Official PSU - Ohio State game thread

CDLionFL

Jul 27, 2008
Orlando
It's disappointing that we have experienced players back on this offensive line with a full spring and summer to work a cohesive unit and they have been maybe the worst O-line we've seen since Hackenberg was getting sacked on every other snap by Temple. Add to that the lack of Clifford properly climbing the pocket on a few crucial plays and you have the sacks and the scoop & score that happened tonight. The offensive line had been decent in pass protection the first few weeks but Clifford didn't help them tonight by being too much of a statue in the pocket. If he just hops forward a couple of times, he'd have been able to make a couple more deliveries and he definitely doesn't have that fumble.

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
It's disappointing that we have experienced players back on this offensive line with a full spring and summer to work a cohesive unit and they have been maybe the worst O-line we've seen since Hackenberg was getting sacked on every other snap by Temple. Add to that the lack of Clifford properly climbing the pocket on a few crucial plays and you have the sacks and the scoop & score that happened tonight. The offensive line had been decent in pass protection the first few weeks but Clifford didn't help them tonight by being too much of a statue in the pocket. If he just hops forward a couple of times, he'd have been able to make a couple more deliveries and he definitely doesn't have that fumble.
Clifford is very hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
I think we beat Maryland and Rutgers and have a chance to knock off Michigan at home. Michigan State will be tough but not impossible.
Hope you are right. It will be 2 dog fights without a running game against Rutgers and Maryland (think about that for a sobering thought)…and that assumes Cliff can continue to play…I hope he gets some NIL as he has taken a pounding.

Time to try something/someone new on the OLine…was so optimistic on Trautwein…by regretfully looks like a mistake.

I am thinking 6-6 might be our ceiling.

Last edited:

lockhavenlion3

Nov 21, 2014
Hope you are right. It will be 2 dog fights without a running game against Rutgers and Maryland (think about that for a sobering thought)…and that assumes Cliff can continue to play…I hope he gets some NIL as he has taken a pounding.

Time to something new on the OLine…was so optimistic on Trautwein…by regretfully looks like a mistake.

I am thinking 6-6 might be our ceiling.
you would!

Big 0

Jun 28, 2001
All 4* or better (Ford was highest rated I believe). Can’t keep wishing for the future to get here. Haven’t had a 100 yard rusher this season AFAIK.
The best of the RB’s is the transfer. Cain is a shell of his former self.

• Sad

Omar81

Nov 12, 2014
Everyone who argues it is time seems convinced that #1) we will hire Matt Ruhle; #2) Matt Ruhle is the answer. Five years ago he was at Temple. He has coached one top 25 team ever
The (main) problem with Franklin is his seeming stubbornness/inability to learn. Same premature and idiotic decisions to go for it on fourth down in clearly the wrong situations — a week after demonstrating mind-boggling ineptitude at gaining three yards. A pathetic run-game scheme coupled with the inability to recruit and/or develop a serviceable offensive line. A W-L record after both bye weeks and initial losses that pales in comparison to the W-L record at other points, proving his approach is wrong and must be changed. There’s more, but you get the idea. All startling for a guy with all the binders, preparation, and analytics.

Reactions: ftlpsu

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
Blue I have been saying that for over 2 years on this board. But he was are guy and he really played hard.

What do you guys want from Clifford exactly? He has been accurate, when not injured is a running threat, has largely made good decisions this year. He has never had a top 30 offensive line in front of him and the team has 0 threat of running the ball, so all of the offense falls in his lap as his tackles are turn styles. Clifford has been one of the best performing players, top 5, on this team easy.

