ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Iowa Game Thread

Mention the injury? It was the reason we lost not an oh by the way.

Agreed. Still just part of it. You have to play the game with the players available.

If Iowa is really 3rd in the country(they shouldn't be) and penn state loses by 3 to them on the road with their backup qb in for most of the game, I think you can actually be proud of your team guys, its okay you know. We weren't beating Alabama in the championship this year, but remember, we were 0-5 at this point last year. This team is improving massiveley and fought hard. Is my positivity here totally misplaced?

No sir. Thank you!

Because it is HIS fault for not giving the back up QB who has been in the program any meaningful snaps for the 3 years he has been in the program. Not rocket science, dude.

Roberson was the #3 until this year. It's fairly obvious that SC needed a lot of work with Yurcich to overcome his shortcomings.

Bad breaks are just that. The lack of a running game was brutal with an inaccurate backup QB.

Reactions: ram2020
We're not talking calls.. we're talking player development..

Here are Roberson's (a 3rd year player) pre-game participation statistics. All on Franklin...No Excuses...

STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
Yep, it's on Franklin that the #9 duel threat QB coming out of H.S. can't hit the broad side of a barn when he finally gets his chance. After 3 years of practice and this past year being developed as the obvious backup.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe Roberson just doen't have it to perform in big games? Who really knows. But all we do know is that a very good coaching staff, one that won 11 games in the best division in P5 in multiple years, with a very proven OC this year that is also a proven developer of QB's, believed that Roberson was the best option behind Clifford. Maybe that doesn't say much for the hit the ground running ability of Veilleux, or maybe lots of other theories. We may never know. But we do know that blaming Franklin for Clifford getting hurt, or blaming him for the Portal and Levis leaving, or blaming him for Roberson's inability to throw a football with any accuracy in more than a half of football at Iowa tonight is pretty lame.

And when should he have played? Please, enlighten us with your coaching expertise. Which game would have prepared him for tonight and not gotten Franklin fried for putting him in.
As far as I remember Roberson has been brought in at an appropriate time this year. Some guys just don’t have it when their number is called

Yeah but Levis wasn't willing to sit behind Clifford. So there's not much that can be done about that
Without the transfer portal WL is still at PSU and they win the game today. Can't blame Franklin for the portal's existence...

PSU scheduled more than enough cupcakes to allow 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers to see meaningful action, but Franklin insisted on playing his starter longer than necessary.

We all saw this coming.... it was just a matter of time.
So now he’s supposed to see into the future, know that two years down the road his 2nd string QB would transfer and his starter would get hurt in a top five matchup so he better get his third and fourth string QB’s meaningful snaps. Good lord, you need to find another hobby. Everyone “sees it coming” after the fact.

Yep, it's on Franklin that the #9 duel threat QB coming out of H.S. can't hit the broad side of a barn when he finally gets his chance. After 3 years of practice and this past year being developed as the obvious backup.
Yes, it's on Franklin. Yet another example of Franklin not developing the players he recruits...even the marginal ones. Roberson has no business playing for a FCS team..

You might dislike me for my brutal honesty... I'm okay with that.

It's not apples and oranges...it's preparation and being ready for basic things like taking snaps and being able to deliver short to intermediate passes. Excuses won't change anything. OU's freshman qb won a game over Texas and ours looked like he would have a hard time making a top level HS program.
Perhaps it was not your intention, but you make a fine case for "Jimmys and the Joes"...Occam's Razor suggests that the difference in the game was Clifford vs QB2, not coaching, scheme, motivation, etc...it isn't complicated.

LOL...with respect there are 2 scholarship options...Roberson and Veilleux (sp?)...the discussion should rightfully shift to QB recruiting and regardless of opinions about QB2 & QB3 I suspect most agree MY is off to a good start in that respect.
It's not so much recruiting them, it's keeping them.

So now he’s supposed to see into the future, know that two years down the road his 2nd string QB would transfer and his starter would get hurt in a top five matchup so he better get his third and fourth string QB’s meaningful snaps. Good lord, you need to find another hobby. Everyone “sees it coming” after the fact.
A competent coach not only assumes their starting QB gets injured, they develop worthy replacements in the #2, #3 and #4 slots. That clearly hasn't happened at PSU. It's all on Franklin. No Excuses.

It's not apples and oranges...it's preparation and being ready for basic things like taking snaps and being able to deliver short to intermediate passes. Excuses won't change anything. OU's freshman qb won a game over Texas and ours looked like he would have a hard time making a top level HS program.
And you have no idea what they’ve done in practice to get Roberson ready, but by all means, don’t let a lack of information sway your argument. I guess he should have gotten half the snaps in every game, then he’d be ready….of course, we would have been 2-3 coming into the game, but our backup would have been better prepared.

Yes, it's on Franklin. Yet another example of Franklin not developing the players he recruits...even the marginal ones. Roberson has no business playing for a FCS team..

You might dislike me for my brutal honesty... I'm okay with that.
I don't dislike anyone for giving their opinion.

But I don't agree with you much on this topic. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And as much as I am disappointed in Roberson's play this evening I'm not ready to throw him totally under the bus as you just did. If Franklin and Yurcich believe he is the best QB on the roster to try and win games that's just the way it is and I'll have to be happy with that until there are better options available.

A competent coach not only assumes their starting QB gets injured, they develop worthy replacements in the #2, #3 and #4 slots. That clearly hasn't happened at PSU. It's all on Franklin. No Excuses.
And how do they do that? It’s certainly not playing them in meaningful games because that never happens. I seem to recall Clemson losing when Trevor Lawrence got Covid….so I guess Dabo is a bad coach too.

Now I know you are a dope. There probably isn’t a team in the country including Alabama that has “worthy” fourth team

Reactions: mn78psu83
And you have no idea what they’ve done in practice to get Roberson ready, but by all means, don’t let a lack of information sway your argument. I guess he should have gotten half the snaps in every game, then he’d be ready….of course, we would have been 2-3 coming into the game, but our backup would have been better prepared.
lol ok...u are such an apologist for JF and the program. You don't have any more info than I do...what we all had tonight is our eyes watching that debacle. So clearly, as JF says "they need to look at what they are doing." Clearly a 3rd year QB wasn't anywhere near ready to run the offense. Heck, we needed Roberson to complete maybe 2 or 3 intermediate throws at points in the 2nd half and we win easily. What makes it worse is that they had a halftime to figure out some things and condense things or give him some easy reads...if he came in the 2nd half out of the blue...I wouldn't be as critical

No I’m not. Just an observation for those watching other games. I have no conclusion. It’s painful we couldn’t keep him and when we did we didn’t use his passing skills.
OK thank you for the response...with the ongoing banter I was simply going to point out that references to Levis must be compared with Clifford, not Roberson, since the reason Levis transferred was to START, not to be a backup...that's all

lol ok...u are such an apologist for JF and the program. You don't have any more info than I do...what we all had tonight is our eyes watching that debacle. So clearly, as JF says "they need to look at what they are doing." Clearly a 3rd year QB wasn't anywhere near ready to run the offense. Heck, we needed Roberson to complete maybe 2 or 3 intermediate throws at points in the 2nd half and we win easily. What makes it worse is that they had a halftime to figure out some things and condense things or give him some easy reads...if he came in the 2nd half out of the blue...I wouldn't be as critical
Yes you would, but likely for different reasons.

Yes you would, but likely for different reasons.
ok whatever...they coughed the game away without Cliff...Iowa's offense is hot garbage and it didn't take much more to win this game even without Cliff. Like it or not.

ok whatever...they coughed the game away without Cliff...Iowa's offense is hot garbage and it didn't take much more to win this game even without Cliff. Like it or not.
We’re an average team without our three year starting QB….but you could say that about every team in the country minus a couple. That’s college football these days.

We’re an average team without our three year starting QB….but you could say that about every team in the country minus a couple. That’s college football these days.
Ehh...yes we are and others would be too...but I think its less than we think thanks to the portal. We absolutely needed any warm body with more experience to add to that room and didnt. At the end of the day, not having an OL worth it's salt and inability to run vs ANYONE...isn't sustainable when Cliff has to pass all the time and keep it on runs himself. It's a high risk situation that isn't sustainable.

Ehh...yes we are and others would be too...but I think its less than we think thanks to the portal. We absolutely needed any warm body with more experience to add to that room and didnt. At the end of the day, not having an OL worth it's salt and inability to run vs ANYONE...isn't sustainable when Cliff has to pass all the time and keep it on runs himself. It's a high risk situation that isn't sustainable.
Because so many QB’s enter the portal looking to be a backup QB somewhere.

That's some weak trolling. You made me laugh because it was so bad.
I know trolling. That's wasn't trolling.

The brutal truth (e.g. McSorley, Clifford) is that Franklin leaves his QB's in games far too long and clearly doesn't do a good job at developing lower/newer roster personnel. His lack of judgement bit him in the ass today...and will likely cost him a few more games this season.

I hate to be pesky purveyor of inconvenient truths, but it is what it is... 🤷‍♂️

Because so many QB’s enter the portal looking to be a backup QB somewhere.
Some leave worse programs knowing they could be a number 2 at a better place...it happens. I'm not trying to convince you of anything b/c that surely won't happen...but a mildly competent performance by Roberson and/or the OL gets the job done. Like all we needed was 'just ok' to beat an Iowa team on the road...instead they were horrendous. I just think at this stage of the program that truly can't happen.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Anyone else watching our backup QB carve up LSU?

He just had a 30+ yard run during which he broke more tackles than all of PSU's running backs have broken this whole half of a season......

Cheers.

Last edited:
Anyone else watching our backup QB carve up LSU?

He just had a 30+ yard run during which he broke more tackles than all of PSU's running back have broken this whole half of a season......

Cheers.
LSU has completely fallen apart this year. Big Ed will be gone probably before the year is over.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I agree that TR should have received more meaningful PT by now. I don't understand that but I assume he's had plenty of reps in practice.

I'm a little disappointed that Yurcich wasn't more creative. I mentioned a lateral to Dotson and forward pass to a TE. Maybe some toss sweeps.
Toss sweeps to who?? Our RB’s that run like they’re wearing cement shoes? Which reminds me, did Lovett play today? I don’t remember seeing him. Could’ve helped TR to get the ball to him out in space with a screen or flare concept.

Reactions: sylvanialion
Heck, we needed Roberson to complete maybe 2 or 3 intermediate throws at points in the 2nd half and we win easily.
Exactly...and the throws were there, within the context of him running the offense, despite the egregious self-inflicted penalties. QB2 simply was off-target with the passes...Jimmys and the Joes.

The brutal truth (e.g. McSorley, Clifford) is that Franklin leaves his QB's in games far too long and clearly doesn't do a good job at developing lower/newer roster personnel. His lack of judgement, bit him in the ass today...and will likely cost him a few more games this season.

I hate to be pesky purveyor of inconvenient truths, but it is what it is... 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, so Clifford wasn't ready when McSorley left? Levis didn't step in for Clifford when needed? LOL Levis must have performed well enough as a backup that people lament his departure every week. I hate to be pesky purveyor of inconvenient truths and to use your own logic to completely undermine your point, but it is what it is... 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: lazydave841
As far as I remember Roberson has been brought in at an appropriate time this year. Some guys just don’t have it when their number is called

Or, perhaps Iowa has a really good defense. They took advantage. They did exactly what they had to. It was looking like a 22-20 FG loss at the last second.

Credit to our defense, they had everything dumped on them and they didn't fall apart. They did well to only have one supportive drive post-FG that put us up 17-3.

Yeah, so Clifford wasn't ready when McSorley left?
I hate to burst your bubble of ignorance, but here are Clifford's stats during Trace McSorley's senior season at PSU. I rest my case and am asking for a speedy verdict by a jury of objective peers.

5 Completions on 7 Attempts for 195 yards.

I hate to burst your bubble of ignorance, but here are Clifford's stats during Trace McSorley's senior season at PSU. I rest my case and am asking for a speedy verdict by a jury of objective peers.

Yes, and in Clifford's first year as QB1 he was grossly unprepared due to only getting 7 pass attempts the year before? LOL at those who destroy their own points!

Also, you neglected to mentioned Levis in your reply? 🤷‍♂️

And Kerry Collins’ first year…3 completions on 6 attempts for 95 yards. Joe didn’t properly prepare him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT