ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason/Summer Stories and Updates

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...t-spring-power-rankings-buckeyes-loaded-again

The “way-too-early” power rankings are starting to approach the territory of just “too early” now that a full season of Big Ten spring football is in the books and the 2017 version of the conference has started to take shape. Fifteen spring practices didn’t provide any major shake-ups in the league, but they did offer a window into how most programs are evolving and which new faces will be the ones to watch in the fall.

With that in mind, it’s time to provide an update to the Big Ten power rankings as teams start to look ahead toward summer.

1. Ohio State: From a talent and depth standpoint, no one in the Big Ten has a better chance to play for a national championship in 2017 than the Buckeyes. Their defensive front promises to be one of the toughest in the nation. Their offense, now under the direction of Kevin Wilson, will try to push the ball downfield more often. If the younger receivers are ready by September, this team won’t have many weaknesses.

2. Penn State: The defending conference champs still boast the best backfield in the league with quarterback Trace McSorley and running back Saquon Barkley. The Nittany Lions should have one of the most entertaining offenses in the country. The defensive depth and size is still building in James Franklin’s fourth season in Happy Valley, so his team may need to win some shootouts to hang with their toughest competition.

3. Michigan: The Wolverines piled up as many reps as possible in spring practice to try to get a young team -- especially on defense -- a bit more time on task. Jim Harbaugh’s enthusiasm (most recently manifested in a trip to Rome) has helped bring in prospects that can physically match any team in the Big Ten. They won’t be able to move past the slightly more proven teams on this list until all that youth shows what it’s capable of doing in a game.

You can't argue Ohio State and Meyer's track record, ability to reload, and recruiting prowess. But sitting here in the offseason....I'd take McSorley (B1G leader in passing efficiency) over Barrett. I'd take Barkley (best RB in the nation) over Weber, easy. I'd take our wide receivers (Hamilton, Blacknall, Thompkins, Johnson, Polk, etc) easy over the Ohio State wide receivers. Their leading returning WR had 18 catches last year, I believe. I'd take Gesicki (674 receiving yards last year) over any Ohio State tight end. A neutral party would probably call the offensive lines a push, but their offensive line struggled against top competition last year (gave up 6 sacks against us) and we have potentially the most talented, deep, and experienced offensive line we've had in 10 years. Mahon was PFF OT of the week two weeks, McGovern won B1G Frosh of the week (only 3rd OL to ever win), Bates was a USA Today Frosh All American.

The game is in the Shoe, but don't sleep on this squad giving them all they can handle.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...t-spring-power-rankings-buckeyes-loaded-again

The “way-too-early” power rankings are starting to approach the territory of just “too early” now that a full season of Big Ten spring football is in the books and the 2017 version of the conference has started to take shape. Fifteen spring practices didn’t provide any major shake-ups in the league, but they did offer a window into how most programs are evolving and which new faces will be the ones to watch in the fall.

With that in mind, it’s time to provide an update to the Big Ten power rankings as teams start to look ahead toward summer.

1. Ohio State: From a talent and depth standpoint, no one in the Big Ten has a better chance to play for a national championship in 2017 than the Buckeyes. Their defensive front promises to be one of the toughest in the nation. Their offense, now under the direction of Kevin Wilson, will try to push the ball downfield more often. If the younger receivers are ready by September, this team won’t have many weaknesses.

2. Penn State: The defending conference champs still boast the best backfield in the league with quarterback Trace McSorley and running back Saquon Barkley. The Nittany Lions should have one of the most entertaining offenses in the country. The defensive depth and size is still building in James Franklin’s fourth season in Happy Valley, so his team may need to win some shootouts to hang with their toughest competition.

3. Michigan: The Wolverines piled up as many reps as possible in spring practice to try to get a young team -- especially on defense -- a bit more time on task. Jim Harbaugh’s enthusiasm (most recently manifested in a trip to Rome) has helped bring in prospects that can physically match any team in the Big Ten. They won’t be able to move past the slightly more proven teams on this list until all that youth shows what it’s capable of doing in a game.

Thanks....as someone living in Ohio and watching them very closely, my observations:
  • WRs are suspect, at best.
  • Even if they can get open, Barrett hasn't been the world's most accurate passer.
  • They also graduated Curtis Samuel, probably their best receiver who often lined up at RB.
  • They graduated three of their four DB's (all drafted). While they should have a strong front seven, their DB will be suspect.
Of course, the good news is that tOSU's recruiting has been phenomenal and they've got a lot of good, you and untested talent waiting in the wings.

I don't believe they lost any DL, but they did lose Raekwon Mcmillan who could be hard to replace at LB. It's not just about natural ability at that position, also about experience and instincts.

And of course even with their talent it is not small feat to replace 3 1st round talents in the secondary simultaneously.

Thanks....as someone living in Ohio and watching them very closely, my observations:
  • WRs are suspect, at best.
  • Even if they can get open, Barrett hasn't been the world's most accurate passer.
  • They also graduated Curtis Samuel, probably their best receiver who often lined up at RB.
  • They graduated three of their four DB's (all drafted). While they should have a strong front seven, their DB will be suspect.
Of course, the good news is that tOSU's recruiting has been phenomenal and they've got a lot of good, you and untested talent waiting in the wings.

They have a track record of success in replacing top talent with other top talent. But it isn't an automatic that the untested replacement is going to be as good as the guy they are replacing every year. We'll have to see. Fans of other programs love to talk about McSorley's "arm punts", if it is so easy to complete passes down the field why couldn't Barrett do it? Good point about Samuel. I've heard all about Godwin leaving, but Samuel was much more important to their offense than Godwin was to ours.

Anyway, it will all play out, but nationally, pundits and fans are acting like we have no shot to go into Columbus and beat them. We've done it before. I was there for that game against Pryor his freshman year.

They have a track record of success in replacing top talent with other top talent. But it isn't an automatic that the untested replacement is going to be as good as the guy they are replacing every year. We'll have to see. Fans of other programs love to talk about McSorley's "arm punts", if it is so easy to complete passes down the field why couldn't Barrett do it? Good point about Samuel. I've heard all about Godwin leaving, but Samuel was much more important to their offense than Godwin was to ours.

Anyway, it will all play out, but nationally, pundits and fans are acting like we have no shot to go into Columbus and beat them. We've done it before. I was there for that game against Pryor his freshman year.

Agree...that is to say that tOSU will be good, probably the B1G favorite, but is vulnerable. Even if the young kids are great, they often make mistakes.

Reactions: Bob78
You can't argue Ohio State and Meyer's track record, ability to reload, and recruiting prowess. But sitting here in the offseason....I'd take McSorley (B1G leader in passing efficiency) over Barrett. I'd take Barkley (best RB in the nation) over Weber, easy. I'd take our wide receivers (Hamilton, Blacknall, Thompkins, Johnson, Polk, etc) easy over the Ohio State wide receivers. Their leading returning WR had 18 catches last year, I believe. I'd take Gesicki (674 receiving yards last year) over any Ohio State tight end. A neutral party would probably call the offensive lines a push, but their offensive line struggled against top competition last year (gave up 6 sacks against us) and we have potentially the most talented, deep, and experienced offensive line we've had in 10 years. Mahon was PFF OT of the week two weeks, McGovern won B1G Frosh of the week (only 3rd OL to ever win), Bates was a USA Today Frosh All American.

The game is in the Shoe, but don't sleep on this squad giving them all they can handle.

Will be hostile for sure. The best way to take the crowd away and make it a 4th quarter game is to have the running game working. Big plays are great but nothing deflates the room faster than a 12 play drive with 10 runs. Have to play clean, win the TO battle, and maybe get one big special teams play. Would love to see a 4th quarter game since our O talent has better chance of making a back breaking play.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

All true in terms of the offense. However, the writer makes a fair point in comparison of the two defensive units going into the season. The loss of Reid hurts, and we have quite a few unproven front seven players.

All true in terms of the offense. However, the writer makes a fair point in comparison of the two defensive units going into the season. The loss of Reid hurts, and we have quite a few unproven front seven players.

Brown and Miller weren't starters last year, but they played a great deal. You go and watch the replay of the Ohio State game, and Shareef Miller is in there in the 4th quarter putting pressure on Barrett. Our defensive tackles all return. Koa Framer didn't start, but was in on most passing downs, had a bunch of sacks. So those guys haven't started before, but I don't know if I would call them "unproven". Of course, Bowen and Cabinda return at LB.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

The offense should help compliment the defense in Columbus this year. Too many times in the past, our starting D was only able to hang with the Buckeyes until mid-way through the 3rd quarter before they finally broke down because our offense couldn't sustain any drives. By then, the Buckeyes would break the game wide open.

I think the keys will be our o-line holding its own against the Buckeye's d-line, allowing McSorley/Barkley to sustain a rhythm. We don't need to score over 30 points and history shows we won't.

The other key is that we are healthy on defense. I think our starting defense can go toe to toe, but our 2nd team front seven is still a weak spot relative to the Buckeyes depth. If we go into Columbus at full strength then we can definitely pull off the upset and win an O/U game in the low 40s.

A lot also depends on how well Barrett adapts to Wilsons offense. He doesnt seem to do as well throwing the ball in tough situations and will he use his running ability as an option.

A lot also depends on how well Barrett adapts to Wilsons offense. He doesnt seem to do as well throwing the ball in tough situations and will he use his running ability as an option.

I think has been overblown. They are still running Meyer's offense.

http://thelantern.com/2017/03/ohio-state-football-kevin-wilson-offense-urban-meyer-jt-barrett/

Football: Kevin Wilson not changing Ohio State’s offense, but integrating offensive style

Though Wilson will be coming into a school that has featured more of a running offense than passing, he said he’s not going to come into OSU and make tremendous changes in the way the team goes about putting points on the board. “I have core values in offensive football, the parallel — almost exactly word-for-word verbatim to what coach (Urban) Meyer believes,” Wilson said. “So the first adjustment is not an adjustment because we’re on the same page as far as how you want to run the offense. Maybe the language is different, maybe things you emphasize as I continue to learn and grow that, in time, maybe we enhance.”

Barrett said he believes that while Wilson will come in with his own vision of how to run an offense, his ideas will be incorporated into their offensive plans rather than completely reshape them.

“He’s done a lot of great things in his past where it’s been Oklahoma or Indiana,” he said. “We’re not really changing a lot, but he’s bringing in some good ideas that we’re incorporating in."

Reactions: doublehaul
I'd be shocked if the B1G "championship" game isn't played in Columbus the last weekend in October.... Saturday night. It will be the most watched College football game in 2017. Winner will be #1 in the country. O$U must get by Oklahoma in Sept and PSU must get by Michigan to set-up a real barn burner. Could be #1 vs. #2.

I don't think there is a team in the country that is going to be able to match our offense's capabilities this year. Yeah we lost Godwin, but he was just 1 cog in the wheel - heck he was overshadowed by Blacknall in The Big, and if Blacknall hadn't been suspended for The Rose, there's no guarantee Godwin gets the touches he did get (and that is why he left early, IMHO).

I feel our D is going to fair just as well as tO$U this year. ALL of the DLs received a ton of PT last year (the backups not as much, but with the way Pry rotates DL/DE they will get plenty very quickly). Reid is a loss in the secondary, but from we saw in the BW game the young guns are stepping up!

Reactions: BoulderFish
After seeing that article Judge, I think overblown is appropriate. In theback of my mind I couldnt see UM just turning over the reins to a new guy.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I'd be shocked if the B1G "championship" game isn't played in Columbus the last weekend in October.... Saturday night. It will be the most watched College football game in 2017. Winner will be #1 in the country. O$U must get by Oklahoma in Sept and PSU must get by Michigan to set-up a real barn burner. Could be #1 vs. #2.
Back in the mid/late 1990s, seemed like there was this pattern developing for early season showdowns between Top 10 PSU vs Top 10 OSU. Now that we're playing a 9-game B1G schedule, would be cool to make OSU our permanent Big Ten opener with Michigan locked in at the halfway point (5th game) and MSU as our season finale after OSU and UM play.

B1G Week 1: PSU vs OSU, UM vs MSU
B1G Week 5: PSU vs UM, OSU vs MSU
B1G Week 9: PSU vs MSU, OSU vs UM

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199 and BrianS

James Franklin Q&A: 'We feel like the line is a strength for us'
By Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, 1 hour ago

It took James Franklin just three years to deliver a Big Ten championship to Penn State. Now, can he repeat? Possibly, as most of the key cogs from last season are back led by QB Trace McSorley and RB Saquon Barkley on offense, along with an improving line.

Retaining rising star coordinator Joe Moorhead was big, too, as some schools sniffed around the hot commodity. The defense should continue to improve for one of the most exciting and upwardly mobile programs in America.

I caught up with Franklin at the conclusion of spring drills.

Q: What were you pleased about in spring ball?
A: Trying to figure out how we were going to replace Chris Godwin. Juwan Johnson really stepped up for us there (at receiver). He had a really good spring. We always knew he was talented, but he took the next step. We feel good there. We were able to create more depth at tight end. We know what we have in Mike Gesicki. John Holland really stepped up. He took a bunch of reps and really improved. We feel good there. We were able to figure out what these mid-semester guys could do. (Five-star DB) Lamont Wade had a strong spring for us. He made a bunch of plays for us. (Three-star OL) Mike Miranda was the surprise of the spring. You never know what you’ll get from offensive linemen. But he battled and took some reps with the first unit and did well.

Q: The offense made big strides last year (ranking No. 3 in the Big Ten in scoring, 37.6 ppg, and No. 2 overall, 432.6 ypg). What’s the next evolution of the attack?
A: You always are adding and tweaking. There will be no dramatic changes, but we will look for things that complement what you are doing. We always base stuff on the line. And we looked at what we could add that wouldn’t create any added challenges or issues for the line. We feel like we have done that. The biggest difference is that for the first time since I have been here, we feel like the line is a strength for us. And that’s scary when you think of what Saquon Barkley has been able to do with a still evolving line (2,572 yards rushing in two seasons). When I got here, I think we had just seven scholarship offensive linemen. We had to add two d-linemen to get to nine. This is the first year we feel like that unit can be a strength for us.

Q: You inherited a program in 2014 still recovering from NCAA sanctions and you went 14-12 overall and 6-10 in the Big Ten your first two seasons. But last year, you forged an 11-3 mark with an 8-1 Big Ten record, league title and Rose Bowl bid. Are you ahead of schedule?
A: We handed out the (Big Ten championship) rings at the spring game. And we aren’t talking about that ever again. That is in the past for us. We are focused on this season and building this thing. Timelines are for other people to determine. We are just focused on doing what we can to get ready for 2017 as if 2016 never happened. We still want to be a hungry, blue-collar team and detail-oriented team that we have been in the past. Don’t get me wrong, we want to use those experiences from last year and grow from them. But it’s time to move on because it doesn’t matter anymore.

Q: How will Penn State deal with now being the hunted?
A: It is magnified in general just because of our program, especially our division. When you are competing with Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, it magnifies it. Our rankings probably will be different this preseason than last year. But preseason rankings don’t mean a thing. It probably changes how people view us. No doubt about that. But you don’t want your approach or preparation to change based on who you are playing. But I do understand it in how people will perceive and approach us.

Q: How do you feel about the early signing period?
A: I get it. But I worry that there may be a lot of unforeseen consequences that come with these things. People may consider me a young coach, but I kind of have an old-school mentality. I like the system we had. I did think there was a place for early visits. People didn’t want to add an early-signing period without early visits. I get it. But I worry about the unforeseen consequences of the decisions we are making.

Penn State is #5 in ESPN's Post Spring Top 25 Ranking...

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...place-alabama-crimson-tide-post-spring-top-25

5. Penn State
i

2016 record: 11-3, 8-1 Big Ten
Last Way-Too-Early ranking: 5
Returning starters: 9 offense, 7 defense, 2 special teams

Key losses: C Brian Gaia, WR Chris Godwin, DE Evan Schwan, LB Brandon Bell, SS Malik Golden, OT Paris Palmer, DE Garrett Sickels

Outlook: After breaking through under coach James Franklin last season, the Nittany Lions will try to stay neck-and-neck with Michigan and Ohio State in the Big Ten. Penn State went into spring practice needing to find big-play receivers and pass rushers. Juwan Johnson and DeAndre Thompkins seem capable of helping replace Chris Godwin's production on offense, and end Shareef Miller and linebacker Jarvis Miller look like guys who can get to the quarterback. As long as quarterback Trace McSorley and tailback Saquon Barkley stay healthy, the Nittany Lions should be a CFP contender for the second straight season.

