ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL: UCLA, USC to join the Big Ten starting in 2024

First heard these rumors a year ago. The Big Ten network will paying the colleges a lot of money if this happens. Can you imagine the LA TV market revenues?

First heard these rumors a year ago. The Big Ten network will paying the colleges a lot of money if this happens. Can you imagine the LA TV market revenues?
Absolutely. They already have some stake out there but with those two they’d have the four biggest tv markets in the US. NY, LA, Chicago, and Philly.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I think we also see part of the reason behind the foot-dragging behind expanding the playoffs, there is the thought/hope that we are going to at some point lose a P5 conference due to the shuffling, one of them will get to the point they just don't have the quality of markets or teams to be a viable 5th power conference.

Then you can go forward with your 4 team playoff that more often than not will just take the 4 conference champs.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think we also see part of the reason behind the foot-dragging behind expanding the playoffs, there is the thought/hope that we are going to at some point lose a P5 conference due to the shuffling, one of them will get to the point they just don't have the quality of markets or teams to be a viable 5th power conference.

Then you can go forward with your 4 team playoff that more often than not will just take the 4 conference champs.
If you ask me we are very much on our way to three super conferences that likely just form their own division of college football.

Would be a great move, the west coast is a dumpster fire in Northern Cal , thru Oregon and Washington. Money would be the driving factor for the bell cows of the Pac.

If this does come down, my guess is say goodby to noon kickoffs. 3:30 would put it at 12:30 west coast time. Nobody respectful is up any earlier than noon in LA.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
The Big 10's contract expires in 2023.

Is there any chance that we drop Rutgers and Maryland, and add USC and UCLA?

Reactions: pittpsu
that would sure help our schedule! Will the B1G add them to the East?
9 game conference schedule. Play your POD every year and the other 3 PODs 2x every 6 years.

POD 1
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Stanford

POD 2
Colorado
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

POD 3
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan St

POD 4
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

9 game conference schedule. Play your POD every year and the other 3 PODs 2x every 6 years.

POD 1
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Stanford

POD 2
Colorado
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

POD 3
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan St

POD 4
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
Michigan and Ohio state being separated and not playing annually won’t fly. Would need to swap them and MSU in that model.

If this does come down, my guess is say goodby to noon kickoffs. 3:30 would put it at 12:30 west coast time. Nobody respectful is up any earlier than noon in LA.
Right. Because the NFL doesn’t have 1pm kickoffs. If you know anyone on the west coast they are use to eating breakfast and watching football.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Always wished the B1G could have got Texas but this is an acceptable consolation prize. What ACC schools would the B1G seriously consider. Im sure every ACC school is weighing their options today.

Right. Because the NFL doesn’t have 1pm kickoffs. If you know anyone on the west coast they are use to eating breakfast and watching football.
Every time I go to San Diego bars are hoping at 10:00 for nfl

Always wished the B1G could have got Texas but this is an acceptable consolation prize. What ACC schools would the B1G seriously consider. Im sure every ACC school is weighing their options today.

When Texas and Oklahoma made their move to the SEC, a lot of people predicted it would trigger a total realignment in college football. They were right. USC and UCLA to the B1G is just as huge...and the second shoe to drop.

If it all goes down as it appears it will, the Pac-12 will overnight become obsolete, and there will then be a wild scramble involving that conference's left-behinds and the already revamped Big-12...plus maybe the ACC too.

When the scramble stops, who knows what the landscape of college football will look like. But it will be nothing like anybody ever imagined just a few years ago.

When Texas and Oklahoma made their move to the SEC, a lot of people predicted it would trigger a total realignment in college football. They were right. USC and UCLA to the B1G is just as huge...and the second shoe to drop.

If it all goes down as it appears it will, the Pac-12 will overnight become obsolete, and there will then be a wild scramble involving that conference's left-behinds and the already revamped Big-12...plus maybe the ACC too.

When the scramble stops, who knows what the landscape of college football will look like. But it will be nothing like anybody ever imagined just a few years ago.
The only way the ACC survives this is if they get Notre Dame to join full-time. Other than that, any school not in the Big Ten or SEC better find a way to get an invite within the next few years. It’s only a matter of time before the SEC begins going after the ACC’s southern football powers.

Reactions: bison13 and Jerry
The only way the ACC survives this is if they get Notre Dame to join full-time. Other than that, any school not in the Big Ten or SEC better find a way to get an invite within the next few years. It’s only a matter of time before the SEC begins going after the ACC’s southern football powers.
I really see having two major conferences as the death of college football. Along with NIL, they will have taken most of what made cfb special and turned it into a minor league for the NFL. And the US doesn't really give much love to minor leagues in general. Why watch an inferior product when the NFL is sitting there on Sundays. And I say this as someone who isn't a super huge fan of the the sanitized NFL.

I really see having two major conferences as the death of college football. Along with NIL, they will have taken most of what made cfb special and turned it into a minor league for the NFL. And the US doesn't really give much love to minor leagues in general. Why watch an inferior product when the NFL is sitting there on Sundays. And I say this as someone who isn't a super huge fan of the the sanitized NFL.
You’re not wrong. Why do you think we were so eager to renew rivalry games with Penn State or West Virginia? The beauty of college football was its regionality and I think we are officially past the point of no return.

The other thing to consider is that will fans/alums of schools not in the impending superleague tune in? At the very least, I think they’ll eventually be a decline in viewership after the initial allure wears off. How will that justify the money these networks and tech companies are throwing at it, especially with a decline in cable subscribers? Just some food for thought.

POD 1
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Stanford

POD 2
Colorado
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

POD 3
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan St

POD 4
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
I don't think you know how the Big Ten feels about the tTMOSU-Michigan game. They would rather die than let it be played once every 3 years.

Reactions: kgilbert78

I for one would be delighted to welcome Pitt...plus Boston College and Syracuse...to the B1G.

With Maryland and Rutgers already in the mix, it would be like old times for us.

I'm old enough to fondly remember the Penn State-Pitt rivalry, which for a time was every bit as big as Alabama-Auburn, USC-UCLA, or Oklahoma-Nebraska.

I'm not sure Notre Dame is gonna save you. Times have changed. The Irish are a long way from Knute Rockne and the Four Horsemen, and let's face it, they're not even a Catholic school anymore except in name only. So they should quit the stupid charade and join reality.

Absolutely. They already have some stake out there but with those two they’d have the four biggest tv markets in the US. NY, LA, Chicago, and Philly.
And TV markets like D.C, Baltimore, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Indianapolis. All of those markets (city and surrounding area) are at least 3 million plus, And Ive probably missed one or two big TV markets

I don't think it alters "what was special" about college football. There have always been the haves and have nots. Imagine being a fan of a MAC school when you know your season is over before you even play a game. College football needs 3 levels and the highest level should only be between 24-48 schools. Any more than that is ignoring reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT