ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Illinois game thread

🍸 Midnighter Bar Halftime Specials🍸

Des Moines Hangover - Johnny Walker Black, Honey Simple Syrup, Light Cream - $15.00

Homecoming - Yuengling Porter, Moet & Chandon - $13.00

O-Line -

Thank You for Zemaitis - North Shore Distillery Gin No. 11, Lillet Rose, Lemon Twist - $14.50

Outkicking Your Coverage - $4.2mm /year, No prenup.

⬇️

jen-bielema-vegas-594x594-4eb5536363693deac0df741b1f38e7fe.jpg

Malibu-ya - Grey Goose Vodka, Malibu Rum, One Way Ticket to Los Angeles - $2,000.00

Tip your bartenders folks - or they'll leave to work at McDonalds!

giphy.gif
I need 4 Des Moines hangovers, 2 Homecomings, 15 TYfZ's and I can't afford her...pre-nup or post-up.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I've been hesitant to post this, but with each game I watch, it has become apparent that Franklin is as one dimensional as how his teams play. He is an awesome recruiter. But he just has difficulty putting a diverse, consistent product on the field. For one thing, he is having difficulty finding a good OL coach. It also seems his teams lack good, solid fundamentals.....poor blocking, poor tackling, mental mistakes, bad decisions etc etc. All these reflect coaching.
It can’t be the OL coach every year. It has to be the type of offense (finesse) that Franklin runs. He is obsessed with “explosive plays”.

going into the season, it was known that there were a couple players we could not lose - SC and PJ were the two most often discussed. essentially we have lost both for the season. also for several years, our offense has depended on having a QB who is a threat to run and will create yards in the run game. that was missing today.

at this point, we do NOT have a single QB on the team that can generate offense. We also have a very beat up defense as many games have been slug fests. IMHO we should start looking at players on the OL to possibly move to DL. we have done this in the past, and Joe did it with some good players going in both directions. we need some size on DTs to stop what is going on in the interior. not sure it would not have been helpful to move someone like Dawkins or Dez to DL when Ill was in their 7 OL sets. smash mouth is not that creative.

Ilinois 67 carries for 357 yards.
PSU 29 carries for 62 yards.

Talk about getting handled on the LOS.
This was by an Illinois O line that just got hammered by their coach for being awful, yet they get 357 rushing yards against Penn State’s (supposedly) good D.

Meanwhile, the Penn St O line only gets 62 yards rushing against the 102nd ranked terrible Illinois D.

Let that sink in for a minute. There is a major coaching problem at Penn St.

This was by an Illinois O line that just got hammered by their coach for being awful, yet they get 357 rushing yards against Penn State’s (supposedly) good D.

Meanwhile, the Penn St O line only gets 62 yards rushing against the 102nd ranked terrible Illinois D.

Let that sink in for a minute. There is a major coaching problem at Penn St.
The guy is an A#1 tool, but Bielema had his team motivated and prepared to play. CJF and PSU? Not so much.

Agree. 2 weeks to prepare Robison and have a mobile QB. Clifford looked like Roethlisberger back there.
And now he's more dinged up for Ohio State. Shades of JVP playing Darryl Clark vs Iowa, not allowing him to run the HD offense, as we lose a very frustrating game, while Devlin rotted on bench prior to transferring out.

Still, behind the legs of Royster, the Lions offense marched down the field and with 6:45 left in the fourth quarter, Devlin snuck one in for a score. The extra point made it 10-6 in Penn State's favor.

The Nittany Lions would go on to kick another field goal and beat the Buckeyes 13-6 in Columbus. This was Penn State's first win at Ohio State since joining the Big Ten.

The emotions were bittersweet. Many were worried about Clark's status for the next game at Iowa while others were celebrating, rioting on the streets of State College.

Some, especially NFL scouts, were excited because they thought they would get a chance to see Pat Devlin, a big, strong-armed passer with decent mobility.

Scouts agree that Devlin was and still is a much better pro prospect than Clark.

But, with an extra week of rest before they travel to Iowa, Penn State was able to get Clark healthy enough to play in what would be the most disastrous game for Penn State in years.

Their hopes were dashed on Nov. 8, 2008, when Iowa upset No. 3 Penn State.

Daryll Clark was devastated.

Rumors of Pat Devlin transferring were being grumbled from Beaver Avenue all the way down to Downington, Devlin's hometown.

Prior to the Rose Bowl, it was announced that Pat Devlin would transfer to Delaware.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but after a porous season thus far for Penn State and Clark, although much of the blame should be placed on the coaches and offensive line, one has to wonder where Penn State would be right now if Paterno had chosen Devlin over Clark.

With little film to go off of, Iowa's head coach Kirk Ferentz, would have had a much more difficult time game-planning for Devlin.

Penn State, hypothetically, could have beaten Iowa and proceed to run the table. Being undefeated would have surely guaranteed them a spot in the national championship over the one-loss Oklahoma Sooners.

Penn State, could they have been crowned national champions in 2008, quite possibly, but they weren't and we will never find out.

Pat Devlin is succeeding in Delaware in 2009, the same school that produced first-round pick QB Joe Flacco, selected by the Baltimore Ravens in 2008.

Devlin is completing nearly 66 percent of his passes. He has thrown for 1,252 yards, seven touchdowns, and two interceptions. He has also rushed for four touchdowns, bringing his total touchdowns scored to 11.

Meanwhile, Daryll Clark has completed 61 percent of his throws for 1,133 yards, nine touchdowns, and six interceptions. Clark scored his only two rushing touchdowns last week at Illinois, bringing his total number of trips into paydirt to 11.

But, it seems like time lost for Penn State since we have the whole "who knows what would have happened" scenario with Devlin in 2008. Devlin, a junior, would still have one more year under his belt for the Nittany Lions while Clark will be gone after the season.

Mistakes happen often, and we always wonder what could have been.

According to NFL scout Walter Cherepinsky, Pat Devlin is currently ranked as the No. 10 quarterback prospect for 2010 (as an underclassman) and No. 6 for the 2011 NFL Draft.

Daryll Clark is ranked No. 17 for the 2010 NFL Draft.

Meanwhile, for the 2010 NFL Draft, I have Devlin ranked No. 4 and Clark slotted at No. 19.

Finally, it would be hard for any quarterback to find success behind the makeshift offensive line at Penn State, be it Clark, Devlin,

And now he's more dinged up for Ohio State. Shades of JVP playing Darryl Clark vs Iowa, not allowing him to run the HD offense, as we lose a very frustrating game, while Devlin rotted on bench prior to transferring out.

Still, behind the legs of Royster, the Lions offense marched down the field and with 6:45 left in the fourth quarter, Devlin snuck one in for a score. The extra point made it 10-6 in Penn State's favor.

The Nittany Lions would go on to kick another field goal and beat the Buckeyes 13-6 in Columbus. This was Penn State's first win at Ohio State since joining the Big Ten.

The emotions were bittersweet. Many were worried about Clark's status for the next game at Iowa while others were celebrating, rioting on the streets of State College.

Some, especially NFL scouts, were excited because they thought they would get a chance to see Pat Devlin, a big, strong-armed passer with decent mobility.

Scouts agree that Devlin was and still is a much better pro prospect than Clark.

But, with an extra week of rest before they travel to Iowa, Penn State was able to get Clark healthy enough to play in what would be the most disastrous game for Penn State in years.

Their hopes were dashed on Nov. 8, 2008, when Iowa upset No. 3 Penn State.

Daryll Clark was devastated.

Rumors of Pat Devlin transferring were being grumbled from Beaver Avenue all the way down to Downington, Devlin's hometown.

Prior to the Rose Bowl, it was announced that Pat Devlin would transfer to Delaware.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but after a porous season thus far for Penn State and Clark, although much of the blame should be placed on the coaches and offensive line, one has to wonder where Penn State would be right now if Paterno had chosen Devlin over Clark.

With little film to go off of, Iowa's head coach Kirk Ferentz, would have had a much more difficult time game-planning for Devlin.

Penn State, hypothetically, could have beaten Iowa and proceed to run the table. Being undefeated would have surely guaranteed them a spot in the national championship over the one-loss Oklahoma Sooners.

Penn State, could they have been crowned national champions in 2008, quite possibly, but they weren't and we will never find out.

Pat Devlin is succeeding in Delaware in 2009, the same school that produced first-round pick QB Joe Flacco, selected by the Baltimore Ravens in 2008.

Devlin is completing nearly 66 percent of his passes. He has thrown for 1,252 yards, seven touchdowns, and two interceptions. He has also rushed for four touchdowns, bringing his total touchdowns scored to 11.

Meanwhile, Daryll Clark has completed 61 percent of his throws for 1,133 yards, nine touchdowns, and six interceptions. Clark scored his only two rushing touchdowns last week at Illinois, bringing his total number of trips into paydirt to 11.

But, it seems like time lost for Penn State since we have the whole "who knows what would have happened" scenario with Devlin in 2008. Devlin, a junior, would still have one more year under his belt for the Nittany Lions while Clark will be gone after the season.

Mistakes happen often, and we always wonder what could have been.

According to NFL scout Walter Cherepinsky, Pat Devlin is currently ranked as the No. 10 quarterback prospect for 2010 (as an underclassman) and No. 6 for the 2011 NFL Draft.

Daryll Clark is ranked No. 17 for the 2010 NFL Draft.

Meanwhile, for the 2010 NFL Draft, I have Devlin ranked No. 4 and Clark slotted at No. 19.

Finally, it would be hard for any quarterback to find success behind the makeshift offensive line at Penn State, be it Clark, Devlin,
Uh God please no Devin comparisons. 🤣 If we had a mobile QB out there we would have won.

Shouldn't have thought they needed Clifford to win at home against Illinois???? Give some credit to Illinois , by far the better team today. They must be stoked
We lose our best DL and then the coaches are surprised Illinois goes jumbo and runs the ball down our throat. I can't even. Love CJF but really?

Why are we so thin at all positions?
I’d like to know this too. Oklahoma is playing a true frosh QB, Illinois had to put in their backup and he looked…at least competent. Ours apparently can’t get ready to play a 2-5 Illinois at home. I don’t get it. Pitt doesn’t recruit nearly as well as Penn State and their team looks pretty good across the board.

Reactions: 84Lion and psu00
I’d like to know this too. Oklahoma is playing a true frosh QB, Illinois had to put in their backup and he looked…at least competent. Ours apparently can’t get ready to play a 2-5 Illinois at home. I don’t get it. Pitt doesn’t recruit nearly as well as Penn State and their team looks pretty good across the board.
Pitt blows but I'm just wondering if the 2nd and 3rd team aren't getting much coaching attention?

We don’t have the players

We’re a 9-3 ish school with maybe a 10-2, now and then , maybe 11-1 year once in ten years. We don’t put the emphasis on it as others do. I doubt I see another NC in my lifetime . Hell my twins are 27 now. They were born right before the season.
We can’t move PSU down south and we’re not osu, the big boy northern team. So it is what it is.

As soon as Brisker didn't get the pick in the 1st OT, I knew we were dead. Shades of the dropped pick in the Michigan State game years ago that ended up going the wrong way.

Had flashbacks to the same play. This team just doesn’t make the plays to take that next step. If Franklin couldn’t make it in 2017 with all the talent on that roster he may never.

This season might as well be over.

It all goes back to having no quarterback capable of playing, even average ball, as a backup. Something everyone on the board, with common sense, knew was the case.

Yes, a capable backup would have brought PSU into this game undefeated. But a capable backup QB wouldn't have stopped Illinois from running for 356 yards. Outgained 394 to 227 yards.

In fact I believe that Clifford played better than either of Illinois' QB's. He couldn't run but neither did the IL QB's. PSU should be able to line up and impose their will on Illinois given the recruiting advantage that PSU has had in developing the current roster. This loss was a team effort, including the coaches that failed to adjust to the 7 man fronts, didn't have multiple 3 yard plays, etc......

But one thing I didn't see mentioned much was the fact that Illinois has 20+ super seniors. Mostly men against mostly boys. That is a better excuse for IL imposing it's will today.......

Last edited:
I just don't get how they play 7 olinemen and seal the corners and blow us off the ball and we never make an adjustment. At halftime to me you have to be able to adjust to a 5-2 or something ... anything. That being being said the players offense and defense and coaches all had a part in this... what a mess ...all caught looking ahead to OSU

Did anyone really expect anything good was going to happen today? We have one QB and he's not close to being right from the Iowa game injury. We have no running game (you can blame the line, the RBs, the coaches, the barometric pressure or the ghost of Richard Nixon- it doesn't really matter- we can't run the ball, and won't be able to next week either). The defense is solid, but not perfect, and it has to be perfect with the limitations we have on offense. This isn't the year- it has been clear for awhile now.

Did anyone really expect anything good was going to happen today? We have one QB and he's not close to being right from the Iowa game injury. We have no running game (you can blame the line, the RBs, the coaches, the barometric pressure or the ghost of Richard Nixon- it doesn't really matter- we can't run the ball, and won't be able to next week either). The defense is solid, but not perfect, and it has to be perfect with the limitations we have on offense. This isn't the year- it has been clear for awhile now.
Yep, if you can't run against the first 7 teams, some of which were pretty sorry themselves, you aren't going to run against oh-high-ya.

Need to make some SIGNIFICANT changes on the OL, let some younger players get better to play better at the end of the season and next season. But I don't believe that is in Franklin's DNA. He'll likely just talk about the injuries, depleted depth, and a few more creative excuses that he's probably working on right now........

B1G West.

Oskee Wow Wow and Chief Illiniwek.

Probably even Bell over Dotson right now.

Unbelievable.

Unacceptable.

Franklin's obsession with "explosive plays" is holding this program back. Whenever we have scored a lot of points, it's been guys like Barkley and Dotson doing crazy things, but if ever we get into a dog fight and the opposing team takes away the big plays, we can't manufacture offense. It's like these home run hitting teams in baseball once they face some good pitching in baseball, they just aren't built to manufacture runs and play small ball(big boy ball in football). It's clear that for years our offensive line simply cannot and has not been focused to push a pile 2 yards. Say what you will about Wisconsin and Iowa brand of offensive football, but you just watched Illinois blow our defense off the ball for 4 quarters and I get the glitz of the big throws and such, but if you simply cannot push a defensive front(one that is ranked 100th in the country) back on occasion for a 2 yard run, you are nothing. And this RB rotation thing is just getting so stale, Keveyonn gets the first series and is never heard from again. Pick a back, commit to creating holes, build the explosives around a strong run game. We aren't texas tech playing in the Big 12....it just is not going to win you big games in this league if you are this reliant on the big play. Dotson is going to the NFL next year, who the F are you even going to throw the deep balls to next year?

ADVERTISEMENT