ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - App State game thread

Joe always said you improve the most from the first game to the second. Let’s hope that’s true. There is a lot of talent - it’s just green at this point. Hopefully time will rectify some of the blown coverages and confusion we saw on D. Have faith. It’s the same coaches and recruiting has been lights out. The cupboard isn’t bare. We’re not about to return to the Dark Years. Also, App. State are no slouches. There’s a reason why a lot of P5 teams don’t want to play them. The upside from a first game opponent like that is much better than playing a cupcake - where you learn nothing about your team and can’t see what needs to be fixed.
Unfortunately the perception is that they are a cupcake that we struggled to beat. In today’s scheduling you either play actual cupcakes or you play big teams in week 1.

Don’t forget. PSU first TD was result on a Shitty taunting call.

I'm not sure about that taunting call. The ref was right there. I think he was OK with the guy jawing at #9, but then he hit him with his knee walking over him. I think that was the straw.

That said, App State looked damn good. Sometimes PSU seems to bring out the best in people...

All's well that ends well.

In hindsight, the decision to go for a 56 yard field goal instead of a first down on 4th and 2 probably cost ASU the game. For all they did right today, their coach lost faith in their offense when they had PSU on their heels on defense, and that may have cost them the game. Another 10 yards and a time out with a few seconds left for a makable field goal would have won the game for them. I was seeing 1999 Minnesota all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: herrli
In hindsight, the decision to go for a 56 yard field goal instead of a first down on 4th and 2 probably cost ASU the game. For all they did right today, their coach lost faith in their offense when they had PSU on their heels on defense, and that may have cost them the game. Another 10 yards and a time out with a few seconds left for a makable field goal wound have won the game for them. I was seeing 1999 Minnesota all over again.
Fair point, but that kid has made a bunch of long ones I think. I was hoping we'd block it and run it back like Ohio State 16.

This constant comparison by the media between our game vs Ap state and Michigan’s is so epically stupid.

They were a 1-AA team then. They are a legit FBS (1-A) team now.

In hindsight, the decision to go for a 56 yard field goal instead of a first down on 4th and 2 probably cost ASU the game. For all they did right today, their coach lost faith in their offense when they had PSU on their heels on defense, and that may have cost them the game. Another 10 yards and a time out with a few seconds left for a makable field goal wound have won the game for them. I was seeing 1999 Minnesota all over again.

Agreed. Go for the first down. He might have had a 53 yarder under his belt, but it's not like he's been kicking 50+ FGs regularly. Shorten the kick, maybe even get another shot at the end zone. Your QB was hot. He was seen on camera saying "****!" when they used time out #2 and decided to kick.

ADVERTISEMENT