ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Ohio State game thread

I really don't give damn about the whims of posters on this board, they are welcome to want for Levis and I wish some of us could have a side conversation(in this case about our current QB) without you chiming in with your constant anti-poster narrative.
Yet you asked these posters that you don’t give a damn about their opinion what their opinion is….hmm.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUfiji
Yeah, I cant think of a lot of calm casual sidestepping QBs at the college level in a super rushed pocket, but fine. Remember, Clifford spent 2 years running the RPO and being told if your first read isn't there, take off. He was literally our leading rush attempt guy last year. I think this OC has improved his pocket awareness and keeping his eyes downfield on the run. It was tough when OSU athletes were running past both of our tackles last night and collapsing the pocket on Clifford

im not saying he should be like Tom Brady (who’s the best ever at doing that) but there have been numerous times , even last night, where a slide step in one direction would have opened the pocket completely. He just doesn’t have the awareness.

That said, other than the pick he threw in the 4th, I thought he played well. Showed a lot of heart and guts

Yet you asked these posters that you don’t give a damn about their opinion what their opinion is….hmm.

I care about their opinions directly related to Clifford and challenged them. I don't give a damn about their posting history on Levis and I certainly didn't want your opinion re posters and Levis. Not every comment on this board is carte blanche for you to espouse your constant team/coach protectionism.

Reactions: grinagrin
im not saying he should be like Tom Brady (who’s the best ever at doing that) but there have been numerous times , even last night, where a slide step in one direction would have opened the pocket completely. He just doesn’t have the awareness.

That said, other than the pick he threw in the 4th, I thought he played well. Showed a lot of

Fair enough. I've been pleased with his development, wish this OC had been there his entire career.

I care about their opinions directly related to Clifford and challenged them. I don't give a damn about their posting history on Levis and I certainly didn't want your opinion re posters and Levis. Not every comment on this board is carte blanche for you to espouse your constant team/coach protectionism.
Okay, maybe you can put an asterisk on every post I’m allowed to respond to….thanks in advance.

• Haha
Okay, maybe you can put an asterisk on every post I’m allowed to respond to….thanks in advance.

Why would I need to? You respond to EVERY comment ALL the time. How about you subscribe to my original request and take a breather when 2 other posters are having a disagreement not involving you or inserting a topic or player that is not apart of the discussion? If you want to jump in and talk about Clifford's play, great, don't jump in and bring up Levis just to bad mouth posters on this board, its peevish and unnecessary.

Or actually, I could see that being a little complicated. How about you just not respond to any of my comments(or you can put me on ignore) that way I don't have to put asterisks on any of my posts and you don't have to be confused?

Last edited:
Why would I need to? You respond to EVERY comment ALL the time. How about you subscribe to my original request and take a breather when 2 other posters are having a disagreement not involving you or inserting a topic or player that is not apart of the discussion? If you want to jump in and talk about Clifford's play, great, don't jump in and bring up Levis just to bad mouth posters on this board, its peevish and unnecessary.

Or actually, I could see that being a little complicated. How about you just not respond to any of my comments(or you can put me on ignore) that way I don't have to put asterisks on any of my posts and you don't have to be confused?
I don’t put people on ignore because unlike many on here, I’m okay with people having a different opinion than mine.

The Keandre Lambert Smith play, IMO, sums up the Franklin era to me. (In the 2nd quarter on 3rd and 5)

that was a complete lack of attention to details when he stepped out of bounds before making what should have been a huge 3rd down catch.
No excuse for that. None. Not a defender within 10 yards of him.

poor coaching? Poor football IQ? Not sure but it’s a microcosm of this era. A great play negated by a lack of focus

Or the Lovett pass "route".

Was Lovett touched? Yes, but not before he was clearly headed off the field of play. This is obvious from the replay. It seems that kid doesn't know where he is or needs to be half the time. He's a headache for Clifford and seems to throw off the rhythm of the offense.

It's the lack of discipline that bothers me most about Franklin-coached teams. Call it attention to detail if you want, but I think it runs deeper. Franklin is always trying to generate enthusiasm and remain positive -- which is good -- but there are times when some old-fashioned tough-love is needed. That's hard to do when your approach to players is to be their best friend.

The most egregious example of undisciplined and poorly coached: Joey Porter Jr.. Here is a tremendous athlete but one who could be flagged on every play simply for how he uses his hands. This speaks to his position coach. Worse, Porter could be flagged at the end of every play for unsportsmanlike conduct, which speaks to the priorities of the head coach.

If you are an alum from the JVP era, this is not what you want to see in a Penn State uniform. Should Franklin decide to leave, he can take the likes of Porter right along with him.

As for yesterday, I was pleased with the effort from the team. But it leaves the obvious question: Where was this team last week, and why? If it wants to be "elite," then it needs to have elite preparation and discipline. Discipline starts with the man at the top. He is the one responsible for the makeup of the team, and which parts see the field.

Reactions: Omar81 and Grass
Do we really know that's all on the coach? Most of us remember what his dad was like in the NFL

Doesn't matter what his dad was like, or even if Porter cannot control himself.

What matters is that Franklin puts him on the field. JVP would have had him on the bench until he changes.

Or the Lovett pass "route".

Was Lovett touched? Yes, but not before he was clearly headed off the field of play. This is obvious from the replay. It seems that kid doesn't know where he is or needs to be half the time. He's a headache for Clifford and seems to throw off the rhythm of the offense.

It's the lack of discipline that bothers me most about Franklin-coached teams. Call it attention to detail if you want, but I think it runs deeper. Franklin is always trying to generate enthusiasm and remain positive -- which is good -- but there are times when some old-fashioned tough-love is needed. That's hard to do when your approach to players is to be their best friend.

The most egregious example of undisciplined and poorly coached: Joey Porter Jr.. Here is a tremendous athlete but one who could be flagged on every play simply for how he uses his hands. This speaks to his position coach. Worse, Porter could be flagged at the end of every play for unsportsmanlike conduct, which speaks to the priorities of the head coach.

If you are an alum from the JVP era, this is not what you want to see in a Penn State uniform. Should Franklin decide to leave, he can take the likes of Porter right along with him.

As for yesterday, I was pleased with the effort from the team. But it leaves the obvious question: Where was this team last week, and why? If it wants to be "elite," then it needs to have elite preparation and discipline. Discipline starts with the man at the top. He is the one responsible for the makeup of the team, and which parts see the field.
Very sound. Franklin is a good guy and a good/very good coach.

But this is who he is and what his teams are…not disciplined enough to win games decided by details on the margins. Certainly not against great coaches like Ryan Day. Or even sometimes against the Bret B or Kirk F’s, etc.

Porter has played great football this year. But I think you would play with a little humility after losing to Illinois on your home field last week?

It is time for a new style of leadership (actually the old Penn State style). I think we have seen what the current leadership is - good but not good enough. And not winning (or losing) with enough class or humility.

Reactions: PSUfiji and TheGLOV
Very sound. Franklin is a good guy and a good/very good coach.

But this is who he is and what his teams are…not disciplined enough to win games decided by details on the margins. Certainly not against great coaches like Ryan Day. Or even sometimes against the Bret B or Kirk F’s, etc.

Porter has played great football this year. But I think you would play with a little humility after losing to Illinois on your home field last week?

It is time for a new style of leadership (actually the old Penn State style). I think we have seen what the current leadership is - good but not good enough. And not winning (or losing) with enough class or humility.
good but not good enough

Kinda like Marc Andre Fleury!

Sorry, had to.

;)

• Haha
Wonder what happened to Holmes. He was supposed to be the next Barkley. How can we miss on so many highly rated 4 star backs?
Has not seen the field since week 1? Assume he can’t pass block? At this point, I am not even sure why we even try to run…atrocious.

• Sad
I’ll know when I get there, but it’s more than one losing season or even two if this year ends up that way.
So we go 5-7 this year losing 7 straight or maybe 6-6 then go say 5-7 or 6-6 next year are you at least a little anxious or are you committed to Franklin forever and think he will turn things around and get us to a B10 championship (not even a Natty just B10)? Do you not think there is a replacement good enough driving your thinking? Just sincerely trying to understand your thought process since you clearly are a huge supporter of him.

Has not seen the field since week 1? Assume he can’t pass block? At this point, I am not even sure why we even try to run…atrocious.
Yeah good question on Holmes. He may go portal. Amazing that what was a supposed strength at RB is a weakness now. The O-Line is a major contributor but clearly are RBs are not strong. Frustrating since they were all 4 stars and highly regarded. Cain looks sooooo sloooooow!

Yeah good question on Holmes. He may go portal. Amazing that what was a supposed strength at RB is a weakness now. The O-Line is a major contributor but clearly are RBs are not strong. Frustrating since they were all 4 stars and highly regarded. Cain looks sooooo sloooooow!
Something is not right with Cain. Not the same back from 2 years ago. Perhaps he never will be.

But the Oline run blocking is horrendous. So it makes things much worse for the RBs. Unacceptable.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
So we go 5-7 this year losing 7 straight or maybe 6-6 then go say 5-7 or 6-6 next year are you at least a little anxious or are you committed to Franklin forever and think he will turn things around and get us to a B10 championship (not even a Natty just B10)? Do you not think there is a replacement good enough driving your thinking? Just sincerely trying to understand your thought process since you clearly are a huge supporter of him.
Two years is not enough to oust someone based on his previous four seasons. I also take into account Covid last year (which many on here give Mel Tucker a pass for, but not Franklin) and the injuries this year (without those, I think we’re at 7-1 or maybe 8-0). I don’t think you can just look at records in a vacuum….his first two years had the sanctions. I’m not committed to any coach forever, but I’m also pretty realistic of our ceiling based on the past 35 years. I also don’t think the university is all in on football, so any coach we get will have the same or worse results. Might as well keep the guy who can recruit. I also want to keep this next recruiting class together. I will say that if we’re 6-6 or 7-5 for the next two years, I would think it’s time to move on, but I don’t think we will be.

Of course he is, as are all coaches who lose any games. I have yet to see a message board that doesn’t blame every coach for every team that doesn’t go undefeated every year.
All I'm asking is to win the games you should win, like Illinois. Franklin is a fraud. Illinois lost to Rutgers yesterday. They are 3 - 6 this season. How is it Penn State lost, and deserved to lose to them?

Two years is not enough to oust someone based on his previous four seasons. I also take into account Covid last year (which many on here give Mel Tucker a pass for, but not Franklin) and the injuries this year (without those, I think we’re at 7-1 or maybe 8-0). I don’t think you can just look at records in a vacuum….his first two years had the sanctions. I’m not committed to any coach forever, but I’m also pretty realistic of our ceiling based on the past 35 years. I also don’t think the university is all in on football, so any coach we get will have the same or worse results. Might as well keep the guy who can recruit. I also want to keep this next recruiting class together. I will say that if we’re 6-6 or 7-5 for the next two years, I would think it’s time to move on, but I don’t think we will be.
CJF definitely deserves a chance to turn things around...starting with keeping this class together, and ditching the annual flirtation with other jobs. With a new prexy and AD coming in, the attitudes of the outgoing admins is irrelevant. Let's see what the future holds.

All I'm asking is to win the games you should win, like Illinois. Franklin is a fraud. Illinois lost to Rutgers yesterday. They are 3 - 6 this season. How is it Penn State lost, and deserved to lose to them?
According to this board, he should win every game. Illinois was a bad game, no doubt, but would you be okay with it had Illinois beat Rutgers? I doubt it, so the fact that they lost to Rutgers means nothing. How about Auburn? Any credit there for Franklin, since Auburn is looking to be a pretty damn good team?

CJF definitely deserves a chance to turn things around...starting with keeping this class together, and ditching the annual flirtation with other jobs. With a new prexy and AD coming in, the attitudes of the outgoing admins is irrelevant. Let's see what the future holds.
Agreed and I too am tired of the constant chatter about Franklin and other jobs, but much of that is the talking heads’ fault and not Franklin. I don’t think it’s as big a distraction to the players and recruits as it is to the fans though and we’re not seeing a mass exodus of recruits, so I’m pretty sure Franklin is telling them what’s going on. I think even if Franklin came out and said he wasn’t interested, the talking heads would still bring his name up and say something like, “he says he’s not interested, but you know how coaches are” and the uncertainty would continue. I also don’t like Franklin’s policy on not discussing injuries, but that’s what he does. There will always be things fans don’t like about what coaches do and don’t do, but I think we just have to learn to live with them.

Reactions: grinagrin
I say wait and see if the team can beat Michigan and Michigan State. If yes, then you know the injury to Clifford derailed the season. If he loses to both teams then there are deeper issues.

Same here, I was sort of into the game but part of me was kind of melancholy, thinking what if we had even half that kind of effort last week.

Did the WR Fleming get in last night? I don't remember seeing him.
Don't believe he did. He's had a hard luck two years so far as I've read he's been plagued by injuries - on and off - and only recently has been healthy. Still, he's down the list on the WR depth chart. If he stays healthy, he might see more touches next year.

Why does he “deserve” it…is not 8 years enough..

Don't believe he did. He's had a hard luck two years so far as I've read he's been plagued by injuries - on and off - and only recently has been healthy. Still, he's down the list on the WR depth chart. If he stays healthy, he might see more touches next year.
Thanks, it didn't look like either team was too far into the backups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT