ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL: UCLA, USC to join the Big Ten starting in 2024

Texas won the all sports director's cup the last 2 years, dethroning Stanford's long streak.
Yeah, I didn't realize how strong Texas is overall, Stanford did finish 2nd

And the B1G had Michigan and OSU finished 3rd and 4th - pretty decent showing by the conference. Notre Dame also did well - finishing 8th. It's rumored that ND and Stanford are the next 2 top choices of the B1G expansion going forward.

20 is 4 pods of 5---the Pac XII obviously makes up 1--it will be interesting to see what they do with the rest if they get to 20 using that group
After the shock yesterday (USC and UCLA), I wouldn't rule out any future scenarios. Man, the conference, USC, and UCLA did a super job of keeping everything quiet until it broke - all within a day

9 game conference schedule. Play your POD every year and the other 3 PODs 2x every 6 years.

POD 1
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Stanford

POD 2
Colorado
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

POD 3
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan St

POD 4
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

I like where you are going with this. Some edits:
>Toss Colorado out. They add nothing for revenue or competition and their admin hates sports.
>Move Illinois to that pod and replace Colorado with Notre Dame
>Make a 10 game conference schedule. The 10th game will be rivalry week for Michigan vs fOSU, Penn State vs MSU, Indiana vs Purdue, Illinois vs NW. The 10th game for the rest can be set on a regular schedule Iike the NFL with the extra game.

Edit: add in USC vs ND. (Dummy me forgot about that one)

Last edited:
Reactions: FlintTown
I like where you are going with this. Some edits:
>Toss Colorado out. They add nothing for revenue or competition and their admin hates sports.
>Move Illinois to that pod and replace Colorado with Notre Dame
>Make a 10 game conference schedule. The 10th game will be rivalry week for Michigan vs fOSU, Penn State vs MSU, Indiana vs Purdue, Illinois vs NW. The 10th game for the rest can be set on a regular schedule Iike the NFL with the extra game.

Only conference games is the route to take with this. Any other game might as well be an exhibition game.

If you add Colorado and an Arizona school, you have the bridge to Cali, all BIG states touching. I know those are undesirable, but it works. From New Jersey to California all touching.

My guess is the preference will be ND first second and third. There was a rumor way back when Nebraska was added that Colorado was in play. I never thought it made sense. Maybe in this scenerio it does.

Sounds like the Big10 wants UW, Oregon, Stanford and ND to make 20-no link just what I am reading on twitter. UW and Oregon could be announced by next week.
Agreed that is the ideal scenario for the Big Ten...thinking maybe long term of going to 24 with UNC, UVA, GT and Miami????

Reactions: We Are . . .
Stanford wins the President’s Cup every year because they undoubtedly have the top sports program in the country. And it isn’t even close in the points generated.

Many also consider them the top academic university in the country, ahead of Harvard. Add in a tv market full of filthy rich youngins that blow through cash like Hunter on a cocaine/hooker binge. TV networks would kill for that market.

Some of top researchers in the world. Great connections to all massive global tech companies. Great connections to China, all of Asia, and more that will help make the Big a global network.
China? USA public enemy #1 China?

China? USA public enemy #1 China?
Stanford and Cal are compared in football attendance to Minnesota and Rutgers respectively.
Oregon and Washington add at least 10 k fans per year add those two along with ND and Miami which adds even more fans.
Pass on the Bay Area.

Stanford and Cal are compared in football attendance to Minnesota and Rutgers respectively.
Oregon and Washington add at least 10 k fans per year add those two along with ND and Miami which adds even more fans.
Pass on the Bay Area.
I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong, but I also don’t think you can look at Stanford as a single entity in terms of expansion. I’d view them more as a package deal to entice Notre Dame to join the Big Ten.

Pass on the Bay Area.
Get Cal and Stanford for academics. Stanford decent in football.

Also add Washington and Oregon to complete western pod.

Add Colorado and Utah for Mountain/North Central pod

Add ND and Pitt.

24 team super conference, 4 pods of 6. Penn State in eastern pod with O$U, Pitt, ND, Maryland and Rutgers.

scUM and O$U still play each other every year despite not being in same pod.

SEC adds:

UNC
Miami
Clemson
FSU

Baylor
Texas Tech
Okie State
Iowa State

Dilemma is what to do with basketball powers Kansas, Duke and UVA?

Get Cal and Stanford for academics. Stanford decent in football.

Also add Washington and Oregon to complete western pod.