PSU should certainly have a shot but winning in Columbus is much more difficult than winning in Beaver Stadium in front of a White-Out crowd.

I agree that McSorley & Barkley are better than Barrett & Weber. Our WRs might be better too. The problem is when we compare defenses. PSU was already a bit thin after losing Bell, Schwan, Sickels, & Golden. Now we've lost Reid for the season.

I'd rather takem' one game at a time.:)

Reactions: step.eng69
Penn State is #5 in ESPN's Post Spring Top 25 Ranking...

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...place-alabama-crimson-tide-post-spring-top-25

5. Penn State
i

2016 record: 11-3, 8-1 Big Ten
Last Way-Too-Early ranking: 5
Returning starters: 9 offense, 7 defense, 2 special teams

Key losses: C Brian Gaia, WR Chris Godwin, DE Evan Schwan, LB Brandon Bell, SS Malik Golden, OT Paris Palmer, DE Garrett Sickels

Outlook: After breaking through under coach James Franklin last season, the Nittany Lions will try to stay neck-and-neck with Michigan and Ohio State in the Big Ten. Penn State went into spring practice needing to find big-play receivers and pass rushers. Juwan Johnson and DeAndre Thompkins seem capable of helping replace Chris Godwin's production on offense, and end Shareef Miller and linebacker Jarvis Miller look like guys who can get to the quarterback. As long as quarterback Trace McSorley and tailback Saquon Barkley stay healthy, the Nittany Lions should be a CFP contender for the second straight season.
Apparently everyone is still trying to "catch" Michigan. Back to back third place finishes in the division, yet everyone is trying to catch them.

Loooooooong way till September.

Reactions: step.eng69
After seeing that article Judge, I think overblown is appropriate. In theback of my mind I couldnt see UM just turning over the reins to a new guy.

The more I read, the more I think bringing in Wilson was a PR move.

With the way the OSU passing game closed out last season -- 337 total yards over the final three games, Meyer had to make a move, and the offense will be the better for it. It's not just an automatic happening, however.

"To sit here and say we’ve got a lot of answers, we don’t," Wilson said. "Our thing is to take what’s been the best offense in college football, bring in -- I’m really just observing to see how we do things, and like Coach said it to me from the start, this is the Ohio State offense and how can we make it better? We don’t make it better with change. Change is change."

So how do you fix something without changing it?

"It’s the ability as me as the leader of the coaches to get those guys on the same page, take it to the players and get those guys on the same page playing as a unit," Wilson explained.

Penn State ranked #6 in this preseason poll by The Sporting News...

mc-matt-millen-on-penn-state-s-saquon-barkley-he-s-better-than-last-year-20161004

6. Penn State Nittany Lions
James Franklin is trying to temper bubbling expectations around the defending Big Ten champions, but that won't be easy. Offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead's scheme fits. a 40-points-per-game-type profile with two Heisman Trophy contenders in quarterback Trace McSorley and running back Saquon Barkley. The emergence of 6-foot-4 receiver Juwan Johnson this spring is an added bonus. Cornerback John Reid’s knee injury was the only serious blow in the spring.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...michigan-ohio-state/psln63tvfekn1qoi05ayqy1j9

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Fox Sports has PSU ranked #4 in its preseason poll

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...t-spring-alabama-ohio-state-usc-mandel-050217

Trace-McSorley-Penn-State-Minnesota-Justin-Berl-Getty-Images_pvwpc0.jpg

Penn State

The defending Big Ten champs morphed into an offensive juggernaut by season’s end. They bring back QB Trace McSorley, RB Saquon Barkley and all but one O-line starter. Deep threat Chris Godwin is gone, but 6-4 Juwan Johnson showed breakout potential this spring. Penn State definitely needs to show improvement on defense. S Marcus Allen leads a secondary that may be without injured CB John Reid.

ADVERTISEMENT