ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Ohio State game thread

Their DL is fierce.
I thought UGA would be a force this season. My daughter graduated last spring and I attended several games in Athens. It's definitely a different experience compared to my many games (home and away) during and after my years at PSU.

Everyone who argues it is time seems convinced that #1) we will hire Matt Ruhle; #2) Matt Ruhle is the answer. Five years ago he was at Temple. He has coached one top 25 team ever
Matt Ruhle
Career: NFL: 8–15 (.348)
NCAA: 47–43 (.522)
Bowls: 1–2 (.333)

His Baylor teams never defeated a ranked team. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good choice either. Just saying that it's not on the basis of his coaching record to date.

I thought UGA would be a force this season. My daughter graduated last spring and I attended several games in Athens. It's definitely a different experience compared to my many games (home and away) during and after my years at PSU.
I was just reading about the GA DL the other day. The one guy is a house and the rest of them are playing like wild dawgs.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
I'd say it's two straight seasons of .500 or less. But 2020 was pretty weird and basically an irrelevant season. So this is a grey area. Also, the buyout is so massive right now that PSU shouldn't pull the trigger on releasing him. It is much, much better for PSU in the long run if he leaves for another school
Def forgot the buyout. But that happens cause we can’t recruit if our coach is a lame duck unsigned 1 year left guy. Cant have both ways.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If you ask any HONEST OSU fan, they'll tell you that PSU is always their biggest concern in the B1G. For whatever reason, PSU always gives OSU their best shot and toughest game in the BiG. Just the way it is. I have to believe that this would have been PSU's 1st loss if Clifford would have been healthy. I think the lack of a running game is what beat PSU in this one
I agree. Ohio State’s big plays were a byproduct of a consistent and successful running game. Stretch the other teams defense and you will eventually wear it down. JMHO

Story of the year. OSU rushes four against our five and they get to Clifford. Until Franklin realizes that the five guys on the LOS are ;s fatherhe most important we will not win . Seriously answer me this… how many OL would you pick tonite from both teams lines would be from PSU? There isn’t one PSU guy that would start at OSU
VERY TRUE, and a lesson taught to me by my high school sweetheart's father - Dr. Bob Hopkins. Playing at the University of Missouri, he had earning all Big Six Honors, was a member of the team named Big Six Champions and was the leading rusher in the 1946 Cotton Bowl Classic. He quit his senior year to better concentrate on his scholastics, giving up his athletic scholarship.

When I first began dating his youngest daughter he challenged me to name some star football players at Penn State... to which I immediately began to name off many defensive stars and a few on offense like Lenny Moore, Lydell Mitchell and John Cappelletti...

That's when he stopped me and said my perspective was all wrong. It was nice having big name players at the skilled position... BUT it didn't matter unless you had good offensive linemen that could advance the line of scrimmage. I was embarrassed that I failed to mention a fraternity brother of mine (several years before my matriculation) - Dave Joyner, an offensive tackle for the Lions from 1969 to 1971 and was both a consensus All-American and an Academic All-American in 1971.

BUT his point was well taken, success in college football begins with the offensive line.

RIP Dr. Bob Hopkins:
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/news-journalonline/name/thomas-hopkins-obituary?pid=152041752

Nobody else left on the schedule can move the ball like OSU does. That alone means we have a good chance to win out.

SC remaining healthy/improving health wise is VITAL. He's absolutely the key to the offense. Without a running game, he can't make a mistake though. That's a big ask vs the third most talented team in the country.

One thing I can say, none of the breaks went our way. Closest thing to a break we got was the misfire/wrong route on the one 4th down.

For all the kudos he gets, Day made some poor decisions tonight. His talent bailed him out.
Win out? You must be on narcotics. We will be lucky to not lose out? You think we are defeating either Michigan team? Rutgers? They just beat the mighty Fighting Illini on the road? Maryland just put 38 on the board and won? I will be happy to get to bowl eligible? But will we accept? Or “opt out” - you know there is still COVID out there…

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji and TheGLOV
Win out? You must be on narcotics. We will be lucky to not lose out? You think we are defeating either Michigan team? Rutgers? They just beat the mighty Fighting Illini on the road? Maryland just put 38 on the board and won? I will be happy to get to bowl eligible? But will we accept? Or “opt out” - you know there is still COVID out there…
I think we go 7-5 maybe 8-4

It's disappointing that we have experienced players back on this offensive line with a full spring and summer to work a cohesive unit and they have been maybe the worst O-line we've seen since Hackenberg was getting sacked on every other snap by Temple. Add to that the lack of Clifford properly climbing the pocket on a few crucial plays and you have the sacks and the scoop & score that happened tonight. The offensive line had been decent in pass protection the first few weeks but Clifford didn't help them tonight by being too much of a statue in the pocket. If he just hops forward a couple of times, he'd have been able to make a couple more deliveries and he definitely doesn't have that fumble.

It's disappointing that we have experienced players back on this offensive line with a full spring and summer to work a cohesive unit and they have been maybe the worst O-line we've seen since Hackenberg was getting sacked on every other snap by Temple. Add to that the lack of Clifford properly climbing the pocket on a few crucial plays and you have the sacks and the scoop & score that happened tonight. The offensive line had been decent in pass protection the first few weeks but Clifford didn't help them tonight by being too much of a statue in the pocket. If he just hops forward a couple of times, he'd have been able to make a couple more deliveries and he definitely doesn't have that fumble.
Clifford is very hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji
I think we beat Maryland and Rutgers and have a chance to knock off Michigan at home. Michigan State will be tough but not impossible.
Hope you are right. It will be 2 dog fights without a running game against Rutgers and Maryland (think about that for a sobering thought)…and that assumes Cliff can continue to play…I hope he gets some NIL as he has taken a pounding.

Time to try something/someone new on the OLine…was so optimistic on Trautwein…by regretfully looks like a mistake.

I am thinking 6-6 might be our ceiling.

Last edited:
Hope you are right. It will be 2 dog fights without a running game against Rutgers and Maryland (think about that for a sobering thought)…and that assumes Cliff can continue to play…I hope he gets some NIL as he has taken a pounding.

Time to something new on the OLine…was so optimistic on Trautwein…by regretfully looks like a mistake.

I am thinking 6-6 might be our ceiling.
you would!

All 4* or better (Ford was highest rated I believe). Can’t keep wishing for the future to get here. Haven’t had a 100 yard rusher this season AFAIK.
The best of the RB’s is the transfer. Cain is a shell of his former self.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji
Everyone who argues it is time seems convinced that #1) we will hire Matt Ruhle; #2) Matt Ruhle is the answer. Five years ago he was at Temple. He has coached one top 25 team ever
The (main) problem with Franklin is his seeming stubbornness/inability to learn. Same premature and idiotic decisions to go for it on fourth down in clearly the wrong situations — a week after demonstrating mind-boggling ineptitude at gaining three yards. A pathetic run-game scheme coupled with the inability to recruit and/or develop a serviceable offensive line. A W-L record after both bye weeks and initial losses that pales in comparison to the W-L record at other points, proving his approach is wrong and must be changed. There’s more, but you get the idea. All startling for a guy with all the binders, preparation, and analytics.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Blue I have been saying that for over 2 years on this board. But he was are guy and he really played hard.

What do you guys want from Clifford exactly? He has been accurate, when not injured is a running threat, has largely made good decisions this year. He has never had a top 30 offensive line in front of him and the team has 0 threat of running the ball, so all of the offense falls in his lap as his tackles are turn styles. Clifford has been one of the best performing players, top 5, on this team easy.

What do you guys want from Clifford exactly? He has been accurate, when not injured is a running threat, has largely made good decisions this year. He has never had a top 30 offensive line in front of him and the team has 0 threat of running the ball, so all of the offense falls in his lap as his tackles are turn styles. Clifford has been one of the best performing players, top 5, on this team easy.

my biggest issue with him is his pocket awareness….. it’s dreadful. There were many times last night (and in the last 3 years) where he could simply slide & step in pocket. He can’t do it

The Keandre Lambert Smith play, IMO, sums up the Franklin era to me. (In the 2nd quarter on 3rd and 5)

that was a complete lack of attention to details when he stepped out of bounds before making what should have been a huge 3rd down catch.
No excuse for that. None. Not a defender within 10 yards of him.

poor coaching? Poor football IQ? Not sure but it’s a microcosm of this era. A great play negated by a lack of focus

my biggest issue with him is his pocket awareness….. it’s dreadful. There were many times last night (and in the last 3 years) where he could simply slide & step in pocket. He can’t do it
Yeah, I cant think of a lot of calm casual sidestepping QBs at the college level in a super rushed pocket, but fine. Remember, Clifford spent 2 years running the RPO and being told if your first read isn't there, take off. He was literally our leading rush attempt guy last year. I think this OC has improved his pocket awareness and keeping his eyes downfield on the run. It was tough when OSU athletes were running past both of our tackles last night and collapsing the pocket on Clifford

Many wanted Levis….until yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT