Official PSU - Ohio State game thread

TheGLOV

Gold Member
Very sound. Franklin is a good guy and a good/very good coach.

But this is who he is and what his teams are…not disciplined enough to win games decided by details on the margins. Certainly not against great coaches like Ryan Day. Or even sometimes against the Bret B or Kirk F’s, etc.

Porter has played great football this year. But I think you would play with a little humility after losing to Illinois on your home field last week?

It is time for a new style of leadership (actually the old Penn State style). I think we have seen what the current leadership is - good but not good enough. And not winning (or losing) with enough class or humility.
good but not good enough

Kinda like Marc Andre Fleury!

Sorry, had to.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: PSUfiji

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
Wonder what happened to Holmes. He was supposed to be the next Barkley. How can we miss on so many highly rated 4 star backs?
Has not seen the field since week 1? Assume he can’t pass block? At this point, I am not even sure why we even try to run…atrocious.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
I’ll know when I get there, but it’s more than one losing season or even two if this year ends up that way.
So we go 5-7 this year losing 7 straight or maybe 6-6 then go say 5-7 or 6-6 next year are you at least a little anxious or are you committed to Franklin forever and think he will turn things around and get us to a B10 championship (not even a Natty just B10)? Do you not think there is a replacement good enough driving your thinking? Just sincerely trying to understand your thought process since you clearly are a huge supporter of him.

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
Has not seen the field since week 1? Assume he can’t pass block? At this point, I am not even sure why we even try to run…atrocious.
Yeah good question on Holmes. He may go portal. Amazing that what was a supposed strength at RB is a weakness now. The O-Line is a major contributor but clearly are RBs are not strong. Frustrating since they were all 4 stars and highly regarded. Cain looks sooooo sloooooow!

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
Yeah good question on Holmes. He may go portal. Amazing that what was a supposed strength at RB is a weakness now. The O-Line is a major contributor but clearly are RBs are not strong. Frustrating since they were all 4 stars and highly regarded. Cain looks sooooo sloooooow!
Something is not right with Cain. Not the same back from 2 years ago. Perhaps he never will be.

But the Oline run blocking is horrendous. So it makes things much worse for the RBs. Unacceptable.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
So we go 5-7 this year losing 7 straight or maybe 6-6 then go say 5-7 or 6-6 next year are you at least a little anxious or are you committed to Franklin forever and think he will turn things around and get us to a B10 championship (not even a Natty just B10)? Do you not think there is a replacement good enough driving your thinking? Just sincerely trying to understand your thought process since you clearly are a huge supporter of him.
Two years is not enough to oust someone based on his previous four seasons. I also take into account Covid last year (which many on here give Mel Tucker a pass for, but not Franklin) and the injuries this year (without those, I think we’re at 7-1 or maybe 8-0). I don’t think you can just look at records in a vacuum….his first two years had the sanctions. I’m not committed to any coach forever, but I’m also pretty realistic of our ceiling based on the past 35 years. I also don’t think the university is all in on football, so any coach we get will have the same or worse results. Might as well keep the guy who can recruit. I also want to keep this next recruiting class together. I will say that if we’re 6-6 or 7-5 for the next two years, I would think it’s time to move on, but I don’t think we will be.

dcf4psu

Nov 7, 2003
State College
Of course he is, as are all coaches who lose any games. I have yet to see a message board that doesn’t blame every coach for every team that doesn’t go undefeated every year.
All I'm asking is to win the games you should win, like Illinois. Franklin is a fraud. Illinois lost to Rutgers yesterday. They are 3 - 6 this season. How is it Penn State lost, and deserved to lose to them?

JayWye

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Two years is not enough to oust someone based on his previous four seasons. I also take into account Covid last year (which many on here give Mel Tucker a pass for, but not Franklin) and the injuries this year (without those, I think we’re at 7-1 or maybe 8-0). I don’t think you can just look at records in a vacuum….his first two years had the sanctions. I’m not committed to any coach forever, but I’m also pretty realistic of our ceiling based on the past 35 years. I also don’t think the university is all in on football, so any coach we get will have the same or worse results. Might as well keep the guy who can recruit. I also want to keep this next recruiting class together. I will say that if we’re 6-6 or 7-5 for the next two years, I would think it’s time to move on, but I don’t think we will be.
CJF definitely deserves a chance to turn things around...starting with keeping this class together, and ditching the annual flirtation with other jobs. With a new prexy and AD coming in, the attitudes of the outgoing admins is irrelevant. Let's see what the future holds.

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
All I'm asking is to win the games you should win, like Illinois. Franklin is a fraud. Illinois lost to Rutgers yesterday. They are 3 - 6 this season. How is it Penn State lost, and deserved to lose to them?
According to this board, he should win every game. Illinois was a bad game, no doubt, but would you be okay with it had Illinois beat Rutgers? I doubt it, so the fact that they lost to Rutgers means nothing. How about Auburn? Any credit there for Franklin, since Auburn is looking to be a pretty damn good team?

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
CJF definitely deserves a chance to turn things around...starting with keeping this class together, and ditching the annual flirtation with other jobs. With a new prexy and AD coming in, the attitudes of the outgoing admins is irrelevant. Let's see what the future holds.
Agreed and I too am tired of the constant chatter about Franklin and other jobs, but much of that is the talking heads’ fault and not Franklin. I don’t think it’s as big a distraction to the players and recruits as it is to the fans though and we’re not seeing a mass exodus of recruits, so I’m pretty sure Franklin is telling them what’s going on. I think even if Franklin came out and said he wasn’t interested, the talking heads would still bring his name up and say something like, “he says he’s not interested, but you know how coaches are” and the uncertainty would continue. I also don’t like Franklin’s policy on not discussing injuries, but that’s what he does. There will always be things fans don’t like about what coaches do and don’t do, but I think we just have to learn to live with them.

Reactions: grinagrin

RU31trap

Sep 30, 2010
I say wait and see if the team can beat Michigan and Michigan State. If yes, then you know the injury to Clifford derailed the season. If he loses to both teams then there are deeper issues.

wolve1972

Sep 3, 2018
Same here, I was sort of into the game but part of me was kind of melancholy, thinking what if we had even half that kind of effort last week.

Did the WR Fleming get in last night? I don't remember seeing him.
Don't believe he did. He's had a hard luck two years so far as I've read he's been plagued by injuries - on and off - and only recently has been healthy. Still, he's down the list on the WR depth chart. If he stays healthy, he might see more touches next year.

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
Why does he “deserve” it…is not 8 years enough..

berklion

Feb 16, 2016
chust north of Noodle Doosie
Don't believe he did. He's had a hard luck two years so far as I've read he's been plagued by injuries - on and off - and only recently has been healthy. Still, he's down the list on the WR depth chart. If he stays healthy, he might see more touches next year.
Thanks, it didn't look like either team was too far into the backups.

Latest posts