ADVERTISEMENT

Officially Florida bound

I hope you like Greek food. Tarpon Springs is where the Greek sponge divers are and lots of Greek speaking people. On a high note they have some GREAT bakeries right on the water front. My wife and I had a very enjoyable day there about 3 years ago. Also if you are a fisherman, there is a park-name escapes me-several miles up the coast next to a power plant. In the colder months the manatees go there and so do the fish because of the discharge of warmer water from the plant. I had fun there catching mackerel there one afternoon.

I hope you like Greek food. Tarpon Springs is where the Greek sponge divers are and lots of Greek speaking people. On a high note they have some GREAT bakeries right on the water front. My wife and I had a very enjoyable day there about 3 years ago. Also if you are a fisherman, there is a park-name escapes me-several miles up the coast next to a power plant. In the colder months the manatees go there and so do the fish because of the discharge of warmer water from the plant. I had fun there catching mackerel there one afternoon.

GREEKS? Just be careful when (and where) you bend over to pick up a pencil...

Tampon Strings sounds like a horrible place to live, good luck
Looks horrible. At least he gets to opt out of paying state income tax now to make up for the hardship.

Howard-Park1.jpg

Reactions: MaconNitt

Crystal River/ Homosassa Springs.

Anybody have any thoughts on Venice, FL? Friend of mine is selling his condo. He’s going to list it with a realtor for $420k but I could pick it up for less and he’d avoid realtor commission. It is oceanfront. From what I’ve read, Venice just seems a little too quiet for my taste but I’ve never been.

Reactions: step.eng69
Venice is just south of me. I live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area (10 minute drive from Venice) which we enjoy. Venice has the oldest per capita population in the country, but it’s still a nice area. It’s a pretty laid back community. You’d be about an hour away from Tampa too. A lot of people come up from Venice to Sarasota for the restaurants, which we have a ton of. In fact, I ran into Russ Rose at one of the restaurants here a few years ago. Come up to Bradenton to scout out the high school football talent at IMG.

Tarpon Springs ------> Greek Town

Had a place there a long time ago. Lions HC Wayne Fontes was my neighbor and I think he's still resides there.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I prefer the East coast, but to each his own.
Moved here in '94 and will never leave. I love Florida. Haters can eat shiat.
Like every place it depends where you are. There's also alligators in every drop of water, snakes, every kind of bug imaginable, and ridiculous heat and humidity in the summer. And then hurricanes too.
Also beautiful areas - no doubt. I would snow bird but never live there full time. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Nitwit
You should have bought our place.:D

Our daughter got her undergraduate degree and a Masters degree at CSU. So we've kept an eye on real estate prices over the past decade or so. It's been crazy. I suspect you did quite well when you sold your place.

Like every place it depends where you are. There's also alligators in every drop of water, snakes, every kind of bug imaginable, and ridiculous heat and humidity in the summer. And then hurricanes too.
Also beautiful areas - no doubt. I would snow bird but never live there full time. Just my opinion.
Yup, you're right. Florida sucks. Don't move here. Just visit and spend plenty of money :)
Alligators: don't bother me. Attacks are extremely rare
Snakes: I've seen as many snakes in PA as I have in Florida
Bugs: ok, I'll give you that one :)
Heat: 38 of the contiguous 48 states have higher all time high temps than Florida. I live 2 blocks from the ocean, temps and humidity not bad at all.
Hurricanes: no major hurricane has ever hit the east coast of Florida north of Ft Pierce. Ever. Since they've been keeping records. (Sorry Mt Nittany). Better chance of having your house destroyed by hurricane in Cape Cod.

But I digress.... Florida sucks. Don't move here. Tell all your friends. Great place to visit, but sucks to live here. :)

Yup, you're right. Florida sucks. Don't move here. Just visit and spend plenty of money :)
Alligators: don't bother me. Attacks are extremely rare
Snakes: I've seen as many snakes in PA as I have in Florida
Bugs: ok, I'll give you that one :)
Heat: 38 of the contiguous 48 states have higher all time high temps than Florida. I live 2 blocks from the ocean, temps and humidity not bad at all.
Hurricanes: no major hurricane has ever hit the east coast of Florida north of Ft Pierce. Ever. Since they've been keeping records. (Sorry Mt Nittany). Better chance of having your house destroyed by hurricane in Cape Cod.

But I digress.... Florida sucks. Don't move here. Tell all your friends. Great place to visit, but sucks to live here. :)
:eek:

But I digress.... Florida sucks. Don't move here. Tell all your friends. Great place to visit, but sucks to live here.
Funny, Bob Ford announcing the players at the Open and every third player is from Jupiter. It must only be good for golfers. So if you don't play golf - professionally - it must suck.

Reactions: PSU87
Some of the towns are just too elderly oriented so be careful where you wind up. It can impact restaurants and other services. I’m no youngster but prefer to be around normal aged people. I’ve found the west coast to be a series of strip malls full of Pawn Shops and Dollar stores. The stop lights have panhandlers - homeless people hoping for a few bucks. It seems like a lot of people the elderly are not well off financially.

I like the cultural diversity of the east coast towns rather then the Midwest orientation along the west cost (except maybe for Naples). The area north of Miami is my favorite - like visiting Rio without leaving the country full of luxury high rise ocean front condos. The area has great beaches, restaurants of all nationalities-Cuban, Brazilian, Peruvian, Columbian, Kosher, Japanese and Chinese, and of course Italian. You can sit outside with your expresso and croissant in the morning and people watch as the Ferraris cruise by on Ocean Drive. No one rushes.

Last edited:
Funny, Bob Ford announcing the players at the Open and every third player is from Jupiter. It must only be good for golfers. So if you don't play golf - professionally - it must suck.
As I said many nice places in Florida, especially if you have money and live in luxury communities like these country club brats whining about how poor the course is in the us open.
Florida has many run down dumps too. When you're retired living two blocks from the beach you probably don't see those areas.

As I said many nice places in Florida, especially if you have money and live in luxury communities like these country club brats whining about how poor the course is in the us open.
Florida has many run down dumps too. When you're retired living two blocks from the beach you probably don't see those areas.
Koepka grew up in WPB - hardly a "country club brat". I've seen all of FL. From the groves north of Sebring to Key West to the panhandle. The only part I wouldn't live in is inland (like Orlando or Ocala) where there are no breezes in the summer. BTW, your post screams class envy. That's no way to spend your Fathers Day.

Koepka grew up in WPB - hardly a "country club brat". I've seen all of FL. From the groves north of Sebring to Key West to the panhandle. The only part I wouldn't live in is inland (like Orlando or Ocala) where there are no breezes in the summer. BTW, your post screams class envy. That's no way to spend your Fathers Day.
Yawn. Yours screams elitism and arrogance. Ditto.

Median household income in Jupiter is around $70K. Check the suburbs of DC if you want elitism.
I spend half my time in NYC. Trust me, I'm familiar with elitism. By the way a 70k median household income is more than respectable.

I spend half my time in NYC. Trust me, I'm familiar with elitism. By the way a 70k median household income is more than respectable.
No bigs Pride. There are cheap places to live along the coast in FL - Vero Beach is the hot spot now. Soon it will be north of there...It's all good.

ADVERTISEMENT