ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Ohio State Game Thread

I agree it was a bad call and I would’ve thrown to the tight end, but we were only in this position because of the drops in key situations earlier in the game. God, if you told me we had 500 total yards of offense and held Ohio state under 30 points, I would expect a two touchdown victory.

Bottom line we blew a two score lead with 8 minutes left.

Bottom line Urban put the ball in his QB hand to win the game. Franklin took the ball out of his QB hand.

Bottom line this is the worst LB group I seen at PSU. They can’t tackle.

My 3 biggest plays that resulted in the loss are:

The fumble by Sanders.

The refs stopping play to prevent a quick count play by PSU for a potential 1st down, thereby allowing OSU to substitute on D.

The biggest bonehead play call on 4th and 5 at the end of the game. Did someone on the coaching staff have money riding on OSU to win?

Reactions: okinburg1
If we win out there is still a chance.... I hope
I'm sticking with my 9-3 forecast. The defense fed off the crowd and played much better than expected for 3 quarters but they reverted back in the 4th qtr.

I didn't expect to win this game but it hurts when you seem to have it in hand and let it slip away. Again!

Reactions: fairgambit
The last offensive play call was the worst I’ve ever seen. But stil not bad enough to make me forget the bullshit play call to Tommy Stevens in the first quarter when we had first down at the OSU 17. That deserves its own spot in the moronic playcall hall of fame. And constantly getting caught in blitzes on screen passes is hardly “a pretty good job of getting kids in position to make plays” — unless you mean the Ohio State kids.
If Stevens would have caught the ball, it wouldn’t have been as bad. God damn kids don’t execute, but it’s the coaches’ fault.

I'm sticking with my 9-3 forecast. The defense fed off the crowd and played much better than expected for 3 quarters but they reverted back in the 4th qtr.

I didn't expect to win this game but it hurts when you seem to have it in hand and let it slip away. Again!
I agree. This team is not good enough to beat Michigan on the road, and we'll lose one more that is unexpected. Life goes on.

My 3 biggest plays that resulted in the loss are:

The fumble by Sanders.

The refs stopping play to prevent a quick count play by PSU for a potential 1st down, thereby allowing OSU to substitute on D.

The biggest bonehead play call on 4th and 5 at the end of the game. Did someone on the coaching staff have money riding on OSU to win?

I know you're being humorous with your last point about someone on the coaching staff having money on OSU but I jokingly thought the same thing. The call defies any logical explanation so you have to break out the tin foil hat stuff.

PSU made more mistakes. Dropped passes, lost fumble, missed FG and missed tackles especially by the CBs. OSU is better in the trenches and we couldn't overcome it.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I know you're being humorous with your last point about someone on the coaching staff having money on OSU but I jokingly thought the same thing. The call defies any logical explanation so you have to break out the tin foil hat stuff.
You obviously got my sarcasm.

Reactions: Madsol
I’m going to stand up for the play call here.

Rewatch it in slow motion, if 71 blocks #2, Sanders walks to the end zone. 7 of Ohio States players were on the left side of the line. Trace ran the RPO and made the right call, if he holds it, he has no time to pass or run. Ohio States stunt with #2 could not have been executed any more perfectly.
Pass to #87. End of story. He had the entire right side of the field open to him, most likely in one on one coverage. Running the RPO in that situation, and especially giving it to Sanders, got exactly what it deserved. A dumbass play call that will go down in history.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
As a unit the WRs have been a disappointment. Had really hoped Shorter could make an impact but no such luck. Just no difference makers other than Hamler.

If Stevens would have caught the ball, it wouldn’t have been as bad. God damn kids don’t execute, but it’s the coaches’ fault.

It was a TD if Stevens catches the ball. Hamler was wide open. Why the staff is at fault for that is a mystery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ILLINOISLION
As another poster hinted, you must be related to one of the coaches if you’re defending that play call. OSU absolutely could not stop us on that first drive, so we stopped ourselves. That play was negative from the word go. Featuring a guy repeatedly who hadn’t played a down all year really worked well, I guess?

As another poster hinted, you must be related to one of the coaches if you’re defending that play call. OSU absolutely could not stop us on that first drive, so we stopped ourselves. That play was negative from the word go. Featuring a guy repeatedly who hadn’t played a down all year really worked well, I guess?
If he caught it, he had a receiver wide open for a TD. But yeah, that’s all on the coaches.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Polk’s drop, Johnson’s drop, Reid missed tackle on the TD, TCF’s missed tackle which led to a TD, a missed FG, a RB tripping over his feet instead of getting a first down and so forth and so on. None of that was the coaching staff. The staff made a terrible play call on 4th and 5. Other than that they did a pretty good job of getting kids in position to make plays. They didn’t.

Yes, I agree plenty of missed plays by the players. But that happens in every single college game ever. It happens on both sides. My point is that despite those plays, which happen every game, the coaches did not put them in the best position to win. And its the third straight double digit big game 4th quarter lead they've done that with. When is it ok to say that Franklin is bad in that situation? Are you still defending Andy Reid's 2 minute clock management as well?

Reactions: Omar81
We should have won this game, and lost to App st. In any case we will lose 3 games, and finish in the top 20. Just think, there were years in the dark ages that we would be ecstatic to be in this position.

Not surprised that is your forecast since you are such a moron.

Pry called a good first half. It was far better than I had expected. Pressure is what we needed to keep Haskins from throwing it down field. We did that well.

But .... OSU has a good staff. They went to screens in the 2nd half, and we had no answer. We don't run them. So the question is, did we have any preparation against screens? Those plays demand open field tackling, an obvious weakness.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Farmer and Reid absolutely suck. No debate on that point. Johnson actually played well during the first half
I said at least 5 times on here that if Farmer is still starting by this game we were in trouble. Bottom line. Defense folded again in the 4th. F the upperclassmen. Time to play the youth.

Reactions: Omar81
I’m hopeful. Michigan looked mediocre today. We can beat them in that dump. We can beat everyone else. The staff needs to not let a hangover take place like they did with Michigan State last year. I’m concerned though with Hamler missing extended time.

We will learn more about the staff over the next couple of weeks than just what happened.

Disagree

He DL and LBs played lights out.

This game was lost by The :

WRs
Coaches
Menet
Trace
No1. Somewhat. The drops hurt but they still made some plays.

No 2. Yes. Not to put the game into the hands of your senior QB, who played lights out all game is disgusting. Just can't comprehend that decision. I love JF and his staff, but this was beyond anything i can defend.

No 3 and 4. No and no. It's a 60 minute game. Trace played like a senior QB should. And you can't blame the game on one play.

This is on the coaches and the lack of d tackling in the second half.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJTopp99
ADVERTISEMENT