Add Colorado and Utah for Mountain/North Central pod

Add ND and Pitt.

24 team super conference, 4 pods of 6. Penn State in eastern pod with O$U, Pitt, ND, Maryland and Rutgers.

scUM and O$U still play each other every year despite not being in same pod.

SEC adds:

UNC
Miami
Clemson
FSU

Baylor
Texas Tech
Okie State
Iowa State

Dilemma is what to do with basketball powers Kansas, Duke and UVA?

Unless a school can add $100+ million per year to the conference, they aren't worth adding. From your list, here is who is worth adding:

California -- No
Stanford -- No
Washington -- No
Oregon -- No
Colorado -- No
Utah -- No
Notre Dame -- Yes
Pitt -- No

Last edited:
Reactions: diontechristmas
Unless a school can add $100+ million per year to the conference, they aren't worth adding. From your list, here is who is worth adding:

California -- Hell No
Stanford -- Only when paired with ND
Washington -- Maybe
Oregon -- Maybe
Colorado -- Hell No
Utah -- Hell No
Notre Dame -- Yes, yes, yes
Pitt -- When hell freezes over

Edited above

Reactions: Sullivan

California -- No
Stanford -- No
Washington -- No
Oregon -- No
Colorado -- No
Utah -- No
Notre Dame -- Yes
Pitt -- No
Not sure who could do that besides ND who is left on the board. I guess they could go after Clemson and FSU. but they will want the SEC in my opinion.

There are too many name brand programs left to be snubbed and relagated to a secondary status conference. Oregon will find a good home and so will Washington.

If the Big Ten becomes real choosy and essentially wants no one else besides ND then there will be a third power conference that emerges.

Some contenders:

Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Okie State
ASU
Arizona
Kansas
Duke
UVA
Baylor
Iowa State

Between the B10 and SEC the race is on for ND then after that it is Clemson, then FSU then UNC then Miami.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Not sure who could do that besides ND who is left on the board. I guess they could go after Clemson and FSU. but they will want the SEC in my opinion.

There are too many name brand programs left to be snubbed and relagated to a secondary status conference. Oregon will find a good home and so will Washington.

If the Big Ten becomes real choosy and essentially wants no one else besides ND then there will be a third power conference that emerges.

Some contenders:

Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Okie State
ASU
Arizona
Kansas
Duke
UVA
Baylor
Iowa State

Between the B10 and SEC the race is on for ND then after that it is Clemson, then FSU then UNC then Miami.

I'm thinking the leftovers from the Pac-12 will unite with the leftovers of the Big-12, which now includes BYU. How do you know that your new conference may have a problem? When BYU is the most glamorous name associated with it.

The ACC is a real question mark. The schools are contractually obligated to the league for another 14 years, and though they could break the contract, it would cost them big-time bucks.

Clemson might happily pay that money in return for a huge deal from the SEC. Same thing for Florida State or Miami. If so, the ACC is history.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame can write its own ticket. They're the most storied program...the most loved...the most hated...in the history of college football even to the present day. That's why every conference wants them...most of all the Big-10...or Big-16...or B1G...or whatever it's calling itself this week.

Some contenders:

Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Okie State
ASU
Arizona
Kansas
Duke
UVA
Baylor
Iowa State

I question whether there would be political pressure on the teams that have an in state competitor to not go it alone. I am referring to Oregon, Washington, Kansas, etc. I do realize that Oklahoma and Texas did ditch their in state schools.
Going to be a wild ride.

SEC is apparently prepared to offer FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVa.
Virginia would be surprising. However, I think it’d be pretty funny if Miami throws all that money at football and their recruiting class just to get left out like the rest of us! :oops:

Virginia would be surprising. However, I think it’d be pretty funny if Miami throws all that money at football and their recruiting class just to get left out like the rest of us! :oops:
Agreed--though I wouldn't be shocked if that scenario plays out if the Big Ten adds Miami. They could pair them with Penn State in whatever the "east" will be.

I'm tired of the Big 10 hinging on ND for about the 4th time.

We have enough smugness with Michigan don't need Stanford . Bring in Oregon and Washington bring in VA .Tec , or NC but definitely Miami the history between the Canes and PSU goes back to 1967.

Agreed--though I wouldn't be shocked if that scenario plays out if the Big Ten adds Miami. They could pair them with Penn State in whatever the "east" will be.
That’s why I think the SEC would be wise to invite Miami as well. Although there’d be a lot of overlap with territory they already control, it would prevent the Big Ten from making inroads into the southeastern region.

I'm tired of the Big 10 hinging on ND for about the 4th time.

We have enough smugness with Michigan don't need Stanford . Bring in Oregon and Washington bring in VA .Tec , or NC but definitely Miami the history between the Canes and PSU goes back to 1967.
I hate Notre Dame more than any program or team in sports. Absolutely hate them. That said, the second they agree to join we take them immediately and don't ask a single question. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

That’s why I think the SEC would be wise to invite Miami as well. Although there’d be a lot of overlap with territory they already control, it would prevent the Big Ten from making inroads into the southeastern region.
For sure, although I was trying to figure out what pods/divisions would like for the SEC with Miami, FSU, UNC and Clemson...it's not pretty.

Anyway--that gets the SEC to 20. The Big Ten counters with Miami, Oregon, Washington and Notre Dame (Va Tech or Stanford if ND says No)

Then we'll see what happens next. By 2026 this should be....interesting. I know people hate it but this is long overdue. I wish this would have happened in the 90s.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
For sure, although I was trying to figure out what pods/divisions would like for the SEC with Miami, FSU, UNC and Clemson...it's not pretty.

Anyway--that gets the SEC to 20. The Big Ten counters with Miami, Oregon, Washington and Notre Dame (Va Tech or Stanford if ND says No)

Then we'll see what happens next. By 2026 this should be....interesting. I know people hate it but this is long overdue. I wish this would have happened in the 90s.
Yeah, I hope we get it over with quickly. Just rip the band-aid off and tell us what our fate is!

However, I do think there’s one more step to this. Eventually, I think all the major schools in each conference (30 or so) come together to form a true nationwide super league. Why would Penn State want to share revenue payouts with Maryland or Rutgers? Same with Vanderbilt in the SEC. It may not be a for a little while, but I think their collective bargaining power combined with a potential wildcard (Amazon, Apple) could create a deal that’s big enough to satisfy everyone involved.

Basketball powers only, Duke, UVA and Kansas are wildcards. Also not sure how they view the academic powerhouses, Stanford. Cal, UVA. Duke. I think UNC gets courted because they check all 3 boxes, decent at football, basketball and academic power. UNC could be a package deal with Duke and UVA.

In fantasy land I would take: ND, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, VA Tech, Virginia, UNC, and Duke. It is a great mix of academic and athletic excellence and puts roots down into a growing region down south. It also pods nicely regionally to keep some sort of regionalism and rivalries in a national conference. If two VA schools make no sense then perhaps Utah or an AZ school.

In fantasy land I would take: ND, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, VA Tech, Virginia, UNC, and Duke. It is a great mix of academic and athletic excellence and puts roots down into a growing region down south. It also pods nicely regionally to keep some sort of regionalism and rivalries in a national conference. If two VA schools make no sense then perhaps Utah or an AZ school.
Yes would love to get UVA, Va Tech, Duke and UNC. Miami would be nice as well. Can we get rid of Rutgers and while we are at it Nebraska?

Nebraska is going nowhere. Miami will get stronger under Cristobal. Miami has Florida to recruit great talent, Nebraska has nothing.
I still wouldn't drop Nebraska. And honestly, if the Big Ten did drop someone Nebraska is probably the least likely after Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

There's really no limit to the number of schools that can be added. If anything, like HailtoPitt said, the top 30 or so schools will eventually break away.

I still wouldn't drop Nebraska. And honestly, if the Big Ten did drop someone Nebraska is probably the least likely after Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

There's really no limit to the number of schools that can be added. If anything, like HailtoPitt said, the top 30 or so schools will eventually break away.
Yeah, I look at Nebraska being historically a much stronger brand than Miami. If anything, the addition of two California schools will perhaps reopen that recruiting pipeline Nebraska used to have out west.

Yeah, I look at Nebraska being historically a much stronger brand than Miami. If anything, the addition of two California schools will perhaps reopen that recruiting pipeline Nebraska used to have out west.
I see Nebraska as adding very little to the conference. Probably the weakest academically or certainly bottom 2 or 3. Lousy hoops, declining football. No major TV market near them. What they do have is a rabid football fanbase so I guess that is okay for bowl game travel. Good women's VB so they got that. Not sure if they are a good TV draw for football at this point, I doubt it. No California kid wants to attend Nebraska these days. None of them were alive when Nebraska was a power.

ADVERTISEMENT