PSUcup1

Nov 6, 2012
What do you guys want from Clifford exactly? He has been accurate, when not injured is a running threat, has largely made good decisions this year. He has never had a top 30 offensive line in front of him and the team has 0 threat of running the ball, so all of the offense falls in his lap as his tackles are turn styles. Clifford has been one of the best performing players, top 5, on this team easy.

my biggest issue with him is his pocket awareness….. it’s dreadful. There were many times last night (and in the last 3 years) where he could simply slide & step in pocket. He can’t do it

PSUcup1

Nov 6, 2012
The Keandre Lambert Smith play, IMO, sums up the Franklin era to me. (In the 2nd quarter on 3rd and 5)

that was a complete lack of attention to details when he stepped out of bounds before making what should have been a huge 3rd down catch.
No excuse for that. None. Not a defender within 10 yards of him.

poor coaching? Poor football IQ? Not sure but it’s a microcosm of this era. A great play negated by a lack of focus

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
my biggest issue with him is his pocket awareness….. it’s dreadful. There were many times last night (and in the last 3 years) where he could simply slide & step in pocket. He can’t do it
Yeah, I cant think of a lot of calm casual sidestepping QBs at the college level in a super rushed pocket, but fine. Remember, Clifford spent 2 years running the RPO and being told if your first read isn't there, take off. He was literally our leading rush attempt guy last year. I think this OC has improved his pocket awareness and keeping his eyes downfield on the run. It was tough when OSU athletes were running past both of our tackles last night and collapsing the pocket on Clifford

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
Many wanted Levis….until yesterday.

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
I really don't give damn about the whims of posters on this board, they are welcome to want for Levis and I wish some of us could have a side conversation(in this case about our current QB) without you chiming in with your constant anti-poster narrative.
Yet you asked these posters that you don’t give a damn about their opinion what their opinion is….hmm.

• Haha

PSUcup1

Nov 6, 2012
Yeah, I cant think of a lot of calm casual sidestepping QBs at the college level in a super rushed pocket, but fine. Remember, Clifford spent 2 years running the RPO and being told if your first read isn't there, take off. He was literally our leading rush attempt guy last year. I think this OC has improved his pocket awareness and keeping his eyes downfield on the run. It was tough when OSU athletes were running past both of our tackles last night and collapsing the pocket on Clifford

im not saying he should be like Tom Brady (who’s the best ever at doing that) but there have been numerous times , even last night, where a slide step in one direction would have opened the pocket completely. He just doesn’t have the awareness.

That said, other than the pick he threw in the 4th, I thought he played well. Showed a lot of heart and guts

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
Yet you asked these posters that you don’t give a damn about their opinion what their opinion is….hmm.

I care about their opinions directly related to Clifford and challenged them. I don't give a damn about their posting history on Levis and I certainly didn't want your opinion re posters and Levis. Not every comment on this board is carte blanche for you to espouse your constant team/coach protectionism.

Reactions: grinagrin

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
im not saying he should be like Tom Brady (who’s the best ever at doing that) but there have been numerous times , even last night, where a slide step in one direction would have opened the pocket completely. He just doesn’t have the awareness.

That said, other than the pick he threw in the 4th, I thought he played well. Showed a lot of

Fair enough. I've been pleased with his development, wish this OC had been there his entire career.

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
I care about their opinions directly related to Clifford and challenged them. I don't give a damn about their posting history on Levis and I certainly didn't want your opinion re posters and Levis. Not every comment on this board is carte blanche for you to espouse your constant team/coach protectionism.
Okay, maybe you can put an asterisk on every post I’m allowed to respond to….thanks in advance.

• Haha

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
Okay, maybe you can put an asterisk on every post I’m allowed to respond to….thanks in advance.

Why would I need to? You respond to EVERY comment ALL the time. How about you subscribe to my original request and take a breather when 2 other posters are having a disagreement not involving you or inserting a topic or player that is not apart of the discussion? If you want to jump in and talk about Clifford's play, great, don't jump in and bring up Levis just to bad mouth posters on this board, its peevish and unnecessary.

Or actually, I could see that being a little complicated. How about you just not respond to any of my comments(or you can put me on ignore) that way I don't have to put asterisks on any of my posts and you don't have to be confused?

Last edited:

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
Why would I need to? You respond to EVERY comment ALL the time. How about you subscribe to my original request and take a breather when 2 other posters are having a disagreement not involving you or inserting a topic or player that is not apart of the discussion? If you want to jump in and talk about Clifford's play, great, don't jump in and bring up Levis just to bad mouth posters on this board, its peevish and unnecessary.

Or actually, I could see that being a little complicated. How about you just not respond to any of my comments(or you can put me on ignore) that way I don't have to put asterisks on any of my posts and you don't have to be confused?
I don’t put people on ignore because unlike many on here, I’m okay with people having a different opinion than mine.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
The Keandre Lambert Smith play, IMO, sums up the Franklin era to me. (In the 2nd quarter on 3rd and 5)

that was a complete lack of attention to details when he stepped out of bounds before making what should have been a huge 3rd down catch.
No excuse for that. None. Not a defender within 10 yards of him.

poor coaching? Poor football IQ? Not sure but it’s a microcosm of this era. A great play negated by a lack of focus

Or the Lovett pass "route".

Was Lovett touched? Yes, but not before he was clearly headed off the field of play. This is obvious from the replay. It seems that kid doesn't know where he is or needs to be half the time. He's a headache for Clifford and seems to throw off the rhythm of the offense.

It's the lack of discipline that bothers me most about Franklin-coached teams. Call it attention to detail if you want, but I think it runs deeper. Franklin is always trying to generate enthusiasm and remain positive -- which is good -- but there are times when some old-fashioned tough-love is needed. That's hard to do when your approach to players is to be their best friend.

The most egregious example of undisciplined and poorly coached: Joey Porter Jr.. Here is a tremendous athlete but one who could be flagged on every play simply for how he uses his hands. This speaks to his position coach. Worse, Porter could be flagged at the end of every play for unsportsmanlike conduct, which speaks to the priorities of the head coach.

If you are an alum from the JVP era, this is not what you want to see in a Penn State uniform. Should Franklin decide to leave, he can take the likes of Porter right along with him.

As for yesterday, I was pleased with the effort from the team. But it leaves the obvious question: Where was this team last week, and why? If it wants to be "elite," then it needs to have elite preparation and discipline. Discipline starts with the man at the top. He is the one responsible for the makeup of the team, and which parts see the field.

Reactions: Omar81 and Grass

fairfaxlion2

Oct 12, 2014
The most egregious example of undisciplined and poorly coached: Joey Porter Jr.. Here is a tremendous athlete but one who could be flagged on every play simply for how he uses his hands. This speaks to his position coach. Worse, Porter could be flagged at the end of every play for unsportsmanlike conduct, which speaks to the priorities of the head coach.

Do we really know that's all on the coach? Most of us remember what his dad was like in the NFL

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
Do we really know that's all on the coach? Most of us remember what his dad was like in the NFL

Doesn't matter what his dad was like, or even if Porter cannot control himself.

What matters is that Franklin puts him on the field. JVP would have had him on the bench until he changes.

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
Or the Lovett pass "route".

Was Lovett touched? Yes, but not before he was clearly headed off the field of play. This is obvious from the replay. It seems that kid doesn't know where he is or needs to be half the time. He's a headache for Clifford and seems to throw off the rhythm of the offense.

It's the lack of discipline that bothers me most about Franklin-coached teams. Call it attention to detail if you want, but I think it runs deeper. Franklin is always trying to generate enthusiasm and remain positive -- which is good -- but there are times when some old-fashioned tough-love is needed. That's hard to do when your approach to players is to be their best friend.

If you are an alum from the JVP era, this is not what you want to see in a Penn State uniform. Should Franklin decide to leave, he can take the likes of Porter right along with him.

As for yesterday, I was pleased with the effort from the team. But it leaves the obvious question: Where was this team last week, and why? If it wants to be "elite," then it needs to have elite preparation and discipline. Discipline starts with the man at the top. He is the one responsible for the makeup of the team, and which parts see the field.
Very sound. Franklin is a good guy and a good/very good coach.

But this is who he is and what his teams are…not disciplined enough to win games decided by details on the margins. Certainly not against great coaches like Ryan Day. Or even sometimes against the Bret B or Kirk F’s, etc.

Porter has played great football this year. But I think you would play with a little humility after losing to Illinois on your home field last week?

It is time for a new style of leadership (actually the old Penn State style). I think we have seen what the current leadership is - good but not good enough. And not winning (or losing) with enough class or humility.

Reactions: PSUfiji and TheGLOV