ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Ohi State Game Thread

Exactly. The passing game and QB run (off the pass) was there all game. It was clear we were not going run on them.

I for one can't wait for Moorhead to leave. Have someone else come in, keep 70% of system but be more open to other schemes
We've won 16 of our last 18, but by all means get rid of the coaches.

Coaches didn't lose the game. Players didn't execute in the 4th quarter....tough to beat a good D on the road. They took over the game after the blocked punt.
Disagree. There's no doubt that OSU took over the game but the coaches should have realized the D was gassed and couldn't stop OSU. PSU needed a TD and we played for a FG. Then we got the ball at our 15 and ran 3 straight times again. You just cant give the ball back and rely on your ineffective defense in that situation.

Calling that stupid running play that loses yardage 80% of the time over and over isn't smart coaching. 2nd and 13, 15,17 how many times.

And when will someone in the media finally call out the PSU coaching staff for doing this repeatedly- not just tonight but all season long?

Reactions: WDLion
Franklin and Moorhead spit the bit on this one, just like in the Rose Bowl. Turtled up inside the 10 and on our next to last possession. It would have taken a major screw up for us to lose after Barrett’s fumble, and it happened. Against a team like tOSU, you have to go for the jugular when you have the chance.

Disagree. There's no doubt that OSU took over the game but the coaches should have realized the D was gassed and couldn't stop OSU. PSU needed a TD and we played for a FG. Then we got the ball at our 15 and ran 3 straight times again. You just cant give the ball back and rely on your ineffective defense in that situation.
EXACTLY!! What did Franklin see on the previous series that made him think we were going to stop them there. We needed at least a first down there and 3 straight runs wasn’t going to get that done. Shades of Maryland 2014.

Franklin and Moorhead spit the bit on this one, just like in the Rose Bowl. Turtled up inside the 10 and on our next to last possession. It would have taken a major screw up for us to lose after Barrett’s fumble, and it happened. Against a team like tOSU, you have to go for the jugular when you have the chance.
Yep. The possession after the fumble recovery was the killer.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
EXACTLY!! What did Franklin see on the previous series that made him think we were going to stop them there. We needed at least a first down there and 3 straight runs wasn’t going to get that done. Shades of Maryland 2014.
Exactly. A 1st down would have won that game. Franklin ran 3 times and we punted to mid field. Maryland had the best FG kicker in the conference and all they needed was one 1st down.

Same thing in the Rose bowl. Normally you would milk the clock but our defense was in deep trouble once Bell went down. We needed to keep the offense moving instead of relying on the defense in that situation. A healthy Bell makes it a different situation.

So what was your solution?

Reactions: step.eng69
What has Limegrover done to warrant keeping his job?
The O-line has been a turnstile all 22 games of his tenure

How long until Herbie calls out the Buckeye faithful for booing their offense early in the 4th quarter?

What has Limegrover done to warrant keeping his job?
The O-line has been a turnstile all 22 games of his tenure
So Herb HAnd couldn't do the job yet Auburn is winning. PSU has won. What 18-22 since he's been here and now u want to replace him ?

So Herb HAnd couldn't do the job yet Auburn is winning. PSU has won. What 18-22 since he's been here and now u want to replace him ?
Not saying to replace him, just saying our O-Line has shown ZERO improvement!
ZERO!
Tonight’s display was a solid, solid, solid F!

The problem with the RPO is that the oline has no clue if it's a run or pass. Imagine trying to block if you don't know if it's a run or pass?

Two things stuck out to me, especially in the second half. 1) oline couldn’t block anyone. Osu defenders were in the backfield. The slow developing run plays were a recipe for lost yardage. On that last drive McSorely was running for his life. Would have thought that a swing pass or screen could keep the defenders from running straight up the field. 2) the secondary had issues covering. On the last few drives the OSU players were running free and the dbacks were not seeing the ball when they were in the right position.

The way they lost is a shame. They had OSU by the throat for a lot of the game. The blocked punt is absolutely and totally inexcusable. You are on the opposing team’s 40 yard line. You cannot let a player run through unblocked. All you need to do it get a foot on it.

Its a shame they lost. They have two choices. Win the rest of their games and hope that this year is as crazy as last year. If they win the rest of the games they will be in the conversation. Bama plays GA in SEC championship so one of those teams lose. ND plays Miami (I think). There may be one undefeated team at the end of the year (likely Bama). Ok plays Ok st.

If Penn State wins the rest of their games they will be in the conversation, which is all they can ask for at this point because of the loss today.

The problem with the RPO is that the oline has no clue if it's a run or pass. Imagine trying to block if you don't know if it's a run or pass?
Huh? The OL blocks run. They throw a pass if it's there. RPO does not change the blocking. What I don't like is we don't zone block which leaves too many free runners. RPO has zero to do w it

So what was your solution?

I've answered that several times. We have a 6'6" TE with good ups. We have a 6'4" WR. Throw it up high where only they can catch it. We were on the 5 yard line so McSorley wouldn't need much time.

Elsewhere on the field... Last week they lined Barkley and Gesicki up wide so UM's DTs and LBs couldn't crash the middle. Today they lined Barkley up next to McSorley and kept Gesicki in to block (Barkley went wide a few times but always came back next to McSorley). Could have also lined Barkley (or Stevens) up wide and thrown a half back option pass. There's no guarantee but the odds would be much better. OSU's pass defense was their weakest point. Running into a loaded LOS on the last 3 meaningful possessions was playing not to lose. Not a good idea when your defense hadn't stopped OSU all game and now they were beat up and gassed.

I've answered that several times. We have a 6'6" TE with good ups. We have a 6'4" WR. Throw it up high where only they can catch it. We were on the 5 yard line so McSorley wouldn't need much time.

Elsewhere on the field... Last week they lined Barkley and Gesicki up wide so UM's DTs and LBs couldn't crash the middle. Today they lined Barkley up next to McSorley and kept Gesicki in to block (Barkley went wide a few times but always came back next to McSorley). Could have also lined Barkley (or Stevens) up wide and thrown a half back option pass. There's no guarantee but the odds would be much better. OSU's pass defense was their weakest point. Running into a loaded LOS on the last 3 meaningful possessions was playing not to lose. Not a good idea when your defense hadn't stopped OSU all game and now they were beat up and gassed.
McSorley threw it to high a half dozen times today.

Yep. The possession after the fumble recovery was the killer.
Osu fans started to leave after their fumble. All we had to do was just score and the stadium was gonna empty. Doing nothing with that turnover was the game changer

If we utizilze our receivers and tight ends size advantage in the red zone than this discussion would not be happening. Ohio State used their speed advantage! Field goal would have been 6!

How can anybody defend calling that running play that loses yardage over and over?
You can't, but not one member of the media will have the marbles to call them on it or any other piss poor decisions for that matter.

Ran the same play all night. Barkley in the backfield, Gesicki motions into tight formation, delayed handoff up the middle for negative yards. No sweeps, one shovel pass in Q1, avoided the speed option.

How can anybody defend calling that running play that loses yardage over and over?
Hard to say, but I would guess there was a reason. I seriously doubt our coaches were throwing the game. Who knows what a block or two would have done for the play.

Hard to say, but I would guess there was a reason. I seriously doubt our coaches were throwing the game. Who knows what a block or two would have done for the play.

Sorta like Bullwinkle always trying to pull something out of a hat and Rocky always saying “but that trick never works”!

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Ran the same play all night. Barkley in the backfield, Gesicki motions into tight formation, delayed handoff up the middle for negative yards. No sweeps, one shovel pass in Q1, avoided the speed option.
We lost by 1 on the road, tough place to play, against top 10 opponent with a bunch of 5* lineman on OL and DL, with two of our DE and our LT out. Just win out.

Oh and Florida State lost 35-3. It could be worse.

Yes it sucked and we coulda, shoulda.....but I'll continue to root for our guys!

I am an OSU fan but I come here in peace. It was an awesome game. It is a shame that one team had to lose. Just like OSU fans last year PSU fans will go through many woulda coulda shoulda moments in the analysis of this game. PSU still has a lot to play for . A NY 6 bowl in the very least and if things go well a replay of OSU's road map to the play offs last year.

Good luck going forward and take care of business against Sparty next week.

Reactions: Grass and paws1957
Refs were never gonna call it, but watch Trace get hit way late on our last play. #17 Baker with the first hit(clean), Tyquan Lewis comes in next with a 2nd step and lowers his helmet. To top off the play, Bosa comes in two steps late and very high. Didn't notice it during the game, but it was a boneheaded play by Bosa.

Refs were never gonna call it, but watch Trace get hit way late on our last play. #17 Baker with the first hit(clean), Tyquan Lewis comes in next with a 2nd step and lowers his helmet. To top off the play, Bosa comes in two steps late and very high. Didn't notice it during the game, but it was a boneheaded play by Bosa.

The one thing that PSU fans can not complain about is the officiating. They were clearly given a 7 point gift on the bogus PI call that nullified the interception. Even MY PSU friends freely admitted that The second 7 point gift on the battle for the ball was not as clear cut as the first call but I did not see enough there to reverse. I would have been fine if it was called a TD on the field but if you take the rule literally of there having to be indisputable evidence to reverse I just did not see it.

ADVERTISEMENT