ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL: UCLA, USC to join the Big Ten starting in 2024

If this does come down, my guess is say goodby to noon kickoffs. 3:30 would put it at 12:30 west coast time. Nobody respectful is up any earlier than noon in LA.
Good for PSU; we typically play poorly in noon games!

Reactions: Verolion
Good news about this is that it should be a very long time before Michigan wins anything. With Harbaugh and his comparatively weak recruiting, and only above average coaching, no way he's going to get past OSU and USC in the same year.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Um, no.

The only schools remaining that the B1G would seriously consider are...

Washington
Oregon
ND
Clemson
FSU
Miami
UNC
UVA
Maybe Stanford

Think academics still matter a bit to the B1G, so the SEC can have Clemson and FSU.

The B1G and the SEC will leave the remnants of the other conferences behind and will have their own playoffs with the champs meeting in the college equivalent of the SB.

The remnants of the other conferences will have their own playoffs and championship, like the Championship league underneath the EPL.
The BIG would also take Duke.

The biggest question I have is whether this will make the B1G West better?

"Several schools have applied for the Big Ten"--this is great news. Can't wait until there's 24 to 32 schools in the conference and people acted shocked.

I saw it on Twitter @fifth quarter. That site now says multiple Pac12 teams have applied.Fifth quarter

I'm sure multiple Pac-12 teams - if not every single one - have applied/contact/whatever with the Big Ten. Any of them would want to join.

Whether the Big Ten would actually want any of them is a huge question. New additions have to increase revenue by more than the average money being distributed and given how huge the Big Ten contract will be with USC/UCLA, it will be tough for most schools to provide that. Washington/Oregon might be close to providing enough revenue and seem like a plausible addition. I really don't see any other Pac-12 teams that move the needle enough to warrant adding except for one - Stanford if they can be a package deal with getting Notre Dame to join.

The Big Ten isn't going to be interested in adding any other Pac-12 teams IMHO. None of the rest have the right combination to be attractive to the conference.

When Texas and Oklahoma made their move to the SEC, a lot of people predicted it would trigger a total realignment in college football. They were right. USC and UCLA to the B1G is just as huge...and the second shoe to drop.

If it all goes down as it appears it will, the Pac-12 will overnight become obsolete, and there will then be a wild scramble involving that conference's left-behinds and the already revamped Big-12...plus maybe the ACC too.

When the scramble stops, who knows what the landscape of college football will look like. But it will be nothing like anybody ever imagined just a few years ago.
AND BASKETBALL 🏀

UCLA historical power/$USC has a solid coach and NIL money to burn

I'm sure multiple Pac-12 teams - if not every single one - have applied/contact/whatever with the Big Ten. Any of them would want to join.

Whether the Big Ten would actually want any of them is a huge question. New additions have to increase revenue by more than the average money being distributed and given how huge the Big Ten contract will be with USC/UCLA, it will be tough for most schools to provide that. Washington/Oregon might be close to providing enough revenue and seem like a plausible addition. I really don't see any other Pac-12 teams that move the needle enough to warrant adding except for one - Stanford if they can be a package deal with getting Notre Dame to join.

The Big Ten isn't going to be interested in adding any other Pac-12 teams IMHO. None of the rest have the right combination to be attractive to the conference.
You're not seeing the big picture here. The SEC and Big Ten plan on destroying the other conferences and creating HUGE conferences. The SEC and the Big Ten will eventually be the only two conferences in the highest level of college football. The plan isn't to get to 16 as they are now...they might double that. And you can bet the SEC is figuring out who they want as well right now while the same schools like Cincinnati that thought things were getting better are now screwed.

It's going to be pods not divisions.

Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Michigan State

Ohio State
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue

Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Wisconsin

USC
UCLA
Nebraska
Minnesota

For now--there will be more added
I think the same with some pods different

I think 4 subdivisions would look like this and keep rivalries:

East: PSU, OSU, Rugters, Maryland.

Greatlakes: Mich, MSU, IU, Purdue

Midwest: Illinois, NW, Wiscy, Minnesota

West: Iowa, Nebraska, USC, UCLA

Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Michigan State

Ohio State
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue

Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Wisconsin

USC
UCLA
Nebraska
Minnesota

The irony is that as the SEC and Big 10 expand to 20 or 24 or whatever, you may not see a conference team for 5 or 6 years. You’ll play in your pod or division each year, which is essentially your conference. It will barely feel like a conference.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I think the same with some pods different

I think 4 subdivisions would look like this and keep rivalries:

East: PSU, OSU, Rugters, Maryland.

Greatlakes: Mich, MSU, IU, Purdue

Midwest: Illinois, NW, Wiscy, Minnesota

West: Iowa, Nebraska, USC, UCLA
I'm okay with this but they won't separate Michigan and Ohio State. I like Minnesota better in the West but it won't matter as they'll add more west teams

The irony is that as the SEC and Big 10 expand to 20 or 24 or whatever, you may not see a conference team for 5 or 6 years. You’ll play in your pod or division each year, which is essentially your conference. It will barely feel like a conference.
I don't see any issue with that. And ideally you'll eventually only play conference games.

You're not seeing the big picture here. The SEC and Big Ten plan on destroying the other conferences and creating HUGE conferences. The SEC and the Big Ten will eventually be the only two conferences in the highest level of college football. The plan isn't to get to 16 as they are now...they might double that. And you can bet the SEC is figuring out who they want as well right now while the same schools like Cincinnati that thought things were getting better are now screwed.

I think you aren't getting the big picture. The Big Ten and SEC don't want to have massive conference. They just want to be way stronger than everyone else. You do that by collecting all of the "kings" and neutering all the other conferences.

The end game is the Big Ten getting Notre Dame and the SEC getting Clemson. A few other teams (like Oregon/Washington for the Big Ten, FSU for the ACC, maybe some like Miami(FL), UNC going to one or the other) might be in play to round stuff out but the Big Ten and SEC don't care about the bread and butter of the other conferences. IF they get all the kings, then the other conferences have fallen so far in stature that the gap is too much to make up. Why would the SEC and Big Ten want to bother sharing massive revenue with also ran teams currently in the Pac-12/Big 12/ACC? The Big Ten and SEC are much better off having 18-20 teams but dominating revenues and media attention to such an extend that the other current "power conferences" will be irrelevant.

I think you aren't getting the big picture. The Big Ten and SEC don't want to have massive conference. They just want to be way stronger than everyone else. You do that by collecting all of the "kings" and neutering all the other conferences.

The end game is the Big Ten getting Notre Dame and the SEC getting Clemson. A few other teams (like Oregon/Washington for the Big Ten, FSU for the ACC, maybe some like Miami(FL), UNC going to one or the other) might be in play to round stuff out but the Big Ten and SEC don't care about the bread and butter of the other conferences. IF they get all the kings, then the other conferences have fallen so far in stature that the gap is too much to make up. Why would the SEC and Big Ten want to bother sharing massive revenue with also ran teams currently in the Pac-12/Big 12/ACC? The Big Ten and SEC are much better off having 18-20 teams but dominating revenues and media attention to such an extend that the other current "power conferences" will be irrelevant.

We completely disagree--the end game is the SEC/Big Ten forming their own league. Watch and see what happens

The NCAA won't even be a part of the top level of college football. There's going to be an insane TV deal. A real playoff and players being paid.

Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Michigan State

Ohio State
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue

Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Wisconsin

USC
UCLA
Nebraska
Minnesota

USC and Minny. Yeah, like USC is going to let that happen.

USC-Minny is also a disaster from an aesthetics point of view.

Hafta say it is amazing they kept this so quite. Had to be months in negotiations. Dozens of people involved, if not a hundred or more. Attorneys, financial gurus, representatives from all schools involved. NCAA, maybe governmental types.

Would some of the top coaches be involved or at least aware? TV networks?

Hard to believe it wasn’t leaked out by someone.

New PSU AD.... lol It is kind of crazy how this was only leaked hours before being official

USC and Minny. Yeah, like USC is going to let that happen.

USC-Minny is also a disaster from an aesthetics point of view.
Until they add more team which they will. USC isn't going to complain about an easy win either. You act as though that's different than Washington State

I am surprised. You have the overconfidence and sucky takes as a much younger man.
You're not being realistic here and you're apparently insulted that others see the writing on the wall. You're coming across as a person that believed the ACC/Big Ten/Pac XII was legit and this was surprising to you. If anything you're the one that's overconfident when you're pretending it's the 80s. You're probably mad about NIL, think an education should be enough for the players, think conferences should be regional, get mad that players skip meaningless bowl games, etc.

Do you still wish we played Pitt? Do you want to leave the Big Ten for the ACC?

How am I doing?

You're not being realistic here and you're apparently insulted that others see the writing on the wall. You're coming across as a person that believed the ACC/Big Ten/Pac XII was legit and this was surprising to you. If anything you're the one that's overconfident when you're pretending it's the 80s. You're probably mad about NIL, think an education should be enough for the players, think conferences should be regional, get mad that players skip meaningless bowl games, etc.

Do you still wish we played Pitt? Do you want to leave the Big Ten for the ACC?

How am I doing?
Explain what's wrong with anything you've accused him of believing.

Here, I'll go out on a limb. You've been divorced more than two times, been fired multiple times for deeds that others have done, and generally have very few friends that will actually return a call. How am I doing?

Explain what's wrong with anything you've accused him of believing.

Here, I'll go out on a limb. You've been divorced more than two times, been fired multiple times for deeds that others have done, and generally have very few friends that will actually return a call. How am I doing?

Not well--been married for over 20 years, been at the same company for over 15 years and others reach out to me not the other way around but to your first point...

The issue with those things is that you're stuck in the past and unable to adapt to change which is actually a sign that maybe you've been fired multiple times or were limited in how much you could advance at your job because you were a joke to management.

The best part here is they acted like a toddler with their response and somehow you respond to me in this manner. Well done.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Great point and agree. The SEC and Big 10 become the power conferences, period. Especially when remaining heavy weights like Clemson and FSU get scooped up ( along with a few other like maybe OK State and Oregon). Both conferences will have every school that can realistically win a natty, save for whatever the hell Notre Dame will do. The Oregon State, Wake Forest and Iowa State’s of the world will exist in mid major status along with current fringe P5 members like UCF and Cincy. At that point the exact construct of the ACC, PAC 12 and Big 12 is largely irrelevant as they are simply tier 2.

What becomes of Rutgers, Purdue, Vandy even Miss State? Do they fit in these stacked star school leagues? Do they eventually get the boot?

Last edited:
Great point and agree. The SEC and Big 10 become the power conferences. The Oregon State, Wake Forest and Iowa State’s of the world will existing in mid major status along with current fringe P5 members like UCF and Cincy.

What becomes of Rutgers, Purdue, Vandy even Miss State. Do they fit in these stacked star school leagues. Do they eventually get the boot?

I've wondered that as well. If the SEC and Big Ten actually did "break away" from the NCAA and tried to become super conferences separate from the rest of college sports, I'd be very nervous if I were at the four schools you mentioned - the thing keeping them in the picture is tradition and status quo and you want to fight vigorously to avoid those changing too much too fast.

Anyway, we might see Oregon/Washington move to the Big Ten in the short term, that's really the only middle tier move that might potentially make sense. Other than that, I don't think we'll see any shifts for the Big Ten or SEC unless/until Notre Dame and/or Clemson decide to move.

Not well--been married for over 20 years, been at the same company for over 15 years and others reach out to me not the other way around but to your first point...

The issue with those things is that you're stuck in the past and unable to adapt to change which is actually a sign that maybe you've been fired multiple times or were limited in how much you could advance at your job because you were a joke to management.

The best part here is they acted like a toddler with their response and somehow you respond to me in this manner. Well done.
You are a little man, an angry little man.

The BIG would also take Duke.

Dook wouldn't bring in $100 million.

In fact, UNC may not be able to do that, but whatever the case, can't see the B1G adding more than 1 NC school.

Stanford has actually won some recent conference championships in FB and the B1G's interest would be tepid at best, even with the Bay area being a huge media market.

To be fair, Oregon and UDub may not be able to bring in an additional $100 million either, but there's always the possibility of Phil Knight buying Oregon's way in with a monster conference endorsement deal (9-10 figures) to the chagrin of UA.

And Virginia tech.

Can't see the B1G adding more than 1 VA school and the B1G would rather take the state flagship school.

I understand why you're saying that but that's not what's about to happen. You're still looking at this under the current landscape of college football..

Both the B1G and SEC will continue to expand... eventually (waiting for the ACC's GoR to get closer to expiration), but they are going to be picky, only taking the "big fruit." - so doubt that either will double in size.

See 24 schools being the max, but probably fewer than that.

Only remaining school to really move the needle for the B1G are the Domers (Clemson and FSU not being a good fit culturally, much less academically), so any other school in consideration would be with the Domers in mind.

The additions of the LA schools is already paying off with Apple reportedly reentering rights negotiations.

If both the B1G and SEC stand pat at 16, can see CFB playoff being expanded to at least 6 teams with the B1G and SEC being guaranteed 2 teams with the conference champs getting a bye.

The other 2 bids would open to the other conferences, but could also be filled by another SEC or B1G school (s).

If both conferences end up with 20+ schools, having stripped the best programs from the B12, PAC and ACC - then can see the 2 super-conferences leaving the rest behind and having their own intra-conference playoffs, with the conf. champs meeting in the college equivalent of the SB.

The remnants of the other conferences would basically be relegated to a lower league, just like how there's the Championship League underneath the Premier League.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctornick
This may be the only business where the leaders think reducing their TAM (Total Available Market) is a good strategy.

Also, if you think taking down the 'NCAA League' down to 32-48 teams is great because you split the pie into less pieces, why stop there? Take it down to 16 teams and you can have non-stop gridiron gold each week - Blue Blood vs Blue Blood and mo' money.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the contraction down to 40-50 teams ends up making more money. The college football that was popular before and the college football that will exist with a 40-50 top tier and everyone else also rans are two different things. Who says the latter will be as popular as the former?

Also, that big chunk of teams that will have been cut out over the few decades of the transition have fans too, albeit not as many as the big name schools, and why would any of those fans care at all about the teams in the SEC and Big 10? Would you if you were in their position? When their fans had a small chance of playing with the big boys at the end of the year it made sense to care. But if those teams have no chance at all then why care? There are lots of other entertainment options these days.

In a separate note, are USC and UCLA going to send all their non-revenue athletes to the other side of the country? I hope someone wises up on that at least and says, let's just make this football and maybe basketball and make the non-revenue sports be regional

ADVERTISEMENT