was settled. It's easy for him to "vigorously deny" her claims and insist he settled "only to avoid the rigors of protracted litigation" given he no doubt believes that the actual facts will never see the light of day.

Consider a few notable features of the current system, in which a Congressional "Compliance Office" attempts to mediate and resolve these sex harassment claims:

1. The Complainant is typically a subordinate of the alleged harasser, who is often a Congressman or Senator.

2. The alleged harasser is entitled to have his attorneys' fees paid by the taxpayers, but the complainant must shoulder her own attorneys' fees.

3. There is no procedure for isolating the complainant from the alleged harasser during the pendency of the complaint, which means she must typically continue to work for the alleged harasser, who is now pissed off.

4. Any funds paid to settle such claims come from the public fisc, not the alleged harasser personally.

5. The settlement invariably involves the complainant signing a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement, meaning that the sorry details of the alleged harassment are unlikely to see the light of day.

It taxes credulity beyond any reasonable bounds to think that Conyers is the only Congressman or Senator to have settled sex harassment claims using this absurd procedure. I believe his case is just the first of many similar cases to come. I hope they clean this mess up, and clean House. Literally..

Clean House....and the Senate! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Nitt1300
Illinois: Caught some of the National Dog Show (televised from Philadelphia) last Saturday. Thought of you when it came on. Can't recall where the Basset placed.

Bassets seldom Win, Place or Show in the big events.....but they usually seem to be favorites with the crowd. Every time I watch one of these shows they keep coming up with a new breed or two that I’ve never seen before!

We moved from PA to CA when I was 9, part of the “deal” with Mom and Dad was we would get a puppy. A few months in an apt in San Mateo, then 3-4 years in Terra Linda as it was being built from scratch.

Anyway, went out puppy looking, the last had just been sold, but the lady referred us back to her daughter. Her husband was stationed at Hamilton AFB and they were just getting transferred to Germany, so we got the puppy the family had picked out for themselves a blond little cocker spaniel boy we creatively named Buffy. A great dog, was fortunately at KU about 10 years later when my Dad had to put him down. I think it was the only time in my life I heard my Dad cry when he called me and told me the devastating news.

Skip about 20 years, at that point married about 5, we decide to get a dog. I wanted a cocker, the wife a wiener-dog, no compromise here. We both liked beagles, but I worked for MetLife, so we’d have to kill the dog if I left their employ. So no beagle.

We both liked bassets from Fred (comics), Fred (in the truck in the Burt Reynolds / Sally Field movies), Columbo, etc. So we searched and found a puppy in W. Lafayette, named him Butler.

Five years later, we got divorced. The now -ex got legal custody, I got legal visitation. So he came to visit every other week for about five years.

(ALMOST DONE.....SORRY ABOUT THIS!)

So ANYWAY became very involved helping Guardian Angel Basset Rescue (GABR) and got a puppy from them in 2001 (Bailey) and another in 2015 (Fonzie) after I had to put Bailey down on Valentine’s Day, 2015.

(WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH INFO HERE!)

BUT TO WRAP THIS UP:

FONZIE’S BARKING FOR BARKLEY !

LB - HAPPY T-DAY to you and your family!

Reactions: LafayetteBear
ADVERTISEMENT