ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL Penn State Football Spring Game Thread

Blue just looks a lot stronger than White this year.......I am taking Blue and laying the 6.5 points. I also am taking Blue -3.5 and my sons 8 year old baseball team giving 2 runs to the Cardinals in a parlay...... Feeling good about my chances to cash.

Three things I want to see.

1. No injuries
2. Incremental improvement on the offensive line (note: I do not expect major improvement as the majority of the three deep were not recruited to run the type of blocking scheme MY uses).
3. Signs that one of our receivers will make a major leap this season as we have not had a bona fide deep threat since Chris Godwin left the program.

Is it televised? From the B1G website, Greg Schiano has taken over and or colors are now Scarlet and White? We play at SHI stadium? Or did Penn State get bumped for the Rutgers scrimmage?
2:00pm
B1G Spring Football: Penn State

Join Greg Schiano and the Scarlet Knights as they play in the annual Scarlet-White Spring Game at SHI Stadium.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Someone already kind of answered my questions above but what do you guys want to see today? Any players you’ll be watching closely? First look at Manny Diaz’s defense? Let’s hear them!

@CSauertiegPSU, @Justin Morganstein and myself will have all the action for you today from the game.
I don't think we'll see much out of the defense beyond a vanilla approach. I would imagine Diaz spent much of the spring evaluating front seven talent to figure out what approach he wants to take with his 4-3. To my knowledge he has never gone all in on an odd front (which is what our talent says we should use) but he has used a more flexible approach with an Elephant while at Texas, something that the Twerp transfer projects to nicely.

Last edited:
Three things I want to see.

1. No injuries
2. Incremental improvement on the offensive line (note: I do not expect major improvement as the majority of the three deep were not recruited to run the type of blocking scheme MY uses).
3. Signs that one of our receivers will make a major leap this season as we have not had a bona fide deep threat since Chris Godwin left the program.
Agreed about the injuries... FOR SURE !!

Regarding the OL... I REALLY think that a TRUE improvement in the OL will NOT ONLY need improvement from the starters... but also the #2's & #3's also... MANY of who are not even with the team yet... and I guess I'm thinking about guys like JB Nelson, Drew Sheldon, Vega Leone, and Hunter Nourzad... not to mention the others who may be on the VERGE of breaking thru and contributing... The OL needs to improve in EVERY way !!

Regarding the receivers... I don't know why... but I'm JUST not worried ! I think there are 2-3 who could be #1's... and others who will DEFINITELY contribute... BUT, I guess we'll see !!

Drew Allar's accuracy is going to need some work as expected. The tools are there, the potential is sky high but there's quite a bit of refinement to be done in his game.
Being behind on his throws my be due to the practice bring different in front of 40k people instead of just coaches

Are some of the #9 reps actually Beau? Or are they all Christian?? Beau listed as #9 too.

Dom Deluca will be another in a long line of Blue White Stars who don’t see the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: HazletonLion
Are some of the #9 reps actually Beau? Or are they all Christian?? Beau listed as #9 too.
Yeah, it's confusing for us too. We have to rely on the PA announcer. From the press box it's hard to tell the difference unless you're paying close attention to their exact mechanics or such.

Reactions: hlstone
Players that impressed in B-W Game in no particular order:
1) #6 Wheatley S
2) #4 King CB
3) #5 Tinsley WR
4) #7 Saunders WR and 13 Lambert WR
5) All the RBs: 10,13,24 and 28
6) Left footed Place Kicker......
7) #66 Dawkins, #70 Juice , #58 Tangwell......did not study OTs very much, seemed fine.
8) #28 Durant DT, made 1 play; #99 Coziah Izzard
9) none of the QBs looked very good. Clifford makes odd choices with the receivers that he targets. He did it today almost getting Megatron hurt......
10) none of the lbs stood out with the exception of player of the game Dom DeLuca.

Happy to see #20 Isaac Playing, #51 Beamon Playing. Was expecting bigger things from Cole Brevard who I watched in there today.....need a DT next to Mustipher.....I think that our DEs will be pretty solid....worried about LBs....their best LB #23 got swalled up on some blocks by Dawkins and by Tangwell.

Noticed that Parker Washington, Porter Jr., and Brown not on the field at all....or if so very briefly.....

I think that the TEs will be good, but did not show much today.

Players that impressed in B-W Game in no particular order:
1) #6 Wheatley S
2) #4 King CB
3) #5 Tinsley WR
4) #7 Saunders WR and 13 Lambert WR
5) All the RBs: 10,13,24 and 28
6) Left footed Place Kicker......
7) #66 Dawkins, #70 Juice , #58 Tangwell......did not study OTs very much, seemed fine.
8) #28 Durant DT, made 1 play; #99 Coziah Izzard
9) none of the QBs looked very good. Clifford makes odd choices with the receivers that he targets. He did it today almost getting Megatron hurt......
10) none of the lbs stood out with the exception of player of the game Dom DeLuca.

Happy to see #20 Isaac Playing, #51 Beamon Playing. Was expecting bigger things from Cole Brevard who I watched in there today.....need a DT next to Mustipher.....I think that our DEs will be pretty solid....worried about LBs....their best LB #23 got swalled up on some blocks by Dawkins and by Tangwell.

Noticed that Parker Washington, Porter Jr., and Brown not on the field at all....or if so very briefly.....

I think that the TEs will be good, but did not show much today.
Have plenty of skilled talent on offense, it all comes down to the OLine.

I’m convinced the running problems are not player, but rather scheme.
You are 100% correct. Franklin hired a system coach that uses a blocking scheme that most (almost all) of the offensive linemen on the team are not suited to execute. We saw this in 2014 and 2015 when John Donovan insisted on running a hybrid gap/zone scheme with linemen suited to run man blocking (they rated highly on plays when they used man blocking by the way). MY doesn't change his system to suit the talent on hand so expect lumps for two more years at a minimum.

ADVERTISEMENT