ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Officially Official 2022 Big Ten Tournament Thread

Starocci's post-match comments ("We are better than Michigan") did not age well, not even until the 184 lb finals match.
I agree. A level of bravado that I do not like.
Generally, I found our crew less enjoyable than those of the past— I.e. too much talk about “me.”

source: Page 51 (of 112 pages) in NCAA 2021-22 and 2022-23 Wrestling Rules Book

Fall 2
Forfeit, Medical Forfeit 2
Default 2
Disqualification 2
Flagrant Misconduct 2
Technical Fall 1½
Advancement in Championship Bracket 1
Advancement in Wrestle-Back Bracket ½
Major Decision (by 8 through 14 points) 1
Bye followed by a win in Championship Bracket 1
Bye followed by a win in Wrestle-Back Bracket ½

Also, this:
TOURNAMENT SCORING CHART
-----------------1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th
Eight Places 16 --12 --10 --9 --7 ---6 ---4--- 3
Thanks for this. I assumed you got something even if you got a bye.

This fan base is interesting

BoNi and DT act overly confident and talk smack....

Carter says what he says and pearls clutched...
I am still a fan of speak softly and carry a big stick.
In the former’s case, he also expressed his feeling about the greater being. I don’t think I heard any of that from these guys ( from Marinelli, yes).

Ironic ending with our one “ sure “ winner losing while the “ unlikely” happens ( Dean and Kervielt win). Such is life. That’s what makes it wonderful to me.

Kerk with a nice win over Parris, but not enough. UM wins the tournament by 1.5 points over PSU. The 184 finals bout was the difference, but it was due to really good balance for UM through all ten weights.

Congrats to UM, and great effort by all.
Amen. Job well done, Michigan.

How can PSU not be leading this tournament. That program has recruited and landed more top 10 p4p guys than the next three programs combined. How did you guys whiff at 125? How can you guys have nothing in the middle other than Berge despite all the top 10 p4p talent you have stockpiled? Will you guys have any trouble getting your between B1G’s and Natl’s Russian special with all the sanctions?

All kidding aside…I still think you guys show your winning formula works when the finals wrap up. Good luck.
Guess I was wrong.

I was impressed with Kerkvleits gamesmanship he set up some rolls from bottom after going down 0-2 in one of his last couple matches.

I also liked Cael’s reaction to Brooks left ankle getting picked twice it was that look that says yep that’s the one I would have gone to also. I do like the PSU staffs demeanor and think they’re good for the sport.

All of our wrestlers who had a bye in the first round did not receive any points for their by. I think that gives the team a competitive disadvantage since we have lower amount if max points. I think we would have won the team title if our wrestlers with byes would have been able to earn points instead of getting a bye.
I think the # 1 & 2 seeds should get bonus points that the 3rd and 4th seed earn in the 1st round. #1 seed gets the same bonus #3 acquires and #2 gets #4's bonus. Just my opinion as it seems a team like PSU with 5 #1 seeds loses out on easy bonus points. It would be interesting to know what the coaches think about it. Less matches or more point possibilities?

Reactions: jlg8875
I think if the wrestler receives the bye, if he scores bonus during any one match on the front side (not the backside) he will receive those bonus points for the bye as well. Only one match and highest bonus tho. So if he scores a major in quarters, a tech in semis and fall in finals, he gets the bonus for that finals match but also gets the additional bonus for his bye.

Reactions: creamery freak
Get in line. This can be dealt with........

After "they" change the stalling rules
Then the riding rules
the edge wrestling rules
the takedown scoring rules
the merkle
the conference allocation procedures
the seeding criteria
and Wrestlestat

I am still a fan of speak softly and carry a big stick.
In the former’s case, he also expressed his feeling about the greater being. I don’t think I heard any of that from these guys ( from Marinelli, yes).

You didn't hear Starocci humble himself to his Creator? You didn't listen to what he said then - he started his comments by saying - all glory to God, he gave me the ability, I'm just using it - or something to that effect. He then made a second similar reference later on. As far as his comments go, he essentially said that God gave him the ability to be the best wrestler on earth and he is going to realize that gift - there is zero wrong with that statement imho. As for his Michigan comments, PSU is better than Michigan as they proved in their Dual and will prove in 9 days. Michigan is not going to have 5 finalists at Nationals (probably 2), while PSU will likely have 5 finalists. Michigan is not going to have 10 AAs at Nationals (i.e., replicate their B1G placing - 2 B1G Champions, 3 Runner-Ups, 2 Third Place, 2 Fourth Place and an Eighth Place) - I don't see Michigan recording more than 5 AAs tops. PSU looks to have significantly more AAs with a far higher average placing from those AAs (PSU could easily record 4 or 5 Individual Champions - which has become somewhat normal for PSU under Cael's reign). In any event, the results at B1Gs say very little about Michigan's ability to replicate those results at Nationals versus PSU's ability to replicate similar placing results at Nationals.

Reactions: nitlion6
I think some folks focus and care a little too much about what a young athlete hyped up on adrenaline says seconds after a big performance.

(There is an exception for chopping wood and carrying water, however.)

Reactions: nitlion6
You didn't hear Starocci humble himself to his Creator? You didn't listen to what he said then - he started his comments by saying - all glory to God, he gave me the ability, I'm just using it - or something to that effect. He then made a second similar reference later on. As far as his comments go, he essentially said that God gave him the ability to be the best wrestler on earth and he is going to realize that gift - there is zero wrong with that statement imho. As for his Michigan comments, PSU is better than Michigan as they proved in their Dual and will prove in 9 days. Michigan is not going to have 5 finalists at Nationals (probably 2), while PSU will likely have 5 finalists. Michigan is not going to have 10 AAs at Nationals (i.e., replicate their B1G placing - 2 B1G Champions, 3 Runner-Ups, 2 Third Place, 2 Fourth Place and an Eighth Place) - I don't see Michigan recording more than 5 AAs tops. PSU looks to have significantly more AAs with a far higher average placing from those AAs (PSU could easily record 4 or 5 Individual Champions - which has become somewhat normal for PSU under Cael's reign). In any event, the results at B1Gs say very little about Michigan's ability to replicate those results at Nationals versus PSU's ability to replicate similar placing results at Nationals.
I thought he was referring to UM generically while referencing the big dance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT