ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL: UCLA, USC to join the Big Ten starting in 2024

The SEC and Big Ten will each soon have at least 24.

The SEC adds Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Baylor, Oklahoma State, NC State and North Carolina.

The Big Ten adds Notre Dame, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Colorado, Stanford, Oregon and Washington

If both want 32 then...
SEC continues with Texas Tech, UCF, Louisville, Arizona, Arizona State, TCU, UNLV and Duke/Wake

Big Ten continues with Cal, Virginia, Iowa State, West Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State, Utah and BYU...or bump someone for Cincy

Everyone's happy that matters

Hilarious
that flyover between LA and Lincoln is gonna suck

BrilliantOccasionalDowitcher-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: wolve1972
Distance doesn't matter for football. I'm sure they'll come up with something for other sports

I for one would be delighted to welcome Pitt...plus Boston College and Syracuse...to the B1G.

With Maryland and Rutgers already in the mix, it would be like old times for us.

I'm old enough to fondly remember the Penn State-Pitt rivalry, which for a time was every bit as big as Alabama-Auburn, USC-UCLA, or Oklahoma-Nebraska.

I'm not sure Notre Dame is gonna save you. Times have changed. The Irish are a long way from Knute Rockne and the Four Horsemen, and let's face it, they're not even a Catholic school anymore except in name only. So they should quit the stupid charade and join reality.
Realistically, PSU Pitt was only a major rivalry from 76-82. The hate was there far longer than that, but most of the time it was a good PSU team and a so-so Pitt team trying to make its season by beating PSU.

The Big Ten adds Notre Dame, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Colorado, Stanford, Oregon and Washington

Um, no.

The only schools remaining that the B1G would seriously consider are...

Washington
Oregon
ND
Clemson
FSU
Miami
UNC
UVA
Maybe Stanford

Think academics still matter a bit to the B1G, so the SEC can have Clemson and FSU.

The B1G and the SEC will leave the remnants of the other conferences behind and will have their own playoffs with the champs meeting in the college equivalent of the SB.

The remnants of the other conferences will have their own playoffs and championship, like the Championship league underneath the EPL.

Reactions: Sullivan
I don't think it alters "what was special" about college football. There have always been the haves and have nots. Imagine being a fan of a MAC school when you know your season is over before you even play a game. College football needs 3 levels and the highest level should only be between 24-48 schools. Any more than that is ignoring reality.
We are just not going to agree on this. There is already a lot of apathy because there are relatively few schools competing in the college football playoff. What do you think is going to happen to the ratings when there are even fewer teams in the top level? They will slowly decline.

And that's not even taking into consideration what will likely happen to cfb viewership once the old guys die off. The kids today don't care about football and sports in general like the older generations.

Last edited:
FSU and Clemson are likely the last and final SEC additions. Miami has no fans.

I do think additions to the Big 10 will come from out west to appease the LA schools. Washington and Oregon likely 1st. Stanford and the Arizona schools are very attractive as well. The rest of the PAC maybe joins with the more attractive schools left in the ACC and Big 12.

Um, no.

The only schools remaining that the B1G would seriously consider are...

Washington
Oregon
ND
Clemson
FSU
Miami
UNC
UVA
Maybe Stanford

Think academics still matter a bit to the B1G, so the SEC can have Clemson and FSU.

The B1G and the SEC will leave the remnants of the other conferences behind and will have their own playoffs with the champs meeting in the college equivalent of the SB.

The remnants of the other conferences will have their own playoffs and championship, like the Championship league underneath the EPL.
I understand why you're saying that but that's not what's about to happen. You're still looking at this under the current landscape of college football..

We are just not going to agree on this. There is already a lot of apathy because there are relatively few schools competing in the college football playoff. What do you think is going to happen to the ratings when there are even fewer teams in the top level? They will slowly decline.

And that's not even taking into consideration what will likely happen to cfb viewership once the old guys die off. The kids today don't care about football and sports in general like the older generations.
There's apathy because we have a 4 team playoff in which 80% of the teams have zero percent chance of being a part of it. When you have less teams at the top level interest goes way up because the competition is better. We won't have Penn State and others playing the little sisters of the poor. The money involved will be absolutely insane and the top players will all be at the top 40-64 schools. The quality improves. It becomes more like a pro sport and we can't pretend pro football isn't successful. Kids absolutely care about college football today just not in the way you believe they should. The sooner the bowl system dies the better for the game.

So, are people actually angry about this? We knew it was coming--whether it was USC/UCLA or some other schools the Big Ten and SEC are going to keep expanding because of the TV money. As soon as Oklahoma/Texas went to the SEC it was only a waiting game for the next domino to fall. I only wish they did this years ago instead of adding Maryland/Rutgers.

FSU and Clemson are likely the last and final SEC additions. Miami has no fans.

I do think additions to the Big 10 will come from out west to appease the LA schools. Washington and Oregon likely 1st. Stanford and the Arizona schools are very attractive as well. The rest of the PAC maybe joins with the more attractive schools left in the ACC and Big 12.
But the recruiting in Miami is huge!!! Some of the best players if not the best players come out of Miami.

Hafta say it is amazing they kept this so quite. Had to be months in negotiations. Dozens of people involved, if not a hundred or more. Attorneys, financial gurus, representatives from all schools involved. NCAA, maybe governmental types.

Would some of the top coaches be involved or at least aware? TV networks?

Hard to believe it wasn’t leaked out by someone.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT