ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Iowa Game Thread

Toss sweeps to who?? Our RB’s that run like they’re wearing cement shoes? Which reminds me, did Lovett play today? I don’t remember seeing him. Could’ve helped TR to get the ball to him out in space with a screen or flare concept.
He was in street clothes but don’t know why. Odd he would travel if can’t play

A one yard run is hardly carving. Wow, go root for Kentucky ya chump
Another child resorts to name calling when his argument is worthless.

Thanks. I'll root for who I want.

Clifford has put up 28 35 points on LSU. And all we needed was our backup to put a TD on the board over the last 2 series of the first half and the second half. That's the point I was making. Obvious to the casualest observer with the meagerest of reasoning means.

Cheers.

Another child resorts to name calling when his argument is worthless.

Thanks. I'll root for who I want.

Clifford has put up 28 points on LSU. And all we needed was our backup to put a TD on the board over the last 2 series of the first half and the second half. That's the point I was making. Obvious to the casualest observer with the meagerest of reasoning means.

Cheers.
Every player that touches the ball for KY is carving LSU up….their defense is horrible.

A competent coach not only assumes their starting QB gets injured, they develop worthy replacements in the #2, #3 and #4 slots. That clearly hasn't happened at PSU. It's all on Franklin. No Excuses.
Five years ago, you would have been correct. The transfer portal changed all of that, and we're still not sure what all of the ramifications will be. It's especially true at QB as "there can be only one". Good backups want to start too--and will go somewhere they can.

I hate to burst your bubble of ignorance, but here are Clifford's stats during Trace McSorley's senior season at PSU. I rest my case and am asking for a speedy verdict by a jury of objective peers.

5 Completions on 7 Attempts for 195 yards.

Clifford was the 3rd string QB Trace's senior year. Is it common for 3rd string QBs to get more than 7 pass attempts in a season? I'm not sure. But I bet there are a lot of teams where the 3rd string QB doesn't even get 7 PLAYS during a season let alone 7 pass attempts.

Dude you don’t even know the rule. In college it is different than in the NFL. As long as the ball doesn’t touch or cross the plane it is spotted right there. The body can be anywhere.
Even if the body is in the endzone, touching the ground, while simultaneously touching the ball?

• Haha
Reactions: sob5
Even if the body is in the endzone, touching the ground, while simultaneously touching the ball?
Yes! All that matters is THE BALL not touching the plane. The body can be in the endzone as you’re keeping the ball out. Pretty much the total opposite of the NFL rule.

Yes! All that matters is THE BALL not touching the plane. The body can be in the endzone as you’re keeping the ball out. Pretty much the total opposite of the NFL rule.
Found this from 2007, don't know if this ruling has changed today

When does a scimmagekick become a touchback in NCAA? Can a player reach over the goal line to grab a ball that still has not yet touched the ground in the endzone? Can a player touching the goal line down the ball that is still in the field of play?

No and Yes.

The position of the player in NCAA and what he is touching is irrelevant. The position of the BALL is the sole thing that matters in NCAA. If the ball is over the EZ or the Goal Line, and a player in the field of play jumps, reaches, dives and taps the ball back into the field of play, said player has touched the ball in the endzone (likely a TB, although the receiving team may still return the ball at this point until the ball is dead). if a player is laying in the endzone and reaches into the field of play to prevent a ball from reaching the EZ, the ball is down where it was touched or where it becomes dead.

Reactions: sob5
Meaningful snaps?

Practice is not meaningful.

3 years of practice and meetings and film study, and.....

The backup Oklahoma QB had how many "meaningful snaps" before he won the game for them today against likely a better team than Iowa.
I don't want to criticize the young man going out in front of that crowd. It's true that there is no substitute for real game action. I just don't understand why the coaches don't put QB 2 and QB 3 in for a series earlier in the game and WITH the first string offense provided that there's a big enough lead such as the Indiana game. Instead they get put in for the last series or two at most and many times just end up taking a knee to kill the clock. And they get put in the with second and third string offense. Other position second stringers get put into the game all the time relatively early in the game. I'll never understand why not just PSU but other teams don't do so with at least QB 2? Yeah, I'm not a coach or anything close to having that knowledge but sure seems like common sense in order to possibly avert a complete break down of the offense as we witnessed Saturday.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I don't want to criticize the young man going out in front of that crowd. It's true that there is no substitute for real game action. I just don't understand why the coaches don't put QB 2 and QB 3 in for a series earlier in the game and WITH the first string offense provided that there's a big enough lead such as the Indiana game. Instead they get put in for the last series or two at most and many times just end up taking a knee to kill the clock. And they get put in the with second and third string offense. Other position second stringers get put into the game all the time relatively early in the game. I'll never understand why not just PSU but other teams don't do so with at least QB 2? Yeah, I'm not a coach or anything close to having that knowledge but sure seems like common sense in order to possibly avert a complete break down of the offense as we witnessed Saturday.
Does everyone forget that Clifford was adapting to a new system and new OC as well? He needed as many snaps as he could get under the new system. It’s great to think the top three QB’s can all get multiple snaps to be ready if needed, but it’s not going to happen in a new system.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
An extra series vs Ball State or Villanova wasn't going to make a difference this past Saturday night. Now had we given him a drive vs Wisconsin or Auburn, that would have been meaningful.

Reactions: psuguy43
And stupid

I'm not advocating that we should have.

I'm advocating that those snaps would have been meaningful.

Garbage time snaps mean very little. One extra series against a team your starters just thumped doesn't prepare you for the #2 defense on the road.

Reactions: psuguy43

Garbage time snaps mean very little. One extra series against a team your starters just thumped doesn't prepare you for the #2 defense on the road.
Even if it's more the the #15 team than the #2.

Reactions: lazydave841
Even if it's more the the #15 team than the #2.

That win was like an old Paterno team. It wasn't pretty, but they got it done. Until they drop a game, they are where they are.

Their fans that came here and talked good are either being respectful or got banned. The ones who are still here are $hit. Their ain't no way they could feel good about a rematch in the CCG. They barely won at home.

Fair enough, just a total confluence of disastrous situations making this really tough on the young QB and coaches. New OC, tough early schedule with limited time to ready a back-up, 2nd string transfers out in spring, kid was recruited for a totally different offense, on the road, perpetually backed up. Ugh

Reactions: lazydave841
Fair enough, just a total confluence of disastrous situations making this really tough on the young QB and coaches. New OC, tough early schedule with limited time to ready a back-up, 2nd string transfers out in spring, kid was recruited for a totally different offense, on the road, perpetually backed up. Ugh

I'm disappointed, but not dejected. I have faith that Roberson will play better the next time we see him. I don't know if he could lead us to 11-1 THIS YEAR, but I hope Clifford is ready to go by the OSU game.

Reactions: ram2020
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT